X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 NCAA Semifinal: Boston University vs. Mercyhurst

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    There's also the part that, if you want to compare it to the DECC last year, you might ask what attendance at the second semifinal tonight would have been like had Wisconsin made the tournament. That might have provided a wee advantage to attendance in Duluth.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      With the Gopher men's hockey and both basketball teams also in action this evening, this is absolutely no surprise to me.
      During the video feed of the UM-BC game, the announcers mentioned that one of the reasons the game sold out was to allow Minnesota fans to see both the women and men's games. Everyone headed out to Xcel Energy Center after the game. That's why the building looked deserted. Had the Minnesota-BC game taken place after BU-Mercyhurst, it is doubtful that Ridder would have been sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        During the video feed of the UM-BC game, the announcers mentioned that one of the reasons the game sold out was to allow Minnesota fans to see both the women and men's games. Everyone headed out to Xcel Energy Center after the game. That's why the building looked deserted. Had the Minnesota-BC game taken place after BU-Mercyhurst, it is doubtful that Ridder would have been sold out.
        It would still have been sold out (it sold out well before the NCAA Tournament), but there would have been more no-shows. I know some people bought tickets for the entire Frozen Four in the hope of attending a game on Sunday where Minnesota had a chance to play for the championship.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          You're expecting that someone can predict two years ahead of time that the NCAA/WCHA/WNIT would schedule all of our teams playing at the same time?
          Wasn't expecting anything other than the "consideration" that I mentioned. Some forward looking consultation with some of these other groups whose timing for their events might conflict might be helpful. Then again, the Frozen Four is held every year on either the third or fourth weekend in March (don't know what determines which) so that, if it were to remain the same, would immediately limit the options.

It just strikes me as being a vicious circle. Some want these games televised but as I mentioned what impression would be left in the viewer's mind tuning in to a game where the building is empty? Psychology/marketing are at the root of the problem. The underlying impression is that the product can't be that good because the building is empty...that's just the way the human herd mentality works (why would I want to go if nobody else is going or conversely, if everybody else is staying away then that's what I should be doing too...most people think like sheep) and if it's not good then why is it being televised?

Seems to me that the above mentioned psychology/marketing translates into promotion and attempting to eliminate the competition...the line between the two is very blurred. This all assumes, of course, that the product is good.

Look at that link to the commentary that was posted yesterday about the Clarkson Cup discussing the same thing, empty buildings.

Two things immediately struck me...I wasn't aware that it was even taking place and the fact that it was taking place on the same weekend as the Frozen Four, albeit their championship game is on Saturday, which is today, the non-game day for the Frozen Four. Maybe the organizers have made that conscious decision of scheduling it on the same weekend as the Frozen Four thinking it would be a positive. If, so, it doesn't seem to be working.

Or does that even have anything to do with it?

At the same time there's no perfection...there's only so many weekends in a month/year. But that gets us back to my earlier point, that maybe these events should be held at venues where there is a lot less likelihood of local distractions occurring thereby reducing attendance or conversely causing it to be a big attraction because there's nothing else or not much else going on that weekend, locally.
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-23-2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Between the games, the concourse was packed. So much so that we gave up on an effort to walk around. My point is that there was no mad dash for the exits and that there was still a very good crowd (2,700?) for the beginning of the second game. However, a lot of it was standing and watching from the concourse, and I doubt those folks were visible on the broadcast. It was a lot quieter than the first game as well.

People started filtering out when it became obvious that Mercyhurst wasn't going to be competitive. There was a rush for the exits when BU scored their third goal, but folks had been there for five hours at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              Nice touch for the video to stop just long enough to miss Mercyhurst's only goal.

And what are these commentators talking about..."Sperry has a .88 save percentage and next to Raty that's quite good" or something to that effect!!!! An .88 save percentage is extremely mediocre, average, run of the mill...much less and you are a bottom feeder...if your save percentage number doesn't at least start with a "9" then you're not even approaching the elite goaltender neighbourhood. As a matter of fact, I'd say you have to have .92%+ to be considered elite.

I've seen BU play six games this year and prior to this game I've been very underwhelmed. Tonight they looked like a hockey team...a hungry hockey team. Rather disappointing that Mercyhurst didn't have more to offer.

But I think far more disappointing is how the crowd disappeared after the first game. Lots of people here are upset that the UM vs BC game wasn't televised. If it was you would have to think that the second one would have been as well. How good would that have looked? A National Championship semi-final game and everybody made out like Elvis after the first game. Terrible, terrible impression.

