X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks?...
    Well since the program had its beginnings when ACC was still offering night classes in West High, it’s no wonder. And SFOS is just headquartered in Fairbanks, with other divisions in Seward, Anchorage, Juneau and Kodiak. And that also makes sense because the Fairbanks campus is the statewide university system’s principal research center. There is order in the universe. We will not challenge UAA’s claim to supremacy in “debate.” You guys have always been able to talk a good game.

I will quit trolling this thread...I usually just read it for entertainment value, and only jump in when Alaska Hockey besmirches Fairbanks…I know, a rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
      My memory is shot. Can't remember if Cobb releases the list of coach applicants. Closes Friday 5pm. Anyone remember if he releases the list?
      George Gwozdecky didn't make it. His ego was too hefty to get on the plane and could only be barged up and would take too long to make the interview.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

So according to adn 4 applied for the job

John hill
        Campbell Blair
        Dennis sorrensen
        Mike Corbett
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
          So according to adn 4 applied for the job

John hill
          Campbell Blair
          Dennis sorrensen
          Mike Corbett
          There were rumors that Corbett applied for the DU job?? Hill? Really? Do you honestly think he'd be applying for the job if he hadn't been fired from Minnesota? No way. And remember, his wife really does hate Alaska. And that's not rumor, John's brother told me that.

The ADN said "Johnson said Hill's connection to the Anchorage hockey community can mend fences -- the relationship between UAA and its hockey alumni, for instance, is fractured, according to many former players". Hill didn't help any when he threw UAA under the bus to go back to the Gophers. And he didn't do anything to improve attendance when he WAS here. After his no win season it got so much worse. I can't believe he applied. Personally, I like Blair or Corbett. I wish we had a few more names to choose from though.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Dennis Sorenson would be my choice.

No disrespect to Mike Corbett but he's just not what UAA needs. UD should hire him.

Campbell has worked hard and certainly deserves consideration but honestly even though he's found quality D-men they just have never put up good defensive numbers. And that was his primary duty. And what really can he bring to the table in terms of the disconnect between local talent and the program? I just don't see him as getting the job.

So with that said, I suspect that it's Hill's job to lose. His departure and the "faux-reasons" he gave at the time can perhaps be overcome if he fesses up honestly to Cobb and I think that he'd get the job. He did throw the program under the bus though when he left. Still though, it's his job to lose. He probably just has to mend the fences he created with Cobb in order to be the guy that Justin Johnson says he can be. If it was me hiring though, Hill wouldn't get the job just because he had it, called it his "dream job" and then left for reasons other than he said publicly.

I hope Dennis gets a reasonable chance from the "search committee" and from Cobb. Dennis has lived in the community since finishing his hockey career. He is the most visible hockey person in town ... I couldn't name anyone more passionate about the local hockey scene or anybody that works harder in the hockey community. He knows talent and obviously can coach or Dimond wouldn't have had the success they have against the larger and typically more talented South High squads. Yes, he doesn't have college hockey experience. He should try to turn that into a positive during the interview process by telling them that his lack of experience is an opportunity for a fresh outlook. This is a guy that if you hired could turn into someone that builds the same success he's had at every other level and become the longest and most winning coach ever at UAA.

Good luck Dennis ... I hope you get the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              I hope Dennis gets a reasonable chance from the "search committee" and from Cobb. Dennis has lived in the community since finishing his hockey career. He is the most visible hockey person in town ... I couldn't name anyone more passionate about the local hockey scene or anybody that works harder in the hockey community. He knows talent and obviously can coach or Dimond wouldn't have had the success they have against the larger and typically more talented South High squads. Yes, he doesn't have college hockey experience. He should try to turn that into a positive during the interview process by telling them that his lack of experience is an opportunity for a fresh outlook. This is a guy that if you hired could turn into someone that builds the same success he's had at every other level and become the longest and most winning coach ever at UAA.

Good luck Dennis ... I hope you get the job.
              When Dennis Sorenson meets this...
              five years of progressive experience as an NCAA ice hockey coach; a majority of which must be at the Division I level.
              Then we can talk about him. He's a high school coach, and not a Phil "I coached the team that won the World Juniors" Housley level one. There is no way he should be considered. If he wants to be an Assistant under the next coach then fine. Head Coach? No.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                When Dennis Sorenson meets this...

Then we can talk about him. He's a high school coach, and not a Phil "I coached the team that won the World Juniors" Housley level one. There is no way he should be considered. If he wants to be an Assistant under the next coach then fine. Head Coach? No.
                I agree JJ. And the level of highschool hockey in Alaska can't compare to the level of HS hockey in Minnesota. I think Dennis would make an excellent assistant coach though. I wonder what the qualifications are for that position?

