PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Dave Shyiak is shaking his head today and likely laughing his arse off.

Sadly I somewhat agree with you.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Heenan is a disaster. He was at Union for a whopping four days back in 2005 before he shot his mouth off and Leaman asked him to leave. Thankfully, he was replaced with Rick Bennett, but it's downright scary to think that Union was that close to never going on this recent run of success.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/News/update_0342.htmAnd people wonder why coaches and athletes rarely give more than the stock room quotes. Honesty kills. That was also 8 years ago, it's likely he may have learned a lesson.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 05:02 PM
The division 3 guys? Neither of whom is a winner even at that level?
Whitten's UAA ties? Was he the bottom assistant here for 1 or 2 seasons? Bailed at the 1st opportunity.
Corbett is the obvious choice.Never been a winner at that level? Are you sure? Because Heenan is 165-119-29 .573 at Utica, 53-23-4 over the past 3 seasons. That looks like a winner to me. Bailed at first opportunity, would you have turned down a raise and a job at Michigan State to stay as the #2 in Anchorage? Gee, what a bum.

UAA Seawolves Fan
04-17-2013, 05:04 PM
If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.

Whitten leaving for a better position isn't something that I would use to entirely disqualify him from the running. At least he left under better circumstances than Hill. I think Hill's burned bridges are much further from being mended than Whitten's.

Maine obviously cares about their program a bit more looking solely at their search committee. Professors, former players, hockey boosters. People that know and care about hockey. Big difference right there

Suze
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
He left for more money and a chance to work at his alma mater. Can you blame him? It's interesting how people who want to get rid of one coach will hold it against another for leaving for a better opportunity. Is loyalty a one way street in sports?

If I were doing the hiring I'd look at an applicants job history. I like Damon, he's a great guy, but he doesn't have the most stable work history. He stayed at UAA for a mere two years, moved to Michigan State where he stayed two years, then stayed at Tech for 3 years before applying for the UAA job. There is nothing telling me he would stay at UAA for very long, should he get the job.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Never been a winner at that level? Are you sure? Because Heenan is 165-119-29 .573 at Utica, 53-23-4 over the past 3 seasons. That looks like a winner to me. Bailed at first opportunity, would you have turned down a raise and a job at Michigan State to stay as the #2 in Anchorage? Gee, what a bum.
Not gonna back up on heenan is a loser. Read Dutchfan post and then tell me what a quality person this guy is.
However I do appreciate your sarcasim on Damon. Points well taken.

bcuafmsu2
04-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.

uaafanblog
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37082618.jpg

Jimjamesak
04-17-2013, 05:46 PM
It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.
Bolted? No he left for a better job. JFC Suze, is everybody who left just an a-hole who bolted? It's ridiculous to think that everybody who comes here must stay for 20 plus years.

Jimjamesak
04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Whitten leaving for a better position isn't something that I would use to entirely disqualify him from the running. At least he left under better circumstances than Hill. I think Hill's burned bridges are much further from being mended than Whitten's.

Maine obviously cares about their program a bit more looking solely at their search committee. Professors, former players, hockey boosters. People that know and care about hockey. Big difference right there
UAA had a committee like that one time, you know who it got us?

Dean Talafous.

hockeyjunkie10
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Bolted? No he left for a better job. JFC Suze, is everybody who left just an a-hole who bolted? It's ridiculous to think that everybody who comes here must stay for 20 plus years.

Agreed. I'd bet the #2 assistant at UAA makes ~50k. In this industry, any chance to add to your resume & increase your salary you better take it. That said, he's currently the #2 assistant at Tech so I'm not sure how much his salary has increased now compared to what it was a UAA.

At the end of the day, none of these candidates are looking to come to UAA for the long haul. If they can come in there and have A WINNING season, it will open up big doors. If they come in and have the same track record of their predecessors, then you're right back in this situation in 5-8 years & they leave with some meaningful HC experience...

davyd83
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
If I were doing the hiring I'd look at an applicants job history. I like Damon, he's a great guy, but he doesn't have the most stable work history. He stayed at UAA for a mere two years, moved to Michigan State where he stayed two years, then stayed at Tech for 3 years before applying for the UAA job. There is nothing telling me he would stay at UAA for very long, should he get the job.A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.

hockeyjunkie10
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.

The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.

Flashy Man
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Agreed. I'd bet the #2 assistant at UAA makes ~50k. In this industry, any chance to add to your resume & increase your salary you better take it. That said, he's currently the #2 assistant at Tech so I'm not sure how much his salary has increased now compared to what it was a UAA.

At the end of the day, none of these candidates are looking to come to UAA for the long haul. If they can come in there and have A WINNING season, it will open up big doors. If they come in and have the same track record of their predecessors, then you're right back in this situation in 5-8 years & they leave with some meaningful HC experience...

Whitten earns about $67k.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
No, not everybody who comes to Alaska stays 20 years. Not even those who attend UAA. Lots of folks come for the experience or the quick buck and then they're gone. They're not all bad folks but then again some that stay 20 or longer are not all great people either.
For Suze to use the term "bolted" doesn't make her a bad person either. If you're a wordsmith like your used to be close friend DD you can probably come up with several terms. For me Suze's term bolted causes no heartburn.

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.

This says it right there. Until Cobb and Spindle put more of a commitment on the hockey program, no matter who the coach is, they are doomed to fail.

A Shot and a Goal
04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Good luck to Mike Corbett in his efforts to get the Anchorage head coaching job. I remember him well from his playing days here in Denver. He has been a long-serving and capable assistant coach on Frank Serratore's staff at Air Force. I think he's ready for the challenge of being a head coach. I hope the Seawolves hire him.

Suze
04-17-2013, 06:20 PM

After TWO years JJ. And then stayed at Michigan for TWO years. Now only at Tech for 3 before looking to leave. Sorry, but that is not my idea of stability.

Did I say that everyone who comes here must stay for 20 plus years? Good grief.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Good luck to Mike Corbett in his efforts to get the Anchorage head coaching job. I remember him well from his playing days here in Denver. He has been a long-serving and capable assistant coach on Frank Serratore's staff at Air Force. I think he's ready for the challenge of being a head coach. I hope the Seawolves hire him.
At this point I agree. Corbett's the strongest of the 4. If he has success and leaves the program in better shape than when he arrived then good on him.

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 06:23 PM
After TWO years JJ. And then stayed at Michigan for TWO years. Now only at Tech for 3 before looking to leave. Sorry, but that is not my idea of stability.

Did I say that everyone who comes here must stay for 20 plus years? Good grief.

If you were on a Job for 2 years making only 50K, then someone offers you a job making 65K would you take it? I know i would.