Maybe you might first want to hold it at a venue that is likely to stay full for both games...I found this to be horribly pathetic and extremely embarassing for the organizers.
              Very, very, poor.
              Sperry has an 822 winning percentage.. Her save percentage is 922. So yes very good
              Last edited by UCONN FAN; 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                Between the games, the concourse was packed. So much so that we gave up on an effort to walk around. My point is that there was no mad dash for the exits and that there was still a very good crowd (2,700?) for the beginning of the second game. However, a lot of it was standing and watching from the concourse, and I doubt those folks were visible on the broadcast. It was a lot quieter than the first game as well.

People started filtering out when it became obvious that Mercyhurst wasn't going to be competitive. There was a rush for the exits when BU scored their third goal, but folks had been there for five hours at that point.
                Well, then that's encouraging. I was basing my comments on several good views of the stands throughout the game on the opposite side of where the team benches are located as well as the concourse above those which looked pretty much deserted.

Comment

Well, then that's encouraging. I was basing my comments on several good views of the stands throughout the game on the opposite side of where the team benches are located as well as the concourse above those which looked pretty much deserted.
                  It was a gradual process, with progressively more fans leaving as the second semi went on. Whether it would have been different with a better game I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                    Sperry has an 822 winning percentage.. Her save percentage is 922. So yes very good
                    The following seuence includes my post from a different thread, in which in the end I concur with UConn Fan's comment of "very good"
                    Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    Sometimes it's best to be quiet....And by golly did I learn that lesson today

Some teams instruct their players and by extension their parents to stay of the boards. Not sure if that is the case here, but I know our D's team has done this in the past.
                    LOL I think IceIsNice is taking that advice to heart...........
                    Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Yes, but fans answer to no one. BC at least has Tony and Joe. You mean that aren't a couple of similar goofballs at BU?
                    We know there is ONE at Mercyhurst!!! Sorry Steve (Ice) couldn't let that softball go by!
                    Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                    LOL, my time spent away from the boards is more attributed to travel and beverage consumption than anything else.

I just want to say that while all of us in green acknowledge that last night kind of sucked, we are really so fricken proud of our girls. Regardless of how quickly things transpired in the game, nothing will ever erase the tremendous feeling of hearing my daughter's name announced in the starting lineup of a frozen four game. She could have got lit up 10-0 in the first period, and I'd still feel every bit as proud.

The whirlwind over the last 4 weeks has been a truly amazing experience. Watching her and her team as they were winning close games, being acknowledged with awards, being asked to attend press conferences, being interviewed for articles in her home newspaper as well as in Erie and on USCHO......... absolutely none of this gets erased by one shaky performance, even if it did happen to come in such a high profile game. Mr. UConn Fan, I would respectfully submit to you, and I think you would agree, given what my daughter's college experience had been up to this point, in the last few weeks she ripped that softball out of the park!

The final horn sounded last night and of course we were a bit down and disappointed, but like I told my daughter and several of her teammates that I'm close with, "You were here, and no one can take that away from you!"

Congratulations Mercyhurst, and yes....Ice is still doing a happy dance!

I want to say congratulations to Ms. Sperry on a very nice game last night. To suggest that she handled many quality shots would be to actually give Mercyhurst credit for something, to which I'll only suggest that our critics can't have it both ways. LOL But seriously, I thought we did have at least a few high quality chances....couple of which we shot just off net but those that were on target were neatly and efficiently handled by Ms. Sperry and I fully respect her effort and performance in last night's game. Good luck to BU..... rooting for you all the way!
                    Last edited by IceIsNice; 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM.
                    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Yes, the concourse was packed after the UM-BC games, but I was able to walk completely around the concourse about ten minutes later without much of a problem. I was in section 14 and had the most trouble going against the flow as I walked towards to the far end and UM fans were still moving towards the exit. Once I got to the far end the crowd thinned out and I had no problem the rest of the way around the arena. Another tell-tale sign was that the concessions had very short lines as I passed them. In my opinion the crowd that remained was smaller than 2,700, maybe half full, so about 1,700. The attendance at the Women's Frozen Four has been discussed before on the Attendance at NCAA thread.

As for the game, I thought BU played one of their better games of the year. I also thought that the goal that was disallowed deflated them and energized Mercyhurst, as the Lakers outplayed the Terriers for what seemed like a good 10 minutes afterwards. I though BU finally got on track late in the first and their second goal early in the second seemed to deflate Mercyhurst.
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

by IceIsNice
                        LOL, my time spent away from the boards is more attributed to travel and beverage consumption than anything else.

I just want to say that while all of us in green acknowledge that last night kind of sucked, we are really so fricken proud of our girls. Regardless of how quickly things transpired in the game, nothing will ever erase the tremendous feeling of hearing my daughter's name announced in the starting lineup of a frozen four game. She could have got lit up 10-0 in the first period, and I'd still feel every bit as proud.