I like what Corbett brings to the table, and he has ties to Alaska as well. Hill? Been there, done that.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Good debate about the candidates who've been identified. Wish we knew who else has applied but haven't been "outed".
                  Re-opening after the high profile jobs have been filled?? Dicey.
                  Questions Questions Questions

Comment

I have a feeling that there are more applicants and those 4 are just those who the ADN has confirmed. Of those four, Corbett would seem to be the best qualified. He's been a part of a successful program. Has worked that time for a very well regarded coach and has the recruiting network and experience. Hill had a .303 winning percentage in his first go round. What would convince anyone that it would be any better this time? And his previous departure leaves questions as well. Sorenson is a high school coach. How long would it take him to build a good recruiting network, to build relationships at the junior levels? Would he be able to attract a top flight, experienced assistant to assist? Blair has coached the defense that finished dead last in the WCHA the past two seasons, more than a half goal per game worse than the next to last club. Hopefully for UAA the poo; is much deeper than this.

Corbett, by the way was not a finalist at Denver. Seth Appert, Derek Lalonde, Jim Montgomery and Greg Brown will all have interviewed by the end of the day today. LaLonde is also expected to be in the mix at Rennsalaer if DU chooses Appert, while Montgomery will interview with Maine as well.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't know Mr. Sorensen. Have only read about him in the ADN.
                      If he teaches at Dimond in addition to coaching, he probably wouldn't want the cut in pay being an assistant would require.
                      Not knowing him, I have no idea if his ego would tolerate being an assistant.
                      If successful how long will any new coach stick around?
                      Anybody who makes this program a winner will have job offers too good to refuse from schools who will pay substantially more.

Comment

Here's a little something Sorenson:
                        http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_05&id=294014

--Dre

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          If successful how long will any new coach stick around?
                          This is an important question. And with the candidates that have been announced I think this goes to Dennis. He is a four year alumni who stayed in Anchorage after school and made his life here. None of the other candidates have as much history in the community and if any of the others had the success to get noticed they'd likely be interested in any offers to come their way. I highly doubt that Dennis would. If the UAA Head Coaching job is his dream job (and I'd assume it is at his age) then you've got a guy that could stay there for 20 years and not be demanding about salary and such things.

That said, the more important words in the question are "if" and "success". All these guys come with that question mark. Can they succeed. What does it take to succeed? I know passion and commitment are two parts of that equation (amongst others of course). Dennis' local roots give him a leg up on those attributes. He has demonstrated both of those clearly with regard to local hockey.

There can be no doubt that there are differences between coaching youth and high school etc and coaching D1 hockey. Those differences though are in a sense a lot of window dressing. The core attributes for success are identical. Knowing the game, identifying talent, getting the most out of the talent and utilizing the most effective systems and tactics to win games. Dennis certainly has all those with some 25 years of coaching and putting together comp teams and of course winning state championships at Dimond when South by all measures should win them just about every year.

Suze mentions that Anchorage high school hockey isn't equivalent to Minnesota high school hockey. That's true. High School hockey isn't the highest level of youth hockey in either place. A typical AA or AAA Bantam Comp team could probably beat a high school team in either place any Midget comp teams certainly would. Dennis has experience identifying local talent, getting them to play for his program and putting a successful product on the ice. These core attributes directly relate to what he'll be doing at UAA. It's not magic to spot a quality player, the trick is getting them to come play for you. If the Seawolves program wants to attract local players then either Sorenson or Hill are the best choices. And this idea of landing the best local players has been a widely recognized key piece of the puzzle for success at UAA especially over the last 20 years. There is a mechanism to move forward in gaining local players ... hire a guy with deep ties to the local hockey community. Hill will attract some and can make that happen but Dennis has more cachet in that department in my view.

Not having a background in an industry at a specific level when you have lotsa background at other levels can mean a fresh perspective. Dennis doesn't likely come with a network of recruiting contacts in juniors outside of Anchorage. But the program does and there can be little doubt that Dennis has relationships with hockey people all over. Again, it doesn't take a genius to go outside and spot a good player and then get an opportunity to give him your pitch. Any of the candidates are able to do the first part and all of them have the same question mark with regard to the 2nd. Dennis has a leg up on the local guys.

Does hiring Dennis come with some risk? Hiring any of these candidates comes with risk.

edit: And let's not forget that Dennis was the founding force behind the Aces original birth.
                          Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-13-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            This is an important question. And with the candidates that have been announced I think this goes to Dennis. He is a four year alumni who stayed in Anchorage after school and made his life here. None of the other candidates have as much history in the community and if any of the others had the success to get noticed they'd likely be interested in any offers to come their way. I highly doubt that Dennis would. If the UAA Head Coaching job is his dream job (and I'd assume it is at his age) then you've got a guy that could stay there for 20 years and not be demanding about salary and such things.

That said, the more important words in the question are "if" and "success". All these guys come with that question mark. Can they succeed. What does it take to succeed? I know passion and commitment are two parts of that equation (amongst others of course). Dennis' local roots give him a leg up on those attributes. He has demonstrated both of those clearly with regard to local hockey.

