X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by terrierhockey View Post
    Haven't been on here awhile - were this year's seniors the last of Quinn's recruits before he left in 09? And if so, do you give him 3 yrs, essentially, time for his own class to mature, before evaluating him as a head coach? Obviously, the new job begins the first day of practice, but it sounds like people are hoping for immediate effect. Not sure that happens when a crop of kids isn't his own.
    I believe he had a hand in the initial recruiting of some of this year's rising seniors. They arrived on campus in the fall of 2010, so inevitably, some were scouted and initially recruited before Quinn left in the summer of 2009.

That said, there isn't much of a dearth of talent on this squad, and it's not as drastic as in football where you bring in a new head coach and he's got to implement guys that run his scheme. Certainly he'll probably do some things different than Parker from an X's and O's perspective, but I don't see him going to the MacDonald clutch and grab and fall asleep offense that would require certain guys. It's fair to evaluate on ice results after one season because he has enough pieces right now even if #13 and #19 leave to have a successful season, but we won't know his direct impact on recruiting for at least a year or two.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by terrierhockey View Post
      Haven't been on here awhile - were this year's seniors the last of Quinn's recruits before he left in 09? And if so, do you give him 3 yrs, essentially, time for his own class to mature, before evaluating him as a head coach? Obviously, the new job begins the first day of practice, but it sounds like people are hoping for immediate effect. Not sure that happens when a crop of kids isn't his own.
      We will see... it sounds like the incoming recruits had been told all along that JP may or may not be there for all or any of their four years so hopefully this is not a surprise to any of them and nobody jumps ship...

It has been widely speculated on here that the talent is not the issue, and if that is the case, there is no reason we should not expect to see very good teams right from the start. Even Jack has said next years team should be really really good.

But I agree with what you are getting at... we should not be in a rush to jump to conclusions on Quinny's () performance... but I have a feeling that it won't take many slumps or losing streaks before people on here start calling him out... its just the nature of sports.

Comment

Quinn would have been around for some of the earlier commits in this year's current junior class, but more importantly when he was here before the D got better every year, and the players themselves whether existing or his recruits generally improved throughout their BU careers (Think of where Gryba started and finished). BU was much better with Quinn on the bench coaching Durocher's guys than when Durocher was. I'd say he gets at least 3 to 4 years to prove it, but I don't think he'll need it

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          We will see... it sounds like the incoming recruits had been told all along that JP may or may not be there for all or any of their four years so hopefully this is not a surprise to any of them and nobody jumps ship...

It has been widely speculated on here that the talent is not the issue, and if that is the case, there is no reason we should not expect to see very good teams right from the start. Even Jack has said next years team should be really really good.

But I agree with what you are getting at... we should not be in a rush to jump to conclusions on Quinny's () performance... but I have a feeling that it won't take many slumps or losing streaks before people on here start calling him out... its just the nature of sports.
          Eric:

I for one will not be one of those people. This is a long-term investment for us Terriers, as I see it.
          Proud WBA - Section 9 Alumnus

Where's your girlfriend, number 3??

Cookie hyphen puss..

Comment

Originally posted by fleabags View Post
            This is a long-term investment for us Terriers, as I see it.
            I agree.

Comment

• feel free to figure out who falls between Q arrival on campus and his departure - and whom he would have talked to before leaving.........

