X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
    There also was a reason why the BU players didn't really come together until the end of the season and it wasn't because Parker was leaving. it was because they knew he WAS LEAVING. Meaning they could play their free style of creative hockey and Parker was not going to hold any grudges; how could he even every game was their last?
    did you watch last nights game??
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Hi, long time BU-thread lurker, decided to start doing some posting:

I don't know how serious to take Mike Lynch when he says there will be a non-BU element to the coaching search. I hope they will talk to some outsiders with an open mind. I don't think we BU alums feel like we must have a BU guy coaching BU, do we? The surest thing, which considering the money BU will pay, is the youngish winning mid-major current college head coach. It's a surer thing than David Quinn.

I'm going to ignore any quotes from Bazin or Leaman of how much they love where they are or contracts they just signed. BU job triples their salaries at a minimum and maybe one job this big opens every 10 years. (BU, BC, Mich, Minn, ND, Wisc, etc)

That said I think the Vegas odds at this point are: Quinn 1-2, Sullivan 4-1, Bazin, Leaman, field etc, 12-1, Bavis 20-1.

One thing I'm fascinated to watch in the years to come is a higher level of accountability for the new coach since he's not a "legend." How quick a trigger would the administration have if things aren't going the way they want?

This will be a really interesting couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        did you watch last nights game??
        Just because they doesn't score it doesn't mean BU just sat in their own zone all game. I would still hope some defense is played. Think about it...the season is on the line, you are playing the most defensive team in the country, you can not go all out, BUT when BU got turnovers they quickly turned up the ice with numbers.
        Go Terriers Go! BTW, I'm just another guy hiding behind a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by neilgold View Post
          Hi,...
          john hynes is a viable favorite if interested. young, and ambitious. open to something better (nhl hc job) to reach the pinnacle of his profession.

mookie would prefer the jack kelley tenure to the jack parker

did harry asked what you would throw as a question in the innerview?
          "where do you see yourself in 10 yrs?"
          whomever it is that first answers, "starting my first year as head coach of the canadiens after winning my 3rd national title at bu in 6 frozen fours" gets the offer

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            Whitehead couldn't come to an agreement with Lowell, who did try to resign him, but didn't offer him what he wanted, so he took his chances and left.
            He went to Maine to fill in as interim head coach until Shawn Walsh got healthy. He was a volunteer interim head coach, and wasn't being paid a salary initially, and then Walsh died.

For many years, Grant Standbrook was paid a higher salary as an assistant coach at Maine than many head coaches. That is why he never left the Black Bears.

And while I appreciate what Bazin has accomplished in such a short amount of time - deservedly the Hockey East coach of the year two years in a row, if he believes that Lowell is "the summit," then he isn't looking very high, far or wide.
            He was NEVER volunteer interim? Have no idea what that even means? He replaced Gene Reilly who wanted guarantees that should something happen to Shawn he would be the head coach as morose as that sounds! So while you go by Cleverly let's just say your not that clever and what this has to do with BU I will never know?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              john hynes is a viable favorite if interested. young, and ambitious. open to something better (nhl hc job) to reach the pinnacle of his profession.

mookie would prefer the jack kelley tenure to the jack parker

did harry asked what you would throw as a question in the innerview?
              "where do you see yourself in 10 yrs?"
              whomever it is that first answers, "starting my first year as head coach of the canadiens after winning my 3rd national title at bu in 6 frozen fours" gets the offer
              Without having done any research at all... does this happen? How many successful college coaches make the jump to the NHL after 8 to 10 good years in the NCAA? I may be way off base, but I have the impression that college guys are college guys and NHL coaches generally move up through the professional system. I think Jeff Jackson "moved up" to an assistant coach in the NHL for a few years after leaving Lake State... but he is back in NCAA now..

Comment

I'm going to ignore any quotes from Bazin or Leaman of how much they love where they are or contracts they just signed. BU job triples their salaries at a minimum and maybe one job this big opens every 10 years. (BU, BC, Mich, Minn, ND, Wisc, etc)
                Do you know how much money Bazin makes? Marty Meehan has been flipping UML upside down as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if Norm makes a very comparable salary, and UML is where he went to school so he has some dedication to his job in lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Without having done any research at all... does this happen? How many successful college coaches make the jump to the NHL after 8 to 10 good years in the NCAA? I may be way off base, but I have the impression that college guys are college guys and NHL coaches generally move up through the professional system. I think Jeff Jackson "moved up" to an assistant coach in the NHL for a few years after leaving Lake State... but he is back in NCAA now..
                  so??? the world was flat, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                    Do you think they played a certain style, back when Agganis first opened, because they had John Curry in net? Perhaps they were playing to his strengths. And playing the way they thought would win them the most games.
                    I'm saying that the only time BU seems to open it up is when their back is against the wall. Now before everyone says "Wait a minute, last night you were defending them..." - I was defending the accusation that they weren't TRYING...not the strategy. I think they tried to open it up but Lowell is just a bad matchup for us, because our defense was not strong this year so you can't just leave them back there to get eaten alive.

