This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

We only live in the tents in the summer because our igloos have melted.
    Notre Dame??? yeah lots of big Rainbows, Kings, Reds and halibuts down there. And the caribou, moose, Dall sheep, mountain goat hunting is the best in Indiana. And the mountains? Why Notre Dame's dome is spectacular when you put it next to the Chugach, Alaska, Brooks and 10 other ranges in Alaska.
    Talk with any of the Seawolves past or present and they love it here.

Comment

My memory is shot. Can't remember if Cobb releases the list of coach applicants. Closes Friday 5pm. Anyone remember if he releases the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        My memory is shot. Can't remember if Cobb releases the list of coach applicants. Closes Friday 5pm. Anyone remember if he releases the list?
        nope
        Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-12-2013, 02:13 AM.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

One thing that is bugging me...someone posted earlier, I think in this thread, the hockey budgets for UAA and UA, and there was a huge difference. How to they justify that? Do they even try? I don't see how UAA can even think of competing when they are put at such a huge disadvantage from the get-go, just compared to the other in-state school. I imagine people have tried to raise holy hell about that already, without much success.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            One thing that is bugging me...someone posted earlier, I think in this thread, the hockey budgets for UAA and UA, and there was a huge difference. How to they justify that? Do they even try? I don't see how UAA can even think of competing when they are put at such a huge disadvantage from the get-go, just compared to the other in-state school. I imagine people have tried to raise holy hell about that already, without much success.
            Alaska Hockey posted that, and I don't know where his data is from. Only thing I can think of is UAA may not include travel in their hockey budget, but that is a shot in the dark.

Considering that UAA historically has grossed more revenue from athletics than UAF thanks to the GAS and WCHA payouts, one would think their hockey budget would be higher.

Or Cobb spent all the extra money on track and gymnastics.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              we got room in the budget for him let's see....... looked up the 2010-2011 budget for UAA hockey $506,054.00
              .................................................. ............also looked up the 2010-2011 budget for UAF hockey $1,279,386.00
              The University of Alaska Regents are a evenhanded and fair cluster who are looking out for all the students of Alaska ....... just look at the numbers
              Where do you get those figures? a link would be nice good sir.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                Where do you get those figures? a link would be nice good sir.
                http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Alaska Hockey posted that, and I don't know where his data is from. Only thing I can think of is UAA may not include travel in their hockey budget, but that is a shot in the dark.

Considering that UAA historically has grossed more revenue from athletics than UAF thanks to the GAS and WCHA payouts, one would think their hockey budget would be higher.

Or Cobb spent all the extra money on track and gymnastics.
                  UAA doesn't budget in “keggers" for the hockey team or bail money for the basketball team.
                  The University Of Alaska Board Of Regents has been brainwashed to think they have to prop up the village of _airbanks with funding for UA_ and keep the UAA Campus unfunded as much as possible. They keep refusing to fund more dorms and student life area’s as much as they can to make the “college experience” as miserable as they can possibly can. They believe if you don’t like it at UAA you should go to the frozen campus in _airbanks.Because they can only hoodwink 5.500 students on main campus up north and don’t like that UAA has 15,000 students attend school at the Anchorage main
                  campus.
                  UA_ has dorms for over 1900 students to live in dorms for 5,500 students. UAA has dorms for 950 students to live on campus for 15,000 students.
                  Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                    UAA doesn't budget in “keggers" for the hockey team or bail money for the basketball team.
                    The University Of Alaska Board Of Regents has been brainwashed to think they have to prop up the village of _airbanks with funding for UA_ and keep the UAA Campus unfunded as much as possible. They keep refusing to fund more dorms and student life area’s as much as they can to make the “college experience” as miserable as they can possibly can. They believe if you don’t like it at UAA you should go to the frozen campus in _airbanks.Because they can only hoodwink 5.500 students on main campus up north and don’t like that UAA has 15,000 students attend school at the Anchorage main
                    campus.
                    UA_ has dorms for over 1900 students to live in dorms for 5,500 students. UAA has dorms for 950 students to live on campus for 15,000 students.
                    if the UAA campus is that bad and the arena and hockey facilities are a negative, why does anyone wonder why they have trouble attracting top recruits?
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly the names of applicants for jobs are protected under some privacy provision (quite rightly btw) but at least once in the past the ADN submitted some sort of FOI to have the school release them. The reasoning was a compelling public interest. Is there a compelling public interest that would cause the ADN to do so again this time around?

Naturally, anyone who applied could go public and say they did so. What amount of work Doyle Woody and the ADN will put into this is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't think he decides to write anything about UAA unless there's no other choice.

Note here that the University has the option to re-open the position if they don't find a suitable candidate. One might consider with the DU opening and the Maine opening coming on the heels of Shyiak's departure that it might be in UAA's interest to take some additional time by re-opening and delaying the hiring if that might bring in some candidate that might not have otherwise made today's deadline? I don't know. I sure would like to see an actual list of names ....

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        There's a saying at UAA: "UAA gets the students, UAF gets the funding."

