X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
    haha. Whitehead wasn't resigned, Lowell didn't want him. Bazin has said time and time again...."lowell isnt a stepping stone, Its the summit".

Whitehead was the assistant at Maine. So he left Lowell to be paid more as an assistant. Makes perfect sense.
    Whitehead couldn't come to an agreement with Lowell, who did try to resign him, but didn't offer him what he wanted, so he took his chances and left.
    He went to Maine to fill in as interim head coach until Shawn Walsh got healthy. He was a volunteer interim head coach, and wasn't being paid a salary initially, and then Walsh died.

For many years, Grant Standbrook was paid a higher salary as an assistant coach at Maine than many head coaches. That is why he never left the Black Bears.

And while I appreciate what Bazin has accomplished in such a short amount of time - deservedly the Hockey East coach of the year two years in a row, if he believes that Lowell is "the summit," then he isn't looking very high, far or wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
      You haven't been paying attention for the last 4 years if you are writing this. First, he's got TWO rings. He almost unseated Muse in 2010 with a very good freshman performance - it was a full-on goalie contraversy back then going into the playoffs. He was absolutely standing on his head last year during the stretch run, particularly early in games. Last season BC was a slow-starting team then they got rolling downhill every game and blew teams out of the building. Lastly, at the point where BC had put down Notre Dame in the early part of this season to move to 7-1-0, with a BAD defense in front of him (you know, no Cross and Dumoulin), he was sporting a 1.86 GAA and .934 save%. And those numbers didn't do him justice during that stretch where they ran through to 10-1-0 through 11 games.

I'm inclined to believe he is clearly in a slump right now, it's obvious he isn't very sharp right now, but he's an excellent goaltender.

Speaking of goaltenders, I'm not surprised Maguire did so well this weekend. I still think he is better and has fewer weaknesses right now than O'Connor.
      Milner has two rings, one for backstopping the Igles to a national championship, the other for opening the gate while John Muse played.
      Of BC's starting goalies of recent vintage, I'd put Milner at the bottom of the pile.
      You can argue that the bottom of that pile is higher than the tops of some others, but I believe that Milner is an average goalie for a good D1 team, and no more.
      And I think that you are underrating how good the Igles defensive corps was last season.

And why are we discussing BC goalies in the BU forum?
      Oh, yeh, it is where Igles need to come for intelligent hockey talk.

The big difference between Maguire and O'Connor is that O'Connor gives up too many rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        5) Goalie equipment is insane and it's tougher to score today with all the shot-blocking and clogging of the middle
        Another reason to get rid of the full cages, these guys are armored up head to toe

Comment

We agree, he backstopped them to a national title. As for the other year, maybe they don't win it if he doesn't push Muse like he did. At least you've gone from calling him average at best to now "average". Still wrong, but at least you're coming around. If you actually watched the games, he was outstanding and was great for the first half of this season.

Why are we discussing it here? You brought it up! I don't consider this "argument" to be intelligent hockey talk either.

Comment

QUESTION: You are on the BU Search Committee for a new head men's hockey coach. Who is your choice, and why?

1.) John Hynes

2.) David Quinn

3.) Mike Sullivan

4.) Someone else

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              QUESTION: You are on the BU Search Committee for a new head men's hockey coach. Who is your choice, and why?

1.) John Hynes

2.) David Quinn

3.) Mike Sullivan

4.) Someone else
              Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              since we're done....

mookie DOES NOT want a coach here looking to spend 40yrs on comm ave. i would prefer a guy to come in and try to make a name for himself, then take the bruins job in 10 yrs when harry sinden calls ( ). i want someone who has hunger and that hunger stays strong to prove himself at the highest level.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

expect to go to the Frozen Four every year and win the championship eight out of every ten years (as apparently Jofa thinks we should), but if we're going to call ourselves an "elite" program we have to step it up a notch.
                You are a dimwit chickie if nothing else which I think is most likely the case. One FF in 16 years thats what we are talking about here and that was achieved due to an "own goal", the exaggerations to make a point just shows that you dont have one.