Player________________Date of Commitment
              Robbie Baillargeon-RW 4/11/2011
              Jarrid Privitera-LC 4/8/2011
              Marc Hetnik-LD 4/1/2011
              Danny O'Regan-C 2/24/2011
              Brendan Collier-LW 1/14/2011
              Evan Rodrigues-RC 12/12/2010
              Matthew O'Connor-G 8/7/2010
              Adam Erne-LW 7/15/2010
              Anthony DeAngelo-RD 7/8/2010
              Garrett Noonan-LD 5/28/2010
              Patrick MacGregor-RD 4/5/2010
              Matt Grzelczyk-LD 3/9/2010
              Matt Grzelczyk-LD 3/9/2010
              Sahir Gill-LW 11/24/2009
              Matt Nieto-RW 10/6/2009
              Alexx Privitera-RD 9/25/2009
              Alexx Privitera-RD 9/25/2009
              Adam Clendening-RD 9/25/2009
              Cason Hohmann-C 8/13/2009
              Cason Hohmann-C 8/13/2009
              Robert Polesello-LC 8/9/2009
              Robert Polesello-LC 8/9/2009
              Ryan Santana-RW 7/1/2009
              Justin Courtnall-LW 12/18/2008
              Yasin Cisse-RW 11/24/2008
              Yasin Cisse-RW 11/24/2008
              Alex Chiasson-RW 11/3/2008
              Charlie Coyle-RW 10/19/2008
              Carlie Coyle-RW 10/19/2008
              Sean Escobedo-D 7/30/2008
              Wade Megan-LW 7/30/2008
              Ryan Ruikka-RD 3/2/2008
              Grant Rollheiser-G 2/26/2008
              Kevin Gilroy-RW 2/26/2008
              Ross Gaudet-LW 12/1/2007
              Chris Connolly-LC 10/3/2007
              Vinny Saponari-RW 9/24/2007
              Ethan Werek-LW 5/5/2007
              Adam Kraus-G 3/30/2007
              Joe Periera-RC 3/20/2007
              Victor Saponari-W 3/1/2007
              Max Nicastro-RD 2/28/2007
              Max Nicastro-RD 2/28/2007
              Kieran Millan-G 2/23/2007
              Andrew Glass-LW 1/19/2007
              Ben Rosen-LD 12/15/2006
              David Warsofsky-LD 8/26/2006
              Nick Bonino-LC 8/18/2006
              Corey Trivino-LC 8/4/2006
              Colin Wilson-LC 7/14/2006
              *Luke Popko-LC 1/7/2006
              *Eric Gryba-RD 11/23/2005
              Colby Cohen-RD 10/25/2005
              Kevin Shattenkirk-LD 10/25/2005
              *Zach Cohen-LW 6/25/2005
              Matt Gilroy-D 5/10/2005
              %Brett Bennett-G 1/21/2005
              Craig Sanders-C 8/1/2004
              %Brian Strait-LD 7/29/2004
              Steve Smolinsky-RW 5/19/2004
              Brandon Yip-RW 5/14/2004
              Pat Percella-RW 3/15/2004
              Ryan Monaghan-LW 3/15/2004
              Kevin Kielt-LD 2/27/2004
              Ryan Weston-RW 1/16/2004
              Chris Higgins-RC/LW 1/10/2004
              Karson Gillespie-G 11/17/2003
              John McCarthy-LC 6/17/2003
              Boomer Ewing-RC 5/17/2003
              Jason Lawrence-RW 5/15/2003
              Peter MacArthur-LW 4/15/2003
              Dan McGoff-RD 10/4/2002
              Chris Bourque-LW 8/15/2002
              Brian McGuirk-LW 8/13/2002
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Chris Bourque's response - "duh"..
                Proud WBA - Section 9 Alumnus

Where's your girlfriend, number 3??

Cookie hyphen puss..

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  Quinn would have been around for some of the earlier commits in this year's current junior class, but more importantly when he was here before the D got better every year, and the players themselves whether existing or his recruits generally improved throughout their BU careers (Think of where Gryba started and finished). BU was much better with Quinn on the bench coaching Durocher's guys than when Durocher was. I'd say he gets at least 3 to 4 years to prove it, but I don't think he'll need it
                  Add Dan Spang, Sean Sullivan, Matt Gilroy onto that list of defensemen whose development was greatly aided by Quinn. None of them were recruited by Quinn.

Comment

• Originally posted by terrierhockey View Post
                    As has been mentioned by some other posters, I too firmly believe the problem is the game plan and how well the coach relates/inspires/kicksass/ with the team. Unlike some of the dark years of BU hockey, this team does have talent. In fact, its a shame how they've underperformed. O'Regan, Gretzky, Hohmann, Nieto, Rodrigues, Goonan, both goalies, etc. There's definitely some players to work with. They need to ditch the constipated offense, improve the PP, and get more disciplined by eliminating stupid penalties.

So for me provided these guys stick around I'm looking at 2 years from now as Quinn's break out season. Provided no major defections (a BIG if, but humor me), you'll have a senior class of Hohman, Rodrigues and hopefully Privitera with O'Regan, Lane, Kurker, Oksanen and Grzelcyk plus the two goalies as juniors. Add in whatever he recruits as freshman and that should be a reaaaallll solid team.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      feel free to figure out who falls between Q arrival on campus and his departure - and whom he would have talked to before leaving
                      Thanks for generating the list. He came aboard in the 2004 offseason; I believe Strait & Bennett were his first "big" recruits. I'm sure he had a hand in recruiting Clendening, Nieto, Hohmann and Privitera before departing.

