Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Carry on, my wayward program.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Comment

great thread title!
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

It's been a strange season and now I'm expecting a Crazy Finnish!

Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

So, TV details (or lack thereof) have been released. Saturday is on the Wisconsin channel. Friday/Sunday UWBadgers.com webstream only.

What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            So, TV details (or lack thereof) have been released. Saturday is on the Wisconsin channel. Friday/Sunday UWBadgers.com webstream only.

What a joke.
            For a fee to watch on-line no less. Laughable...

Comment

What a joke.
              I'd pay 4 bucks to go watch it on the screen @ Labahn, that would be kind of a cool thing. Of course, they would never do that on a non-sellout home game or ever as they aren't that imaginative.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

As Gandalf the White said in LOTR, "There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope." That is how I feel every time hope rekindles, then they blow it again and I feel like a fool.

Can the cycle be broken?
                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                Originally posted by UWisco
                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

What a joke.
                  The problem is, it has to be worth the tv stations trouble to broadcast a game...and judging by this years attendance...demand for the product is pretty depressed. If the Kohl were bursting at the seams with average attendance 12K and a hand full of sellouts this year, I bet we would see more extensive tv coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                    The problem is, it has to be worth the tv stations trouble to broadcast a game...and judging by this years attendance...demand for the product is pretty depressed. If the Kohl were bursting at the seams with average attendance 12K and a hand full of sellouts this year, I bet we would see more extensive tv coverage.
                    Keeping playoff games off of TV isn't going to do anything to help that problem.

Comment

To be fair, The Wisconsin Channel is airing some riveting programming featuring the Japanese salamander and the Australian lungfish tomorrow night.

No doubt most will think I'm making that up. I'm not. You can tell because I would have said "featuring the Larch."
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Keeping playoff games off of TV isn't going to do anything to help that problem.
                        It's the chicken-and-the-egg nature of sports coverage. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The Wisconsin Hockey experience sells itself, but you need exposure to get people into that cycle. It can only benefit the athletic department to try and do that.

Comment

What a joke.
                          Well, that sucks.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I am just re-posting this from the end of the last thread because all my words are always so very super important and need to be read. Dammit.

I was encouraged by Buck'em's post in the WI-UMD thread regarding his shift from a downer to a more positive outlook on the Badgers after attending the games at the Coliseum last weekend. Also by WiscDC's posts and other folks I've spoken to about the atmosphere. I slapped together a long post regarding my hopes for that week (thanks for all those who responded privately and positively-btw) and I'm very pleased that so many who attended were able to enjoy a great Wisconsin Hockey atmosphere.

Originally posted by WiscDC
                            Saturday night at the Coliseum, one of my favorite moments of the game was when the Badgers kept pushing and pushing in the offensive zone, not letting up, and not letting the Huskies get down the ice. The fans, including all the non-student fans, started making all kinds of noise in encouragement.
                            On Tuesday's Hockey hour show Mike Eaves commented about this very same thing, saying how not only did he feel it, but the kids on the bench were really energized by the crowd's cheering, and what a difference it makes for them. Good for all the people who were there, I'm proud of you. We could use some more of that this weekend! And too bad for those who couldn't be bothered because the arena's chairs don't recline and there's no butler service.

Originally posted by MadCityRich
                            Something has to give. What's it going to take to get back to those deafening days at the Coliseum and the Kohl Center? Better recruits? Change of system? The boys are playing better since Penn St., but one bad game can end it all.
                            There's plenty of blame to go around, but the fact is, the team really has done it's part since their horrible start. If the season started November 30th, (DU series)the Badgers would be 4th in the PWR behind only Q, MN St., and HE champ Mass-Lowell. And AHEAD of the mighty Goofs, Miami, UND, and DU despite having series against four of the top six teams, and six of the top ten. While we can't change the start, at some point maybe fans just need to let it go and realize that right now, this is a very good team. It could be argued that after doing his worst coaching job in his tenure at WI, Eaves has turned around and perhaps done his best. If you watched Eaves' and the player's attitude and body language going into last weekend, it was very different than it's been all season. You could just about see they expected to sweep. And frankly, without the flukiness of Friday's game with (right or wrong), Little getting tossed on a weird play and the lines being scrambled, I think we certainly could have won Friday. We took it to them on Saturday. We can debate all off season about how Eaves should be axed, but it seems to me these kids have worked their tails off through a lot of adversity and deserve some fan appreciation.