It has been, for many years, a point of contention. The UA Board of Regents keeps this going, to the point that supposedly a UAA Chancellor was forced out for questioning it.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Step out of the 80’s.
                          The exact opposite is occurring and has been occurring for a couple of decades. Most of the University’s capital money from the state has gone to Anchorage for twenty years. Anchorage has legislative control, has had legislative control, and will continue to have legislative control forever. This dynamic doesn't just impact the University system, but everything in this state. Every place outside of south central is withering on the vine.

UAF’s strength is research and science. It will continue to be turned into a research institution and Anchorage will become the obvious if not the only option for a comprehensive post-secondary education. It already has substantially more students, it's just that it is still mostly a commuter school. It's traditionally weak degree programs have and will continue to improve and Fairbanks, Juneau, and rural campuses will have a tough time competing.

I know you begrudge the funding UAF is begging for to keep their 50 year old coal fired power plant running. It’s kind of ironic. UAF is asking for money to try and stay warm, and UAA fans want money for ice.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            If memory serves me correctly the names of applicants for jobs are protected under some privacy provision (quite rightly btw) but at least once in the past the ADN submitted some sort of FOI to have the school release them. The reasoning was a compelling public interest. Is there a compelling public interest that would cause the ADN to do so again this time around?
                            I'm guessing that "compelling public interest" is interpreted by the court system to apply only in limited circumstances.

Note here that the University has the option to re-open the position if they don't find a suitable candidate. One might consider with the DU opening and the Maine opening coming on the heels of Shyiak's departure that it might be in UAA's interest to take some additional time by re-opening and delaying the hiring if that might bring in some candidate that might not have otherwise made today's deadline? I don't know. I sure would like to see an actual list of names ....
                            That could be a dangerous game if no one else is interested, as it is likely to pi55 off the best candidate from the first round and he'll tell you to * off, leaving you with your second or third-best choice. However, I agree with you that in the face of two high-profile openings, it might be in UAA's best interest to delay the application period.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                              Step out of the 80’s.
                              The exact opposite is occurring and has been occurring for a couple of decades. Most of the University’s capital money from the state has gone to Anchorage for twenty years. Anchorage has legislative control, has had legislative control, and will continue to have legislative control forever. This dynamic doesn't just impact the University system, but everything in this state. Every place outside of south central is withering on the vine.

UAF’s strength is research and science. It will continue to be turned into a research institution and Anchorage will become the obvious if not the only option for a comprehensive post-secondary education. It already has substantially more students, it's just that it is still mostly a commuter school. It's traditionally weak degree programs have and will continue to improve and Fairbanks, Juneau, and rural campuses will have a tough time competing.

I know you begrudge the funding UAF is begging for to keep their 50 year old coal fired power plant running. It’s kind of ironic. UAF is asking for money to try and stay warm, and UAA fans want money for ice.
                              And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks? Sure I can see Arctic Studies etc there and even Geophysical Sciences etc ... but when the place is a minimum of 400 miles from any ocean and UAA is at most 5 miles from the ocean? Puhlease. And shall we cover a couple of the big capital outlays to go to UAF recently? How much did the "Museum" cost again? 100 million plus? And it's big installation ... an audio room that imagines what the northern lights might sound like whose official name is "The Place Where You Go To Listen"?
                              *****http://www.timgrubu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uaf-museum-of-the-north.jpg******
                              Very nice. Such a great resource for the students ... and by that I of course mean an actual destination for tourists in the summer which provides zero benefit to the students at the university other than some internships etc. I'd bet all of several hundred Fairbanks residents have ponied up the 8 buck admission fee ... cos we all know how culturally active a typical Fairbanks resident is.
                              Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• If you are going to argue that the oceanography program shouldn't be at UAF, having it at UAS makes a hell of a lot more sense than UAA. Unless you're a fan of studying mud and quicksand, anyway.

Also, the state had squat to do with the museum expansion. You can thank Bill Gates and the Feds for that one; The Murie Building is the first new state-funded construction at UAF in nearly 20 years, and UAA still tried to torpedo that. Mmf is right: this "Regents favor UAF" argument died a decade or more ago. We are at a point where any major new state-funded construction will have to benefit both schools. UAS is the one that will ultimately get screwed.

And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks? Sure I can see Arctic Studies etc there and even Geophysical Sciences etc ... but when the place is a minimum of 400 miles from any ocean and UAA is at most 5 miles from the ocean? Puhlease. And shall we cover a couple of the big capital outlays to go to UAF recently? How much did the "Museum" cost again? 100 million plus? And it's big installation ... an audio room that imagines what the northern lights might sound like whose official name is "The Place Where You Go To Listen"?
                                *****http://www.timgrubu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uaf-museum-of-the-north.jpg******
                                Very nice. Such a great resource for the students ... and by that I of course mean an actual destination for tourists in the summer which provides zero benefit to the students at the university other than some internships etc. I'd bet all of several hundred Fairbanks residents have ponied up the 8 buck admission fee ... cos we all know how culturally active a typical Fairbanks resident is.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X