The things that stand out to me on the list are:

- Early departures (Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Warsofsky, Coyle, Chiasson, Clendening, Courtnall, Cisse). He coached Warsofsky 1 year, and never coached Coyle, Chiasson, Clendening, Courtnall, Cisse.
                      - Dismissals from the team (Bennett, Saponaris, Glass, Trivino, Nicastro). Again, he coached Vinny, Glass & Trivino 1 year, and didn't coach Nicastro at all.

One can speculate whether Quinn's could've mitigated some of the early departures (of players he didn't coach) or the off-ice issues if he had been around the past 4 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        Thanks for generating the list. He came aboard in the 2004 offseason; I believe Strait & Bennett were his first "big" recruits. I'm sure he had a hand in recruiting Clendening, Nieto, Hohmann and Privitera before departing.

The things that stand out to me on the list are:

- Early departures (Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Warsofsky, Coyle, Chiasson, Clendening, Courtnall, Cisse). He coached Warsofsky 1 year, and never coached Coyle, Chiasson, Clendening, Courtnall, Cisse.
                        - Dismissals from the team (Bennett, Saponaris, Glass, Trivino, Nicastro). Again, he coached Vinny, Glass & Trivino 1 year, and didn't coach Nicastro at all.

One can speculate whether Quinn's could've mitigated some of the early departures (of players he didn't coach) or the off-ice issues if he had been around the past 4 years...
                        It will be interesting to see... I'd be most interested in the cases like Coyle and Cisse and (forgot the other "M" name that left this year)... I think for guys like Wilson, Bonino etc that it is pretty hard to "blame" the coaching staff when the pros come calling
                        Last edited by ericredaxe; 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          It will be interesting to see... I'd be most interested in the cases like Coyle and Cisse and (forgot the other "M" name that left this year)... I think for guys like Wilson, Bonino etc that it is pretty hard to "blame" the coaching staff when the pros come calling
                          Myron.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            feel free to figure out who falls between Q arrival on campus and his departure - and whom he would have talked to before leaving.........
                            Quinn was involved in recruiting all of the 2009 class --with the possible exception of Santana--including the four who departed early for a variety of positive and negative reasons. A talented group that was highly regarded at the time.

Of the last group of blueliners Quinn coached at BU, five have reached the NHL and the sixth was very close when the shortened NHL season began. Surely, not all the credit for this goes to Quinn, but a considerable amount does, especially in the development of Gilroy, who hadn't played defense for a few season before arriving as a walk-on.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              Quinn was involved in recruiting all of the 2009 class --with the possible exception of Santana--including the four who departed early for a variety of positive and negative reasons. A talented group that was highly regarded at the time.
                              IIRC Chiasson, Nicastro, and Ethan Werek were widely considered to be the "prizes" of the 2009 class. Nicastro would've come to BU in 2008 if Gilroy didn't return for his Senior year.

I believe Werek (who was a teammate of Trivino in Junior B hockey in the OPJHL) was projected to be a high 1st round pick at the time he was recruited in 2006-2007. He chose MJs a year before he was supposed to arrive; that & Wilson's early departure resulted in BU bringing in Megan a year ahead of schedule. Escobedo also came a year early as the result of Brian Strait's departure.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                                IIRC Chiasson, Nicastro, and Ethan Werek were widely considered to be the "prizes" of the 2009 class. Nicastro would've come to BU in 2008 if Gilroy didn't return for his Senior year.

I believe Werek (who was a teammate of Trivino in Junior B hockey in the OPJHL) was projected to be a high 1st round pick at the time he was recruited in 2006-2007. He chose MJs a year before he was supposed to arrive; that & Wilson's early departure resulted in BU bringing in Megan a year ahead of schedule. Escobedo also came a year early as the result of Brian Strait's departure.
                                That's all correct. Werek's father became convinced--by some OHL influencers--that his son wouldn't get enough pre-draft visibility if he spent a season in the USHL. When he bailed, Quinn recruited Chiasson. Can't complain about that swap.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X