This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Growing up on the Kenai, I was a UAA fan. UAA's still my second favorite team behind only my alma mater. I watched just about every home game online this year.

At this point, I just want UAA to have a winning season. That, for me, hasn't happened since preschool. Hill couldn't bring the team to that level back in 2001-2005, and I doubt he'd be able to do that in 2013. Plus, as established, the guy has no loyalty or spine.

Say what you want about Dennis Sorenson. Point blank, he's not qualified for an NCAA D-I head coaching job yet. But at least he cares about Anchorage and UAA, thus making him an infinitely better choice than Hill.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Going out on a limb here, but what I think I read was the search committees' list of finalists would be forwarded to Cobb. The number of finalists would be left to the committee. Only those names would be released and the timing of the release was uncertain. Anyone remember it that way or differently or have more info?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Going out on a limb here, but what I think I read was the search committees' list of finalists would be forwarded to Cobb. The number of finalists would be left to the committee. Only those names would be released and the timing of the release was uncertain. Anyone remember it that way or differently or have more info?
        Thats's how I read it, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I hope so!
          you need to go over to the Mark Osiecki Out at Ohio State thread no love there..... Shades of the Gym Rat from Madison that gut shot us before.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            you need to go over to the Mark Osiecki Out at Ohio State thread no love there..... Shades of the Gym Rat from Madison that gut shot us before.
            Based on the information available to all of us at this time, Corbs is your guy and it seems pretty black and white. Hill obviously is the resume guy, but you've been down that road before and it's pretty apparent that's not the solution. Blair is a victim (fairly or unfairly) of the fact that he's been "part of the problem" in the last regime, and Sorensen is attractive to some but the biggest argument for him is "at least he cares about UAA & Alaska." Though important, that doesn't do enough to bridge the gap to becoming a qualified D1 Head Coaching candidate.

The "weaknesses" of Corbett are 1) no head coaching experience & 2) no network in Canada and 3) his resume says AFA, not NoDak. I don't think - given the current state of UAA going two decades without a winning season - that him having no D1 HC experience is a bad thing. Any candidate with D1 HC experience that would come to Alaska for ~ 125-150k is obviously either desperate for a job (because nobody else wants him) or on the wrong side of the mountain. As far as the lack of a network in Canada, that can be bridged with an assistant who does have a network there (current D1 assistant or BCHL/AJHL HC) or by simply recruiting what he knows (NAHL/USHL/US Midget, etc.) until he and his staff become acclimated in Western Canada. Finally, coming from AFA will help. Coaches from the big schools are accustomed to the facilities being a certain standard & sometimes ge distracted trying to change the facilities & forget to build a hockey team. Though AFA had great facilities in AHA, they aren't anything world class.

The stengths of Corbett far outweigh the weaknesses. First off, he is an absolute workhorse. He has a personality that will endear him to both administration/alumni/locals as well as current players and prospective recruits. He combines extreme professionalism with a little bit of "cool swagger" for lack of a better term. His success at AFA speaks volumes. He has experience winning numerous league regular season and playoff championships and has helped guide his teams to the NCAA tournament on a handful of occasions & they have been very competive when they got there.

UAA is similar to AFA from the standpoint it has recruiting challenges. Corbett knows how to set a plan and then navigate around those challenges. For UAA to be successful, the next coach has to be able to find diamonds in the rough in not-so-**** recruiting spots (Sask, Manitoba, California, etc.). The NA, perhaps the league he knows best, and Alberta, need to be a breeding ground for UAA and they also need a presence in the USHL and the BCHL, though to a lesser extent. Lets be honest, UAA isn't pulling the blue chippers out of those leagues...

Like I said before, Corbett knows how to win. UAA doesn't. How youthful spirit and insatiable appetite for winning will permeate throughout the entire program. If anyone has what it takes to turn UAA around, it's Mike Corbett. He's paid his dues (more than most) & is chomping at the bit for an opportunity. From my perspective, he's your man...

Comment

I think everyone knows that I want to see a local guy in the job. But if it isn't to be Sorenson (or some other local person) then I sure hope there are candidates that we don't know about yet who are better than what we do know. No offense to Corbett but there's no reason to think he would be anything other than the same head coach that Dean Talafous and Dave Shyiak were. And that isn't meant to demean anyone. It just means to indicate that Corbett would be more of the same. Could he turn out to have more success than Talafous or Shyiak? Sure he might.

It's time for some boldness from Steve Cobb and/or "search committees" and/or "Administration" ... whoever is really hiring the next coach needs to do something different. Change to the same thing isn't change at all. Look at Obummer for the example ... he's the status quo i.e... no different than Dubya. Cobb has been in the job for a long time ... as far as I can tell he's never put his butt on the line in any manner. It's time for him to take a risk. Do something truly different. Hire the guy who has the least experience at the D1 level but the MOST experience as a head hockey coach. Hire the guy who will bring deep passion for the local hockey community.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                I think everyone knows that I want to see a local guy in the job. But if it isn't to be Sorenson (or some other local person) then I sure hope there are candidates that we don't know about yet who are better than what we do know. No offense to Corbett but there's no reason to think he would be anything other than the same head coach that Dean Talafous and Dave Shyiak were. And that isn't meant to demean anyone. It just means to indicate that Corbett would be more of the same. Could he turn out to have more success than Talafous or Shyiak? Sure he might.

