This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

cross cheque is North Dakota's answer to uaafanblog, you should know that by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      cross cheque is North Dakota's answer to uaafanblog, you should know that by now.
      I thought that was dirty?
      Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
        I thought that was dirty?
        Dirty is a mere poser; almost completely an act. Dirty usually intends to be funny, whereas uaafanblog actually believes everything he says, and cross cheque is about halfway between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Dirty is a mere poser; almost completely an act. Dirty usually intends to be funny, whereas uaafanblog actually believes everything he says, and cross cheque is about halfway between the two.
          so I guess you would call them ball sack and taint
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            This is an important question. And with the candidates that have been announced I think this goes to Dennis. He is a four year alumni who stayed in Anchorage after school and made his life here. None of the other candidates have as much history in the community and if any of the others had the success to get noticed they'd likely be interested in any offers to come their way. I highly doubt that Dennis would. If the UAA Head Coaching job is his dream job (and I'd assume it is at his age) then you've got a guy that could stay there for 20 years and not be demanding about salary and such things.

That said, the more important words in the question are "if" and "success". All these guys come with that question mark. Can they succeed. What does it take to succeed? I know passion and commitment are two parts of that equation (amongst others of course). Dennis' local roots give him a leg up on those attributes. He has demonstrated both of those clearly with regard to local hockey.

There can be no doubt that there are differences between coaching youth and high school etc and coaching D1 hockey. Those differences though are in a sense a lot of window dressing. The core attributes for success are identical. Knowing the game, identifying talent, getting the most out of the talent and utilizing the most effective systems and tactics to win games. Dennis certainly has all those with some 25 years of coaching and putting together comp teams and of course winning state championships at Dimond when South by all measures should win them just about every year.

Suze mentions that Anchorage high school hockey isn't equivalent to Minnesota high school hockey. That's true. High School hockey isn't the highest level of youth hockey in either place. A typical AA or AAA Bantam Comp team could probably beat a high school team in either place any Midget comp teams certainly would. Dennis has experience identifying local talent, getting them to play for his program and putting a successful product on the ice. These core attributes directly relate to what he'll be doing at UAA. It's not magic to spot a quality player, the trick is getting them to come play for you. If the Seawolves program wants to attract local players then either Sorenson or Hill are the best choices. And this idea of landing the best local players has been a widely recognized key piece of the puzzle for success at UAA especially over the last 20 years. There is a mechanism to move forward in gaining local players ... hire a guy with deep ties to the local hockey community. Hill will attract some and can make that happen but Dennis has more cachet in that department in my view.

Not having a background in an industry at a specific level when you have lotsa background at other levels can mean a fresh perspective. Dennis doesn't likely come with a network of recruiting contacts in juniors outside of Anchorage. But the program does and there can be little doubt that Dennis has relationships with hockey people all over. Again, it doesn't take a genius to go outside and spot a good player and then get an opportunity to give him your pitch. Any of the candidates are able to do the first part and all of them have the same question mark with regard to the 2nd. Dennis has a leg up on the local guys.

Does hiring Dennis come with some risk? Hiring any of these candidates comes with risk.

edit: And let's not forget that Dennis was the founding force behind the Aces original birth.
            You mean he has experience at identifying talent that is enrolled at his school. A place that he couldn't even get his own kid to play since he went off to play high school hockey in Minnesota. He hasn't had to recruit. And recruiting is critical. I can name 57 D-I hockey coaches who will tell you that their network is the life blood of their program, and that their network goes far beyond their coaching staff. So is administering a D-1 college hockey budget. Sure you can get in there and make a pitch, but how do you identify that talent in Manitoba, BC or Michigan? Who are the people finding those diamonds in the rough that we all need to find? Who is giving you the call that says, "You should see this kid at Fort MacMurray?" Or, "There's an uncommitted one at Nanaimo that you would like?" It's far more than an assistant or head coach seeing a kid play a couple games at a showcase and making an offer. And if you make that pitch, and the kid asks his coach for advice and the best the coach can say is well I've known Coach X from this school and here is how he runs a program, now Coach Sorenson, I don't know much about. He was a high school coach. If hiring high school coaches at the D-1 level is a good idea, why doesn't it happen very often? As far as retaining Alaska bred talent, 10 Alaskans played this season with teams that will be in the new WCHA next year. SIX stayed in Anchorage, 4 were Faribanks area kids, 2 of whom stayed in Fairbanks, one who went to UAA and one who went to MTU. Looks like UAA did pretty well with Anchorage area kids there. Five of those 6 stayed in Anchorage. Only one played in the future Big 10 at Michigan State. Two played at Notre Dame, a backup goalie at Denver from the new NCHC, a kid with 2 points at Omaha, and one at Colorado College. Now the only of those players that UAA would have had a chance to sign were the kid at Omaha and the backup goalie from Denver. Your chances of winning recruiting battles against Michigan State and Notre Dame are slim at best. And that's just a fact of life. A kid from Upper Michigan or Mankato or Northern Ohio is far more likely to pick NMU, Tech, Minn State or Bowling Green over Notre Dame or Michigan State.

