PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Why is anyone surprised about D-III coaches being finalists? We are after all being run like a D-III program.
If there was a Division 2 do you think we could upgrade to it?

davyd83
04-17-2013, 08:15 PM
To be fair Norm Bazin came from D-3 Hamilton to UMass Lowell and only took them from a 5 win the year before arrived to 24 then 27 with a frozen four appearance.

Norm Bazin was an 11 year assistant at the D-1 level at Mass-Lowell and Colorado College prior to spending 3 years gaining head coaching experience in D-III. It's not like he just came out of nowhere.

Suze
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Norm Bazin was an 11 year assistant at the D-1 level at Mass-Lowell and Colorado College prior to spending 3 years gaining head coaching experience in D-III. It's not like he just came out of nowhere.

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to see an actual breakdown of the four applicants job history.

joecct
04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info. It would be nice to see an actual breakdown of the four applicants job history.

try hockeydb.com

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Is the coaches public appearance as close as we'll ever get to the "Final Four"?
Yeah I know, lame attempt at humour.

Hammer
04-17-2013, 09:03 PM
try hockeydb.com

They don't necessarily do the best job with coaches records. You're better off bumping around the team history pages here, for current head coaches.

hockeyjunkie10
04-17-2013, 09:19 PM

I am one of the biggest Norm Bazin supporters on Earth (see the thread on Hockey East Coach Rankings from the middle of the season) but he is an anomaly. If not for his accident, he would have had a D1 HC job much sooner. It just so happened that he went to Hamilton and then to Lowell, but he would've had success at Lowell with or without Hamilton. I know Norm Bazin, and none of the candidates here are Norm Bazin...

AnchorsAway
04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
This. And this would get AD's fired most places but UAA is content with it. DISGUSTING.

Lake State feels your pain, our AD and entire administration is complacent and its maddening!

davyd83
04-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I am one of the biggest Norm Bazin supporters on Earth (see the thread on Hockey East Coach Rankings from the middle of the season) but he is an anomaly. If not for his accident, he would have had a D1 HC job much sooner. It just so happened that he went to Hamilton and then to Lowell, but he would've had success at Lowell with or without Hamilton. I know Norm Bazin, and none of the candidates here are Norm Bazin...i couldn't agree with you more. As a fellow alum of the Birmingham Bulls organization, it's great to se that Norm has done so well. Worked his bitt off to get where he's at now.

cF[Authentic]
04-17-2013, 10:26 PM
If it makes any difference, Corbett is really excited to possibly work at UAA. He doesn't see it as a second rate school and believes he can win early. Having worked with him at AFA I agree that he would be a good fit. He is a players coach but the admin loves him too.

ninelives
04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Just a little history lesson, Chris Brown while at UAA recruited the "zap" line, Gregg Zaporzan, Steve Cygan and Mike Scott, along with goalie Gregg Naumenko.

Suze
04-17-2013, 11:33 PM
;5711418']If it makes any difference, Corbett is really excited to possibly work at UAA. He doesn't see it as a second rate school and believes he can win early. Having worked with him at AFA I agree that he would be a good fit. He is a players coach but the admin loves him too.

I think many UAA fans think he's the best choice.

Old Pio
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Of course I'm biased. But, based on his CV, the Seawolves could do way worse than Mike Corbett.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Wonder what Warner thinks of Corbett? Has anyone asked him?

ninelives
04-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Warner came to UAA from Army so I am not sure that he would know that much about Corbett

hop-less
04-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.

Suze
04-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Of the four finalists, I think the logical choice is corbett. Which probably means cobb will give the job to somebody else.

:)

Fishman'81
04-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Utica had a hell of a team this year.

But for as good of a record as he has, this was his first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years.

FWIW, Heenan wasn't allowed to recruit in Canada until the year before last. This season, he put together the best record in D-3, by any reasonable measure.

If you look at the rosters of those teams which have made the D-3 FF, they are loaded with 20+ YO's from the OJHL, et al... Just like a lot of D-1 teams.

And Heenan is from Ontario... Might work in Alaska; who knows?

AlaskaRox
04-18-2013, 02:13 AM

http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/dd1cf3b9-784f-4c19-b1cd-51820a5403dc_zps4768a1ef.jpg

Cobb here.

Any messages for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (( http://i291.***********.com/albums/ll300/bluemontana/d015.gif ))

ADK11
04-18-2013, 11:05 AM
FWIW, Heenan wasn't allowed to recruit in Canada until the year before last. This season, he put together the best record in D-3, by any reasonable measure.

If you look at the rosters of those teams which have made the D-3 FF, they are loaded with 20+ YO's from the OJHL, et al... Just like a lot of D-1 teams.

And Heenan is from Ontario... Might work in Alaska; who knows?Problem is that there aren't as many D-1 prospects in Ontario anymore and there is plenty of competition from eastern schools and some of the old CCHAs. Ontario is great for D-III recruits, but the BCHL and even AJHL are better for D-1 level talent. Doesn't look like Heenan has done much in western Canada or the USHL, which is where the most likely recruits for UAA would come from. ..and FWIW, Heenan was not very contrite when he got fired from Union and made some pretty snarky comments on leaving. He didn't seem to get that he had totally dissed the school and his boss with his statements.

On the other hand, Heenan is a very sharp and energetic coach that built a successful team & program from nothing. From what I've heard he is a very good bench coach and program builder. He is also pretty cocky and brash with his comments at times, but maybe that's what UAA needs. When Leaman came to Union he ruffled a few feathers and didn't have many recruiting contacts in western Canada either, but over time he built a winner and built a name for Union in recruiting circles.

Not sure if Heenan is the answer, but best of luck to the Seawolves and hope they find the right person.