It's time for some boldness from Steve Cobb and/or "search committees" and/or "Administration" ... whoever is really hiring the next coach needs to do something different. Change to the same thing isn't change at all. Look at Obummer for the example ... he's the status quo i.e... no different than Dubya. Cobb has been in the job for a long time ... as far as I can tell he's never put his butt on the line in any manner. It's time for him to take a risk. Do something truly different. Hire the guy who has the least experience at the D1 level but the MOST experience as a head hockey coach. Hire the guy who will bring deep passion for the local hockey community.
                Uaafanblog - I appreciate your comments throughout the thread - I think you make a lot of good points in all your posts.

Ultimately, what I think you're saying is that you want the AD to think way outside the box and do something unconventional. What I surmise from your posts is that you're tired of UAA following the same path as everyone else (and not succeeding) & you realize that they have some unique challenges that won't be overcome by maintaining status quo.

I applaud you for that forward thinking as it certainly is a refreshing way to think of things. That said, AD's don't seem to be as forward thinking as you in 2013!

Is my assessment of your stance fair or did I miss the boat completely?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                  Uaafanblog - I appreciate your comments throughout the thread - I think you make a lot of good points in all your posts.

Ultimately, what I think you're saying is that you want the AD to think way outside the box and do something unconventional. What I surmise from your posts is that you're tired of UAA following the same path as everyone else (and not succeeding) & you realize that they have some unique challenges that won't be overcome by maintaining status quo.

I applaud you for that forward thinking as it certainly is a refreshing way to think of things. That said, AD's don't seem to be as forward thinking as you in 2013!

Is my assessment of your stance fair or did I miss the boat completely?
                  Pretty much spot on. In most all things my preference is to go against the grain of convention.

Comment

Sorenson doesn't have the credentials. Would have to spend years acquiring them.
                    Hill is a proven loser here and nothing has changed to make it any different from the last time he was a loser here.
                    Blair carries the Shyiak stigma. Easier to erase that stigma at a different institution. Kinda hard to do here.
                    Corbett doesn't have a Canadien base to recruit from. Hiring an assistant that does solves that problem. And he has strong recruiting credentials in the U.S.
                    There may be other applicants this thread hasn't identified.
                    Unless one of the "unidentified" has stronger credentials Corbett would seem to be the strongest candidate.

Comment

I want to preface this by saying I'm not at all connected to anything that goes on with UAA hockey with exception of the stories in ADN.

I see that people here are anti-Hill, and there are plenty of detractors, but wasn't part of the reason he left was the fact that he saw the writing on the wall the Administration wasn't going to give them the proper support the hockey team needed? In a sense, he was right wasn't he? Evidenced by the failure to secure new facilities. And he does have those 4 playoff wins, which look like a Stanley Cup right now.

Now why he wants to come back is the question. Especially when nothing has changed. I think its like someone else said, he's out of the coaching business and has that itch, and here's his way back in.

Of the names I've read, Corbett definitely seems like the most logical choice. My only concern with him is that with no roots in Alaska to speak of, if he has any inkling of success, and another school comes calling, how loyal would he be to UAA? Sorenson no doubtly knows hockey as well as any of the applicants, but also like someone said, probably too radical for this administration.

I do want them to try something bold though. Whats the worst that could happen?

Comment

After reading the Denver announcemnet of Montgomery or whatever his name is, I can't help but think the 4 "outed" applicants aren't the only folks applying for the UAA job. Makes me feel like we're kinda spinning our wheels on the 4 "outed" applicants. At least I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          Cobb has been in the job for a long time ... as far as I can tell he's never put his butt on the line in any manner. It's time for him to take a risk. Do something truly different.
                          Some might say Cobb put his butt on the line when he chose to neglect a D1 hockey program in order to appease his superiors to address the Title IX complaints against UAA. Cobb wasn't the first ADD to have to address Title IX complaints...just one of the few that have thrown their flagship athletic program under the bus in order to appease his/her superiors.

Cobb has done something different...he's accepted and tolerated a substandard facility (practice/games) without any attempt to make things better. Don't you think the man could coordinate new plexiglass in the Sullivan is he had any dialogue with the Municipality of Anchorage or the Aces. He talks about the muni as if they are some foreign entity.

Corbett is the best bet...Sorenson is intriguing though.

--Dre

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
                            Some might say Cobb put his butt on the line when he chose to neglect a D1 hockey program in order to appease his superiors to address the Title IX complaints against UAA. Cobb wasn't the first ADD to have to address Title IX complaints...just one of the few that have thrown their flagship athletic program under the bus in order to appease his/her superiors.

Cobb has done something different...he's accepted and tolerated a substandard facility (practice/games) without any attempt to make things better. Don't you think the man could coordinate new plexiglass in the Sullivan is he had any dialogue with the Municipality of Anchorage or the Aces. He talks about the muni as if they are some foreign entity.

Corbett is the best bet...Sorenson is intriguing though.

--Dre
                            Of the "outed" candidates I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                              Tell that to the Alumni.
                              Not all the alumni want Hill back. Even if they did, I really doubt that Cobb would hire him. I don't think their parting was exactly amicable.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Because I haven't said this in a couple of years: The Sully doesn't need to be renovated. It needs to be imploded. Hell, it needed to be imploded 10 years ago.
                                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                                66 - 86 - 07
                                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Working...
                                X