The whirlwind over the last 4 weeks has been a truly amazing experience. Watching her and her team as they were winning close games, being acknowledged with awards, being asked to attend press conferences, being interviewed for articles in her home newspaper as well as in Erie and on USCHO......... absolutely none of this gets erased by one shaky performance, even if it did happen to come in such a high profile game. Mr. UConn Fan, I would respectfully submit to you, and I think you would agree, given what my daughter's college experience had been up to this point, in the last few weeks she ripped that softball out of the park!

The final horn sounded last night and of course we were a bit down and disappointed, but like I told my daughter and several of her teammates that I'm close with, "You were here, and no one can take that away from you!"

Congratulations Mercyhurst, and yes....Ice is still doing a happy dance!

I want to say congratulations to Ms. Sperry on a very nice game last night. To suggest that she handled many quality shots would be to actually give Mercyhurst credit for something, to which I'll only suggest that our critics can't have it both ways. LOL But seriously, I thought we did have at least a few high quality chances....couple of which we shot just off net but those that were on target were neatly and efficiently handled by Ms. Sperry and I fully respect her effort and performance in last night's game. Good luck to BU..... rooting for you all the way!

Well said Nice...Ladies are headed home..Was a great year not soon to be forgotten
                        Cheers!!

Comment

Thanks, but my comment was not directed at Sperry, she was only incidental to it. But after seeing your post I wondered if I had possibly heard it wrong...just went back through the replay and I did hear him correctly. Here's what he said...

"Sperry's had a heck of a year, she's 23 and 4 this year, 2.14 goals against average, save percentage just beow 88% and stacked up against anybody not named Raty, those are strong numbers"...to which A.J responded "they are" and then she went on to talk about Sperry's apparent inconsistent play this season.

So, he said that it was BELOW 88% which is even worse.

My point was simply that, regardless of whether or not the less than 0.88 save percentage was actually what Sperry had achieved this season which I suspected was not accurate, he should have known better than to state that that was a strong number when it's a very average to weak number and certainly nothing to be boasting about. A.J. should also haved known better than to agree with him...a little diplomatic correction would have been in order.

Comment

Thanks, but my comment was not directed at Sperry, she was only incidental to it. But after seeing your post I wondered if I had possibly heard it wrong...just went back through the replay and I did hear him correctly. Here's what he said...

"Sperry's had a heck of a year, she's 23 and 4 this year, 2.14 goals against average, save percentage just beow 88% and stacked up against anybody not named Raty, those are strong numbers"...to which A.J responded "they are" and then she went on to talk about Sperry's apparent inconsistent play this season.

So, he said that it was BELOW 88% which is even worse.

My point was simply that, regardless of whether or not the less than 0.88 save percentage was actually what Sperry had achieved this season which I suspected was not accurate, he should have known better than to state that that was a strong number when it's a very average to weak number and certainly nothing to be boasting about. A.J. should also haved known better than to agree with him...a little diplomatic correction would have been in order.
                            I haven't seen or heard the broadcast....I have no idea what AJ said or didn't say.... but for the last several years she has been the voice of women's hockey on any national broadcast, internet or TV..... and she really sucks. No charisma, no first hand knowledge of anything, maybe she has rubbed shoulders with players who are on or clsoe to the national team, but she really doesn't have a freakin clue and she is a horror show to listen to.

My days are over, but I really hope someone somewhere has the balls to tell her, hon you were a great a player but you really freakin suck in the annoucners booth.

Get her the heck out of there.
                            Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

I've got to say to all the parents out there that you guys deserve a ton of credit for the commitment you've had over the years for your girls. I'm an avid MU fan and I've seen a lot of you at games, met you at beef & beetles, an utterly enjoyed every Laker home game and some away (Cornell was the best!). I am always sad when the season ends especially the way this season did but I am so proud of all the girls and their parents who often drive endless miles to support their kids. I can't wait until next year. I've officially be a Laker since 1971 and proud of it and proud of you.

Comment

Originally posted by MCLaker74 View Post
                                I've got to say to all the parents out there that you guys deserve a ton of credit for the commitment you've had over the years for your girls. I'm an avid MU fan and I've seen a lot of you at games, met you at beef & beetles, an utterly enjoyed every Laker home game and some away (Cornell was the best!). I am always sad when the season ends especially the way this season did but I am so proud of all the girls and their parents who often drive endless miles to support their kids. I can't wait until next year. I've officially be a Laker since 1971 and proud of it and proud of you.
                                I have to say Mercyhurst has the best fans and community support. We were always happy to see a number of faithful that made as many games as they could, home and away. It is also amazing how the team interacts with the fans..high fives for everyone and anyone that was waiting at the gate.
                                Thank you MCLaker74...not sure who you are..maybe we've met..Our last trip down will be for Graduation in May..It is sooo bitter sweet...was a great 4 years but this one was terrific
                                Last edited by myStuff; 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X