This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Corbet, Hill, Blair all defense guys. Don't know about Sorenson.
    Blair had the number one defense in the country at Maine. Didn't seem to translate into a great defense here.
    Hill had the rodents and that defense didn't follow him here.
    Corbet has a pretty fair defense with the flyboys. Would he be able to do it here?
    Not having the greatest offensive recruits available to us, I guess we better have a great defensive effort.
    Whoever it is, will he continue the goaltender merry go round?
    Will he give Matyas a start?
    Lots of questions. Just name a coach and end the suspense already.
    Then the "you didn't take enough time" chatter begins. Take your time and the "program suffered by delay" chatter begins.
    If I had the answers I'd be the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
      Corbet, Hill, Blair all defense guys. Don't know about Sorenson.
      Blair had the number one defense in the country at Maine. Didn't seem to translate into a great defense here.
      Hill had the rodents and that defense didn't follow him here.
      Corbet has a pretty fair defense with the flyboys. Would he be able to do it here?
      Not having the greatest offensive recruits available to us, I guess we better have a great defensive effort.
      Whoever it is, will he continue the goaltender merry go round?
      Will he give Matyas a start?
      Lots of questions. Just name a coach and end the suspense already.
      Then the "you didn't take enough time" chatter begins. Take your time and the "program suffered by delay" chatter begins.
      If I had the answers I'd be the coach.
      If my memory serves me right, the UAA defense greatly improved the first two years under Blair - that was the main reason they swept the Gophers in the playoffs. Then it really fell off the charts, and I don't know what to attribute that to, other than maybe the recruited players didn't fit into or understand the system.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
        If my memory serves me right, the UAA defense greatly improved the first two years under Blair - that was the main reason they swept the Gophers in the playoffs. Then it really fell off the charts, and I don't know what to attribute that to, other than maybe the recruited players didn't fit into or understand the system.
        I wonder if Mark Osiecki has his résumé on the way to Cobb?
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          I don't know if he wants to come here and deal with the same bs as he did @ OSU.

Anyway, if I had the final say in the matter I would go with Corbett, but in all reality, i think Hill gets it again, espcially if the Alumni put lots of pressure on Cobb & the search committee.
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            No. He has experience putting together national championship comp teams.

Lots of kids go to Shattuck from lots of places. Minnesota kids when offered a chance to play there go there instead of playing for their elite high school programs. And yes, he didn't want to play for your buddy Shyiak.

Read what I wrote about recruiting before you post your strawman crap.

You identify them the same way other people do. I can identify prospects from right here at my desktop. College coaches have a range of resources that start at their desktops as well. Dennis would start there. It isn't like he'd be doing the job alone. The point of advocating for him (or any other local guy) is that they can begin to fix the problem of getting the best local talent. What part of me saying that a half a dozen times is so effing difficult for you that you have to come back again and again and again and question what I mean?

Junior Coaches work to get their players noticed. It's part of what they get paid to do. Junior leagues have development sides that direct players with how to get recruited. They put on camps and showcases for coaches to attend to see players.

And any of the other known applicants has some huge measure of experience above Dennis in this regard? Corbett can only recruit kids that can qualify to get into AFA. Do you think John Hill had to "recruit" kids to Minnesota? Sure, he had to do that at UAA and did he talk a bunch of studs into coming to UAA? Actually, Keith Morris (Hill's assistant) brought in more talented players than Hill did. And Campbell Blair? Well, we can see what he's recruited during your buddy Shyiak's career at UAA. There's no reason to think that Dennis (or some other local guy if there happens to be one) can't perform the recruiting tasks necessary.

It's called fear and it's the friend of the status quo. I don't think for a moment that hiring a "high school coach (as you label him) isn't a bold choice. It would be a bold choice. Doing something different that the manner in which everyone else does it takes some guts. Well here's the skinny deary; we've done it the way everyone else does it for the last 25 years and it hasn't paid off. Doing something different might be bold or a bit of a risk; but so what? Take the risk. You've got a program in need of some energy and change. Change something for real. Don't just change to something that is the same.

Anchorage isn't Minnesota. An "elite level" player comes out of Anchorage at a rate of about 1.5 every 2 years. These are the kids that UAA has to win recruiting battles with other teams. I'm happy to have the Alaskan kids that have chosen UAA but over time few of those have been "elite level" players. Eric Walsky was the last one UAA landed.

That's nonsense. Rappuzi chose a WCHA school and would have had just as much scouting exposure at UAA. And sure, Notre Dame on a diploma is way more impressive than UAA just as Harvard or Yale or any number of schools. Sometimes kids aren't going to go to UAA for exactly those reasons. I never indicated that wouldn't happen. I have a long history of writing about recruiting at UAA on my blog and answering these questions for years and years. Here's the rest of the deal ... If you're good enough you'll be found. The cream rises to the top. Curtis Glencross is a great example. Nathan Lawson has done well. Jay Beagle also. A kid might play for a national championship team and find himself with an opportunity that he wouldn't get playing at a last place team but that doesn't mean he'll succeed. It's just an opportunity. If you can play the game you'll get noticed no matter where you play. Getting noticed playing for your hometown team and helping them succeed is a compelling scenario and always a great story no matter where it is.