It's a bit discouraging that more folks around here and in Madison haven't come to this conclusion, but rather remain in as Buck'em put it, in 'Debbie Downer' mode. We may lose this weekend, but I'll be shocked if we drop a 3 game series, albeit to a pretty decent UMD team. After that we still need to win more to pay for the sins of the first five weeks, but unlike some years when we've been on the bubble, if this team can get in they are certainly capable of beating anyone in the NCAA's. If they don't make it, they don't. Such is life and you have to play every game. Still, I think that it's certainly time for fans to come around a bit and do their part this weekend.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I am just re-posting this from the end of the last thread because all my words are always so very super important and need to be read. Dammit.

I was encouraged by Buck'em's post in the WI-UMD thread regarding his shift from a downer to a more positive outlook on the Badgers after attending the games at the Coliseum last weekend. Also by WiscDC's posts and other folks I've spoken to about the atmosphere. I slapped together a long post regarding my hopes for that week (thanks for all those who responded privately and positively-btw) and I'm very pleased that so many who attended were able to enjoy a great Wisconsin Hockey atmosphere.

On Tuesday's Hockey hour show Mike Eaves commented about this very same thing, saying how not only did he feel it, but the kids on the bench were really energized by the crowd's cheering, and what a difference it makes for them. Good for all the people who were there, I'm proud of you. We could use some more of that this weekend! And too bad for those who couldn't be bothered because the arena's chairs don't recline and there's no butler service.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but the fact is, the team really has done it's part since their horrible start. If the season started November 30th, (DU series)the Badgers would be 4th in the PWR behind only Q, MN St., and HE champ Mass-Lowell. And AHEAD of the mighty Goofs, Miami, UND, and DU despite having series against four of the top six teams, and six of the top ten. While we can't change the start, at some point maybe fans just need to let it go and realize that right now, this is a very good team. It could be argued that after doing his worst coaching job in his tenure at WI, Eaves has turned around and perhaps done his best. If you watched Eaves' and the player's attitude and body language going into last weekend, it was very different than it's been all season. You could just about see they expected to sweep. And frankly, without the flukiness of Friday's game with (right or wrong), Little getting tossed on a weird play and the lines being scrambled, I think we certainly could have won Friday. We took it to them on Saturday. We can debate all off season about how Eaves should be axed, but it seems to me these kids have worked their tails off through a lot of adversity and deserve some fan appreciation.

It's a bit discouraging that more folks around here and in Madison haven't come to this conclusion, but rather remain in as Buck'em put it, in 'Debbie Downer' mode. We may lose this weekend, but I'll be shocked if we drop a 3 game series, albeit to a pretty decent UMD team. After that we still need to win more to pay for the sins of the first five weeks, but unlike some years when we've been on the bubble, if this team can get in they are certainly capable of beating anyone in the NCAA's. If they don't make it, they don't. Such is life and you have to play every game. Still, I think that it's certainly time for fans to come around a bit and do their part this weekend.
                              It's not just the embarrassment first 10 games of this season. That came on the heals of last season's abysmal failure and the ho-hum disappointment of the previous season.

In the 2nd half of the season they got fat beating bottom ten teams like UAA, UAH, BSU, and PSU. Oh wait, the LOST to PSU in what might be the biggest collective failure in the history of badger athletics.
                              This team has an anemic offense that meshes nearly perfectly with its impotent power play. A defense first style of play that strives to prevent anything exciting from actually happening.

An athletic department that I suspect would let the home games be played on the road if someone were to write a large enough check.

Comment

Working...
                              X