Only three of the Anchorage area kids who left Alaska have proven to be difference makers. Summerhays and Rapuzzi both played Junior at Green Bay, a team heavily recruited by Notre Dame. There was a Notre Dame rep at the Green Bay game I was at last night and reps from at least 5 other schools as well. Tanner Sorenson is a good one and will be very very good by the time he finishes at Michigan State. There is very little that either Shyiak or Ferguson could have done to keep him in Alaska. He is playing at a place where scouts will see him every game. He couldn't get that in Alaska.

The bottom line: to win at this level, you have to be able to recruit, and not just from your nearby area. All of the schools in the new WCHA will win very few battles with the Michigans and North Dakotas of the world. You can keep a few from the Western Michigans and the St Clouds and you have to outdo the other members in your league if you are going to succeed. How do you attract the talent to win. Effective recruiting. There is no substitute. If you want to build a program up and build it quickly, you have to hire the best recruiter you can find.
            Last edited by davyd83; 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
              Remember Guy Gadowsky at UAF>>> Wasn't even the first choice...played collegiately at Colorado College, player/coach with WCHL Fresno Falcons...
              actually got offered the UAF job after St Norbert(WI) coach accepted then rejected the job....Gadz didn't come to Fairbanks until August because of a committment to coach roller hockey in California...The CCHA higher ups, Ron Mason at Michigan State at the time, though the Nanooks were CRAZY to hire the guy wiith no NCAA coaching experience..Turned out to be the best hire ever as the hockey program got to the CCHA championships in Detroit.
              And the Nanooks have been pretty good since...He has since moved onto Princeton and now given the keys to the multi million dollar project at Penn State...IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!
              Guy's landlord in _airbanks was not happy with his "midnight move" to the States. and Doc DelCastillo who got "banishment" from the village........ how we forget
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

**** You. Find a post made by me that resembles that nonsense.

Comment

Again. **** You. In the ear.

Comment

Again. **** You. In the ear.
                    I expected as much. Taking this board too seriously and personally again, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      You mean he has experience at identifying talent that is enrolled at his school.
                      No. He has experience putting together national championship comp teams.

A place that he couldn't even get his own kid to play since he went off to play high school hockey in Minnesota.
                      Lots of kids go to Shattuck from lots of places. Minnesota kids when offered a chance to play there go there instead of playing for their elite high school programs. And yes, he didn't want to play for your buddy Shyiak.

He hasn't had to recruit. And recruiting is critical. I can name 57 D-I hockey coaches who will tell you that their network is the life blood of their program, and that their network goes far beyond their coaching staff. So is administering a D-1 college hockey budget.
                      Read what I wrote about recruiting before you post your strawman crap.

Sure you can get in there and make a pitch, but how do you identify that talent in Manitoba, BC or Michigan?
                      You identify them the same way other people do. I can identify prospects from right here at my desktop. College coaches have a range of resources that start at their desktops as well. Dennis would start there. It isn't like he'd be doing the job alone. The point of advocating for him (or any other local guy) is that they can begin to fix the problem of getting the best local talent. What part of me saying that a half a dozen times is so effing difficult for you that you have to come back again and again and again and question what I mean?

Who are the people finding those diamonds in the rough that we all need to find? Who is giving you the call that says, "You should see this kid at Fort MacMurray?" Or, "There's an uncommitted one at Nanaimo that you would like?"
                      Junior Coaches work to get their players noticed. It's part of what they get paid to do. Junior leagues have development sides that direct players with how to get recruited. They put on camps and showcases for coaches to attend to see players.

It's far more than an assistant or head coach seeing a kid play a couple games at a showcase and making an offer. And if you make that pitch, and the kid asks his coach for advice and the best the coach can say is well I've known Coach X from this school and here is how he runs a program, now Coach Sorenson, I don't know much about. He was a high school coach.
                      And any of the other known applicants has some huge measure of experience above Dennis in this regard? Corbett can only recruit kids that can qualify to get into AFA. Do you think John Hill had to "recruit" kids to Minnesota? Sure, he had to do that at UAA and did he talk a bunch of studs into coming to UAA? Actually, Keith Morris (Hill's assistant) brought in more talented players than Hill did. And Campbell Blair? Well, we can see what he's recruited during your buddy Shyiak's career at UAA. There's no reason to think that Dennis (or some other local guy if there happens to be one) can't perform the recruiting tasks necessary.

If hiring high school coaches at the D-1 level is a good idea, why doesn't it happen very often?
                      It's called fear and it's the friend of the status quo. I don't think for a moment that hiring a "high school coach (as you label him) isn't a bold choice. It would be a bold choice. Doing something different that the manner in which everyone else does it takes some guts. Well here's the skinny deary; we've done it the way everyone else does it for the last 25 years and it hasn't paid off. Doing something different might be bold or a bit of a risk; but so what? Take the risk. You've got a program in need of some energy and change. Change something for real. Don't just change to something that is the same.

