X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    That's all correct. Werek's father became convinced--by some OHL influencers--that his son wouldn't get enough pre-draft visibility if he spent a season in the USHL..
    this was right on the heels of pat kane going to the ohl and throwing up obscene offensive numbers and shooting up to #1 in the draft, no?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Maybe I'm overconfident in the impact that Quinn will have, but when someone says "wait until he hits his first losing streak, people will be calling for his head", I think, really? The only people who care enough about BU hockey are on this board, and save for a handful of us, it took a LOOOOOONG time before the majority started calling for Parker to step down. I know Jofa, Rover, myself and others are so thrilled with this change that it would take a REALLY horrible dry spell to make us think he's not the right guy. As Rover said (I think), I just don't see him doing any worse than what we've seen for the past 16 years.

I have a completely different outlook on the future of the program now, and I can't wait for it to get started.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Maybe I'm overconfident in the impact that Quinn will have, but when someone says "wait until he hits his first losing streak, people will be calling for his head", I think, really? The only people who care enough about BU hockey are on this board, and save for a handful of us, it took a LOOOOOONG time before the majority started calling for Parker to step down. I know Jofa, Rover, myself and others are so thrilled with this change that it would take a REALLY horrible dry spell to make us think he's not the right guy. As Rover said (I think), I just don't see him doing any worse than what we've seen for the past 16 years.

I have a completely different outlook on the future of the program now, and I can't wait for it to get started.
        Completely agree. From a personal perspective, I was in college at BU when Jack started coaching. I have NEVER seen BU with another coach (unless you want to count the 1/2 season with Leon Abbott). Scary to think where all the time has gone...almost surreal. The only downer was that it happened so fast we didn't even have a chance to talk about it! But I'm excited and almost wish the season would start tomorrow!

Comment

That was not indented as an attack anyone on this board, nor am I predicting any losing streaks... was really just commentary as it being the nature of the business where the position of head coach for a high profile program is one of the most scrutinized positions there is.

As for me, I too will be there with my season tickets in the fall, excited about the season and looking forward to many more great things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            Myron.
            Coyle plays for the Minnesota Wild. Just sayin'.
            Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

As does just about all the long time BU supporters do. Quinn should have been the coach 4 years ago, if Jack had not been so stubborn about stepping down when he was on top. BU will get the top talent every year because they are BU. But it takes discipline and good coaching to get them to be a top 10 program year-in and year-out. This is not how Jack should have gone out after all he did for the program. I am sure that Jack must be thinking about how Jack Kelly moved on after back-to-back titles and how he could have gone out with the same adulation had he left after 2009. Thank god Quinnie was open to coming back when many thought he was the heir apparent 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by neilgold View Post
                Well clearly the fix was in from the start; but also clearly the right choice. Popular with fans, alums and the recruiting crowd as well. In the end I think Quinn's time in the AHL and NHL is going to be a big benefit and make him a better HC than if he just took over in 2009. Maybe that was part of the plan, as well?
                No, not even close. He was ready in 2009, but your point is a good one about the pro experience.

Comment

This has since been buried pages and pages back, but kind of shocking that the Quinn news was first broken by a PC fan!

Quinn had a great news conference today and is a good speaker. I feel better about the long term health of the program than I have in a long time. It's like a breath of fresh air has been injected into the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                    but kind of shocking that the Quinn news was first broken by a PC fan!
                    ??

this is Q home turf!!

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      I was interested to hear his comments about Bavis and Powers... will be interesting to see who stays / who goes etc. Did others get the impression that for now, at least Bavis will be staying? (Didn't we read about Buddy buying a house somewhere near Bowling Green?)
                      I think that Powers goes and it is 50/50 on Bavis. Powers may retire to Bowling Green. Bavis may (should) start looking for another head coaching job.

Since goalie coaches are mostly part-time and/or "volunteers," I'd expect Geragosian to stay. He is a very good goalie coach, so why not?

Pertti Hasanen is the Director of Hockey Operations and is a past assistant coach. Does he stay or go?

I suspect that Quinn will want to shake things up a bid ... but not stir the pot completely.

I will repeat that I think Mike Grier would be a terrific addition. And Albie O'Connell could help to straighten out the powerplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                        I think that Powers goes and it is 50/50 on Bavis. Powers may retire to Bowling Green. Bavis may (should) start looking for another head coaching job.

Since goalie coaches are mostly part-time and/or "volunteers," I'd expect Geragosian to stay. He is a very good goalie coach, so why not?

Pertti Hasanen is the Director of Hockey Operations and is a past assistant coach. Does he stay or go?

I suspect that Quinn will want to shake things up a bid ... but not stir the pot completely.

I will repeat that I think Mike Grier would be a terrific addition. And Albie O'Connell could help to straighten out the powerplay.
                        There's no doubt that Powers goes. He took the job quickly when they needed him as a favor to Parker, something to do for a few years. It was always understood that he'd leave when Parker did.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          There's no doubt that Powers goes. He took the job quickly when they needed him as a favor to Parker, something to do for a few years. It was always understood that he'd leave when Parker did.
                          Yeah, Powers is gone for sure. This allows Quinn a spot to input a guy he wants, so I'd bet he offers Bavis the opportunity to stay on as associate so there isn't a complete coaching staff overhaul all at once and to maintain a bit of continuity with the incoming recruits and players. But I would expect Bavis is on the lookout for a HC position of his own and is gone to one within 3 years.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
                            As does just about all the long time BU supporters do. Quinn should have been the coach 4 years ago, if Jack had not been so stubborn about stepping down when he was on top. BU will get the top talent every year because they are BU. But it takes discipline and good coaching to get them to be a top 10 program year-in and year-out. This is not how Jack should have gone out after all he did for the program. I am sure that Jack must be thinking about how Jack Kelly moved on after back-to-back titles and how he could have gone out with the same adulation had he left after 2009. Thank god Quinnie was open to coming back when many thought he was the heir apparent 4 years ago.
                            I don't think you'll get too much argument from anyone here in that regard. And that frustration has been clearly and frequently expressed throughout the last four years. Having said that, it's time to move on and look forward. What's done is done.

Comment

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
                              No, not even close. He was ready in 2009, but your point is a good one about the pro experience.
                              Fans were confident in him, but during the only interview Lynch did during the search he said definitely preferred a candidate with HC experience, not sure the U17s would have really satisfied that.

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Between getting the job and the press conference Jack and Quinn had 3 conversations, Quinn and Bavis did not speak once. I may be reading too much into that, but when I got a position that I and a colleague both interviewed for, and I still wanted them to remain working with me I called that person as soon as the conversation where I received the offer was over, I think well under 50% chance Bavis stays.

Based on the difficulty the two BC guys have had getting even serious consideration for another job I'm not sure what Bavis' HC options will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post

Based on the difficulty the two BC guys have had getting even serious consideration for another job I'm not sure what Bavis' HC options will be.
                                You don't think a big part of this is peeps figuring that the second Jerry steps down (tick tick tick tick....) whichever of the two someone hires will be printing up a résumé to send up newton way??

[fairly surmised or not]

Comment

Working...
                                X