One of the most vivid memories imprinted in my brain is Providence in 1978. Wisconsin was sending in two forecheckers very deep early in the game. On one play, O'Callahan made a deke, faked the guy right out of his skates, moved it up to center for a two on one (I think to Silk) and he slid it over to Bethel. Bing bang bong - GOAL. Wisconsin never sent two men in the rest of the game. My point is that if you have good, puck moving defensemen you can defeat a team that tries to hem you in by stretching the opponent all over the ice. This team couldn't do that because their defense couldn't get the puck out of their own end. So in this case, "opening it up" against Lowell would have been suicide. That's why I defended the decision last night not to do that. We lost to them three times by getting behind early and we couldn't afford to do that again. But in general, Jack's style (and I was at every game since Agganis opened until I gave my tickets up last year for reasons that have been previously discussed) has been to play a "possession, goal prevention" style of play, which I feel has "restricted" some of his talented players and prevented them from displaying their talent. I have felt as though it was too "choreographed" and stifled the creativity of the players. It just seems to me that earlier in his career he didn't do that, but for some reason everything seemed to change during that era when the games became dreadfully low-scoring (and the NHL was having that same problem, which I talked about before -the center ice trap and all that). Now that the game has seemingly opened up again, he never seemed to revert back to that and continued with the (frankly) boring style of play.

Not sure what you're saying about the Curry era except I guess you mean when you have a goalie like Curry you SHOULD play that style. That's fine - that's adapting your style to the talent that you have, but my point is I don't think he did that BECAUSE of Curry - that's the same style he's played for the last 15 years.

Comment

The surest thing, which considering the money BU will pay, is the youngish winning mid-major current college head coach. It's a surer thing than David Quinn.
                      If you want the surest most successful "young" coach, meaning you go outside the BU family, the top choice is Hakstol. Of course, the chances of him coming are less than winning the lottery, but if you're going to go after a younger coach currently at his alma mater and try to out pay for him, you may as well give him a call since he would be by far the best option. And please for the love of god no Blasi. The guy is a walking NCAA tournament choke. May as well hire Umile if we're going after him. My money would still be on Quinn out of all listed possible candidates, and I'd be very, very pleased with the hire.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

From a discussion on the new coach for Tampa Bay

Mike Sullivan — Larry Brooks of the New York Post mentions him as a guy who could get consideration. He’s currently John Tortorella’s assistant in New York but his last head job came in Boston back in 2003-04 and 05-06 with the Bruins. Sullivan was an assistant in Tampa Bay in 07-08 so he’s connected to the team there. Question here is whether or not he has his eyes set on going for the head job at Boston University

Comment

I have no problems in saying the Terriers will win Hockey East next Year, and at least getting to the elite 8.
                          Well then, sounds like you guys don't even need to hire a coach. Just show up and play...

Some thought this year's team would be better than last year's. How about you wait until you hire a coach and you see what happens with early defections/incoming recruits.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Jeff Blashill is a recent example. I think he only spent one year at Western Michigan before taking a job with the Red Wings.

Comment

I'm with you when you say Jack needs to go, he had not adapted to the "new" game that is being played today.
                            This is what I was saying also. I wasn't arguing with WHAT he was saying...just the WAY in which he was saying it. I just thought it was a little over the top to be saying it was a "putrid" performance and insulting everyone. I'm sorry, but no "fan" is HAPPY to see his team lose. I don't know him but it seems as though he has a lot of bitterness - perhaps he is an ex-player who didn't like Jack. I don't know. I'm sure there are plenty of people who post here who do.

If you were to go back to my previous posts I have been pretty consistent in saying that it was time for a change. But I ALSO said the day we found out that it was time for the cheap shots to stop. Let's be thankful (and maybe you don't agree with this) for all of the good memories and excitement that we have experienced throughout Jack's tenure, look forward to the future and move on. That's all...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                              You are a dimwit chickie if nothing else which I think is most likely the case. One FF in 16 years thats what we are talking about here and that was achieved due to an "own goal", the exaggerations to make a point just shows that you dont have one.
                              Seriously, calling it an own goal is stupid. You don't remember Wilson on the other post with a wide open net? This isn't curry knocking one off Macarthur's skate.
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

How have we not talked about the real travesty here? Wade Megan listed Nickleback as one of the five artists "found on his iPod." (!!!!????) No wonder they lost.
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X