And there is zero evidence that anyone on the list can recruit. It's a clear toss up between any of the four candidates. None of the other three have ANYTHING on Dennis in this regard other than having done it in the name of a college. Is that a difference maker? I don't know. I'm saying it shouldn't be. Plain and simple. You can disagree and hem and haw all you like. Do you really think anything you have to say is going to change my view on the matter? I've been writing about this issue on the internet extensively for the last 7 years.
            So what might they have to fear?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Sure hope you're wrong on rehiring Hill. He had his chance and the results weren't good. Don't know if he's still married to the same woman as he was when he was here before. If he is he's in for a terrible home life. How does that help? When he up and quit he had been saying for quite some time that you can't recruit to here. What's changed for him other than he's out of a high paying job? I'll never forget the coaches lunch where he derisively told a room full of supporters that Crosby wouldn't be enrolling at UAA. Nobody thought Crosby was coming. It was the way Hill said it that was demeaning to UAA supporters. Arrogant decribes Hill. Raise his nose and talk down to whoever he's addressing. The folks that wanted change are now going to embrace Hill as change? That's a retread we don't need nor want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                Sure hope you're wrong on rehiring Hill. He had his chance and the results weren't good. Don't know if he's still married to the same woman as he was when he was here before. If he is he's in for a terrible home life. How does that help? When he up and quit he had been saying for quite some time that you can't recruit to here. What's changed for him other than he's out of a high paying job? I'll never forget the coaches lunch where he derisively told a room full of supporters that Crosby wouldn't be enrolling at UAA. Nobody thought Crosby was coming. It was the way Hill said it that was demeaning to UAA supporters. Arrogant decribes Hill. Raise his nose and talk down to whoever he's addressing. The folks that wanted change are now going to embrace Hill as change? That's a retread we don't need nor want.
                It would make absolutely ZERO sense to fire Shyiak and rehire a guy who had a worse record.

Comment

It would make absolutely ZERO sense to fire Shyiak and rehire a guy who had a worse record.
                  Tell that to the Alumni.
                  Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

If the Alumni are reading here, he just told em.
                    Haven't heard anyone on here make a case for rehiring the guy who not only couldn't win but quit on the team, the University and the fans.
                    Oh I forgot to mention it but he quit on the Alumni.

Comment

John Hill is a traitor, plain and simple.

When I read that article in the ADN yesterday night, I nearly vomited with rage. Why on earth would folks at UAA even consider him for the job after he walked out the first time? What the hell has changed in eight friggin' years?
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        John Hill is a traitor, plain and simple.

When I read that article in the ADN yesterday night, I nearly vomited with rage. Why on earth would folks at UAA even consider him for the job after he walked out the first time? What the hell has changed in eight friggin' years?
                        UAA is desperate for fans, and I think they realize that MANY fans can't stand Hill for what he did the last time he was the UAA coach. I agree, he is arrogant and he simply doesn't deserve another shot. Do you seriously think he'd even be entertaining the idea of coming back to Alaska if he wasn't out of a coaching job? I don't. His ditching UAA meant the loss of solid freshmen, and it put UAA back a few years ... (and they hadn't yet recovered from the disaster that was Talafous).

If anyone here really think the alumni want Hill back I'd suggest sending them an email. I'm writing to Chriss Homan, VP of the UAA Hockey Alumni Association.
                        Last edited by Suze; 04-16-2013, 12:39 AM.
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I agree Suze. BTW- Good thing Scotty Gomez isn't home yet. He'd be over @ UAA trying to talk Cobb into bringing Hill back without considering anyone else.

Wondering if you think Keith Morris will apply? I haven't read all the messages on this thread yet, so apologies if his name was already discussed. Guess we'll know on Friday..

- - - - -
                          me & my &^@# typos!
                          Last edited by AlaskaRox; 04-16-2013, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I hope so!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                              I agree Suze. BTW- Good think Scotty Gomez isn't home yet. He'd be over @ UAA trying to talk Cobb into bringing Hill back without considering anyone else.

Wondering if you think Keith Morris will apply? I haven't read all the messages on this thread yet, so apologies if his name was already discussed. Guess we'll know on Friday..
                              Is Friday the day they are expected to make an announcement? I have no idea if Morris has applied. I know he has major heartburn with Cobb and the way things are done. He's pretty negative about the program - or at least he used to be ... I haven't spoken to him for a couple years.

Gomez is seriously interested in UAA hockey? That's a real surprise to me.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Suze ~ Doyle said that they're releasing the names of the applicants this Friday.

And yeah... Scotty has been weighing in on the vacancy and his desire to see Hill back..

Comment

Working...
                                X