As far as retaining Alaska bred talent, 10 Alaskans played this season with teams that will be in the new WCHA next year. SIX stayed in Anchorage, 4 were Faribanks area kids, 2 of whom stayed in Fairbanks, one who went to UAA and one who went to MTU. Looks like UAA did pretty well with Anchorage area kids there. Five of those 6 stayed in Anchorage. Only one played in the future Big 10 at Michigan State. Two played at Notre Dame, a backup goalie at Denver from the new NCHC, a kid with 2 points at Omaha, and one at Colorado College. Now the only of those players that UAA would have had a chance to sign were the kid at Omaha and the backup goalie from Denver. Your chances of winning recruiting battles against Michigan State and Notre Dame are slim at best. And that's just a fact of life. A kid from Upper Michigan or Mankato or Northern Ohio is far more likely to pick NMU, Tech, Minn State or Bowling Green over Notre Dame or Michigan State.
                      Anchorage isn't Minnesota. An "elite level" player comes out of Anchorage at a rate of about 1.5 every 2 years. These are the kids that UAA has to win recruiting battles with other teams. I'm happy to have the Alaskan kids that have chosen UAA but over time few of those have been "elite level" players. Eric Walsky was the last one UAA landed.

Only three of the Anchorage area kids who left Alaska have proven to be difference makers. Summerhays and Rapuzzi both played Junior at Green Bay, a team heavily recruited by Notre Dame. There was a Notre Dame rep at the Green Bay game I was at last night and reps from at least 5 other schools as well. Tanner Sorenson is a good one and will be very very good by the time he finishes at Michigan State. There is very little that either Shyiak or Ferguson could have done to keep him in Alaska. He is playing at a place where scouts will see him every game. He couldn't get that in Alaska.
                      That's nonsense. Rappuzi chose a WCHA school and would have had just as much scouting exposure at UAA. And sure, Notre Dame on a diploma is way more impressive than UAA just as Harvard or Yale or any number of schools. Sometimes kids aren't going to go to UAA for exactly those reasons. I never indicated that wouldn't happen. I have a long history of writing about recruiting at UAA on my blog and answering these questions for years and years. Here's the rest of the deal ... If you're good enough you'll be found. The cream rises to the top. Curtis Glencross is a great example. Nathan Lawson has done well. Jay Beagle also. A kid might play for a national championship team and find himself with an opportunity that he wouldn't get playing at a last place team but that doesn't mean he'll succeed. It's just an opportunity. If you can play the game you'll get noticed no matter where you play. Getting noticed playing for your hometown team and helping them succeed is a compelling scenario and always a great story no matter where it is.

The bottom line: to win at this level, you have to be able to recruit, and not just from your nearby area. All of the schools in the new WCHA will win very few battles with the Michigans and North Dakotas of the world. You can keep a few from the Western Michigans and the St Clouds and you have to outdo the other members in your league if you are going to succeed. How do you attract the talent to win. Effective recruiting. There is no substitute. If you want to build a program up and build it quickly, you have to hire the best recruiter you can find.
                      And there is zero evidence that anyone on the list can recruit. It's a clear toss up between any of the four candidates. None of the other three have ANYTHING on Dennis in this regard other than having done it in the name of a college. Is that a difference maker? I don't know. I'm saying it shouldn't be. Plain and simple. You can disagree and hem and haw all you like. Do you really think anything you have to say is going to change my view on the matter? I've been writing about this issue on the internet extensively for the last 7 years.

Comment

I expected as much. Taking this board too seriously and personally again, as usual.
                        You're the one that posted hyperbolic insulting crap. And yeah, we're trying to have a discussion about issues that are important to fans of UAA's program. Dip-**** coming in here with his nonsense followed by your equally insulting nonsense isn't something I particularly want to deal with. So shut your gob.

Comment

******* width="560" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ro0yZyVR0Qk?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ro0yZyVR0Qk?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">
                          http://board.uscho.com/search.php?searchid=336055
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Corbett looks the best choice to me on paper, but I have been a big fan of Dennis (was hoping he would get the job last time). Of course we only know the names of some of the candidates, but I don't want a former coach.
                            Upper Deck Fan

Comment

I guess if I were a UAA fan I wouldn't care if the next coach came from the high school ranks, junior ranks or college ranks. I'd want to know only one thing about him. Does he have a track record that shows he has taken inferior talent and made them competitive? The ability to do that usually involves a combination of having some "X's and O's" skills, but maybe more importantly the ability to motivate kids, and make them believe.

Having a great recruiter is wonderful. But to be blunt, no one will ever be a great recruiter at UAA. With some success the talent level will increase.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well in order to be successful in the environment we have now, the coach will have to be someone who has a good network and the BCHL is the natural place for it if you ask me. But further he needs to be able to develop players and he needs to have the total support of the administration. Otherwise the hire will fail just like the last one.It's a tall order but it can be done. I doubt however that someone without extensive experience in college hockey can get it done.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X