This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
    They certainly are the coaches that win at UAA. No qualms there. But nobody on that committee knows enough about hockey to be selecting a coach. Looks more like a business decision than an athletic team decision.
    We are going to agree on this one. I was shocked when I saw the list of names on that committee. How can they accurately analyze a hockey coach's plan to recruit players too and develop talent at the University of Alaska at Anchorage? With no connections to the hockey world, how can they analyze an individual's reputation and character and the level of respect he has attained within the industry. With a crew like that, it's possible that one who is better at presentation than he is at Xs and Os and recruiting could score higher than one who can build a program and win games.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Four finalists have been named by the Athletic Department and the illustrious committee of "experts." The list includes: Chris Brown, Michael Corbett, Gary Heenan and Damon Whitten.

Brown: Former UAA Assistant, Head coach at DIII Marian College
      Corbett: Air Force assistant
      Heenan: Head Coach at DIII Utica College
      Whitten: Former UAA Assistant, Michigan Tech Assistant

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=207267900

Comment

Four finalists have been named by the Athletic Department and the illustrious committee of "experts." The list includes: Chris Brown, Michael Corbett, Gary Heenan and Damon Whitten.

Corbett or whitten. I'm personally surprised Damon is not a head coach anywhere
        Last edited by seawolfpunk; 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM.
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Looks like it wasn't a very deep pool. No experienced head coaches or highly touted assistants. No top USHL coaches either.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Nothing against any of these four guys in particular. But this is an UNDERWHELMING list of finalists. None of these guys bring anything to the table beyond that which Dave Shyiak brought to the program. Any single one of them is likely to perform at roughly the same level as Shyiak or Hill or Talafous did. The Seawolves program will now make a change that isn't really a change at all. I'd sure like to see the list of everyone that actually applied cos I'm stunned that these are the best 4 candidates.

The search committee was obviously COMPLETELY CLUELESS as to the systemic problems that have kept UAA at the bottom. Sad sad sad sad sad day for UAA Hockey.
            Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM.

Comment

What the Hill? Guess UAA decided to punk Doyle and us here at USCHO with a 'short list' last week that wasn't so short after all.

Ah well, the show must go on. My money's on Corbett or Whitten.
              Last edited by Alaskana; 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Dave Shyiak is shaking his head today and likely laughing his arse off.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  Nothing against any of these four guys in particular. But this is an UNDERWHELMING list of finalists. None of these guys bring anything to the table beyond that which Dave Shyiak brought to the program. Any single one of them is likely to perform at roughly the same level as Shyiak or Hill or Talafous did. The Seawolves program will now make a change that isn't really a change at all. I'd sure like to see the list of everyone that actually applied cos I'm stunned that these are the best 4 candidates.
                  Me too. Brown has had losing records in 4 of 8 seasons at his current D-III job, including the last 2 yrs where he's a combined 10 games under .500 AND he's a sub .500 coach for the career. Plus it's been 13 years since he's been at the D-I level. His recruiting experience is at a far lower level and in a far different footprint from where UAA can reasonable expect to draw talent. The other D-III guy (Heenan) has never worked coached or played at the D-I level. He may be a decent candidate if he spent some time as a D-I assistant for 4-5 years. I'm gonna guess it comes down to Whitten and Corbett and Whitten gets the nod based on his UAA ties.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Looks like it wasn't a very deep pool. No experienced head coaches or highly touted assistants. No top USHL coaches either.
                    Hard to tell how deep the pool was. The waters in the pool are a little murky. Kinda hard to see who was in the pool. These are only the "final four" from within the pool. As noted elsewhere on this thread there were no "hockey people" on the search committee. So there is that. Who knows what instructions the committee was given? Were they told to select candidates they thought would accept a certain salary range? What parameters did the committee operate under? Dr Cobb and the Committee has the answers. We don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      Hard to tell how deep the pool was. The waters in the pool are a little murky. Kinda hard to see who was in the pool. These are only the "final four" from within the pool. As noted elsewhere on this thread there were no "hockey people" on the search committee. So there is that. Who knows what instructions the committee was given? Were they told to select candidates they thought would accept a certain salary range? What parameters did the committee operate under? Dr Cobb and the Committee has the answers. We don't.
                      And you can bet that none of us are going to privy to that information...

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I'm gonna guess it comes down to Whitten and Corbett and Whitten gets the nod based on his UAA ties.
                        Damon is a nice guy.

Comment

Certainly is. Good guy, solid coach excellent communicator and very energetic. Plus he's had the experience working with Mel Pearson over the past two years and developing his recruiting network, which is very strong in BC. It's obvious that Mel thought a lot of Damon, keeping him on staff when taking over and bringing Billy Muckalt and Steve Shields, both Michigan guys, along.

Comment

The search committee was obviously COMPLETELY CLUELESS as to the systemic problems that have kept UAA at the bottom. Sad sad sad sad sad day for UAA Hockey.
                            Clueless or not, when the search committee is comprised of people that have somebody to please in the end, they have to vote by party lines. Coaches that report to somebody, holding the purse strings and their potential future tenure, better play nicely and not have independent thoughts. (Politics/Business/The Real World 101)
                            Damon is a nice guy.
                            So was Shyiak. Nice guy doesn't always mean good/successful coach. Not saying he's not a worthy contender, but we can't choose a coach because they are a nice guy (assuming that they don't go the other end of the spectrum and turn into a Talafous either though)

Comment

Brown is a waste of a plane ticket and lodging....

Corbett hands down!

Comment

It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X