There can be no doubt that there are differences between coaching youth and high school etc and coaching D1 hockey. Those differences though are in a sense a lot of window dressing. The core attributes for success are identical. Knowing the game, identifying talent, getting the most out of the talent and utilizing the most effective systems and tactics to win games. Dennis certainly has all those with some 25 years of coaching and putting together comp teams and of course winning state championships at Dimond when South by all measures should win them just about every year.

Suze mentions that Anchorage high school hockey isn't equivalent to Minnesota high school hockey. That's true. High School hockey isn't the highest level of youth hockey in either place. A typical AA or AAA Bantam Comp team could probably beat a high school team in either place any Midget comp teams certainly would. Dennis has experience identifying local talent, getting them to play for his program and putting a successful product on the ice. These core attributes directly relate to what he'll be doing at UAA. It's not magic to spot a quality player, the trick is getting them to come play for you. If the Seawolves program wants to attract local players then either Sorenson or Hill are the best choices. And this idea of landing the best local players has been a widely recognized key piece of the puzzle for success at UAA especially over the last 20 years. There is a mechanism to move forward in gaining local players ... hire a guy with deep ties to the local hockey community. Hill will attract some and can make that happen but Dennis has more cachet in that department in my view.

Not having a background in an industry at a specific level when you have lotsa background at other levels can mean a fresh perspective. Dennis doesn't likely come with a network of recruiting contacts in juniors outside of Anchorage. But the program does and there can be little doubt that Dennis has relationships with hockey people all over. Again, it doesn't take a genius to go outside and spot a good player and then get an opportunity to give him your pitch. Any of the candidates are able to do the first part and all of them have the same question mark with regard to the 2nd. Dennis has a leg up on the local guys.

Does hiring Dennis come with some risk? Hiring any of these candidates comes with risk.

edit: And let's not forget that Dennis was the founding force behind the Aces original birth.
                            A few things you said don't exactly endear Dennis to me. First off, if he is SO connected to the local hockey community and the up and coming players, and if he is so passionate about UAA hockey, you would think that he might have had some influence in directing players to UAA. Yet his own son went elsewhere.

The fact that he was the founding force behind the Aces is supposed to work in his favor? Heck, most fans and coaches/former coaches will tell you that the success of the Aces is a major reason for the dismal attendance at UAA. No doubt some of the lack of fans is due to UAA's win-loss record, but they didn't have a winning record when the fans packed the joint every game and had a TV season ticket package with Prime Cable when the waiting list for season tickets was several years long.

The fact is, Dennis does not meet the requirements for the job. If he really wants a shot at being a head coach for a division I team, I think he should start as an assistant and work his way up like everyone else.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              So where exactly on your link are the numbers you quoted?

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                A few things you said don't exactly endear Dennis to me. First off, if he is SO connected to the local hockey community and the up and coming players, and if he is so passionate about UAA hockey, you would think that he might have had some influence in directing players to UAA. Yet his own son went elsewhere.
                                Shyiak is gone partially because he lost the connection to the local hockey community. It was that lost connection that caused players to go elsewhere. Even the son of a UAA coach in another sport went elsewhere (Lauwers) to play D1 hockey. The era of people from outside coming to Alaska and taking jobs from Alaskan's needs to end sometime. And the UAA Head Coaching position is as good as any to set a public example. If there is another local Alaskan applying for the job I'll support them as well; John Hill isn't an Alaskan ... Mike Corbett sure isn't ... Campbell Blair isn't either though he probably at least understands the need to wrangle the Alaskan kids, he hasn't accomplished that though.

"Requirements" or not Sorenson would be a good choice.

The fact that he was the founding force behind the Aces is supposed to work in his favor? Heck, most fans and coaches/former coaches will tell you that the success of the Aces is a major reason for the dismal attendance at UAA. No doubt some of the lack of fans is due to UAA's win-loss record, but they didn't have a winning record when the fans packed the joint every game and had a TV season ticket package with Prime Cable when the waiting list for season tickets was several years long.
                                Being instrumental in bringing the Aces to be is a negative for Dennis? Yeah, Ummm ... that's a non-sequitur. Of course it's a positive accomplishment in a hockey coaches resume. how many eventual ECHL Championship teams did John Hill found? Mike Corbett? Blair? The establishment of the Aces gave former collegiate players in Alaska an additional reason to stay in the community. They all coached and developed players in Anchorage when they might have otherwise chosen to make their life outside Alaska. Leaving Alaska to make your life is an easier choice than staying there. Well, Dennis stayed and he fostered development of hockey at every level in Anchorage. Those are certainly positives. Are they enough to overcome not meeting the "requirements"? I don't know. We'll see, won't we? I'm happy and proud to advocate for the one local guy that we know has applied.

Comment

Working...
                                X