Comment

1.) John Hynes

2.) David Quinn

3.) Mike Sullivan

4.) Someone else
                  My list:

1) Toot Cahoon

2) TIMMAY

3) Frank Spaziani

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                    You are a dimwit chickie if nothing else which I think is most likely the case.
                    Is that so? Of course since you don't know a **** thing about me that's a pretty idiotic statement - but then again, you seem to be angry at everyone so as my Dad said, "Consider the source..."

Comment

Milner has two rings, one for backstopping the Igles to a national championship, the other for opening the gate while John Muse played.
                      Of BC's starting goalies of recent vintage, I'd put Milner at the bottom of the pile.
                      You can argue that the bottom of that pile is higher than the tops of some others, but I believe that Milner is an average goalie for a good D1 team, and no more.
                      And I think that you are underrating how good the Igles defensive corps was last season.

And why are we discussing BC goalies in the BU forum?
                      Oh, yeh, it is where Igles need to come for intelligent hockey talk.

The big difference between Maguire and O'Connor is that O'Connor gives up too many rebounds.
                      According to Milner's bio, he was Hockey East Goaltender of the month in February 2010. He was 4-0-0, with a 0.93 GAA and a .963 save percentage. His record for the year was 10-2-1. I'd say he did his part for that 2010 National Championship team.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                        I agree the fact that most of us are fat neckbeards (ha) shouldn't preclude us from discussing the athletic accomplishments of the players, but I also think sometimes people on this board go too far. The players we're discussing are amateur college kids. I would, and have, said some pretty pointed things about professional athletes in real life and on the internet, but I always at least try to restrain myself a bit here because we're talking about student athletes. I know it's what they signed up for when they committed to play at a school like BU or BC, but I personally feel bad publicly and anonymously ripping into the performance of 19 year old sophomores and questioning their heart or commitment. Maybe it's warranted sometimes, but I try to draw the line.
                        I think this is why some people (BU fans and non-BU fans) have a problem with some of Jack Parker's quotes, about his own players, after losses.

Comment

You are one million percent correct. I refer back to shortly after Agganis was opened and the expected "boost" from the new arena, facilities, etc didn't produce the results that were expected. Some (let's just say we won't name names) higher ups were discussing (lamenting) what could be done; one comment (and this is a direct quote from the hockey offices) was "We've just got to get more exciting to watch." Everyone present agreed with that assessment. Again, I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I say. When you have never won, you will take whatever style of play gets you there. But long term it gets boring to watch. The team that comes to mind is Providence. They have been the MOST boring team to watch, CONSISTENTLY, for about 100 years. I think if my team played that way, even if they won, I would not want to watch. This is one of the reasons the NHL changed their rules to get more scoring back in the game. We don't want hockey to become like soccer. Give me games like last night all the time. I LOVE the style BC plays (don't crucify me heh heh - get it? crucify me?) because it's up and down the ice. Yeah, they have some defensive lapses but it's better than trying to win every game 1-0. Again, all the credit to Lowell for doing what they had to do. But I can guarantee you - there have been 1800 - 2900 at Agganis all year. That style of play is NOT going to fill (or even come close) a 6500 seat arena.
                          Do you think they played a certain style, back when Agganis first opened, because they had John Curry in net? Perhaps they were playing to his strengths. And playing the way they thought would win them the most games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                            You are a dimwit chickie if nothing else which I think is most likely the case. One FF in 16 years thats what we are talking about here and that was achieved due to an "own goal", the exaggerations to make a point just shows that you dont have one.
                            Please relax, I understand you are a fan of BU's, as am I; but to insult others because they disagree with your statements isn't going to get your point(s) across. I'm with you when you say Jack needs to go, he had not adapted to the "new" game that is being played today. His current roster should not of been "held back" since they are very creative, offensive players which need to be given the opportunity to show their skills on ever shift. I'm with you 100%, but Parker is a legend. He has been the Head Coach of BU for longer the 99% of the players in the NHL, have been ALIVE. Give him respect when respect is due. He knows more about the game then all of the people on the forum combined.

We are getting a new coach next year and it will be one for three guys. (2 are currently Assistant Coaches in the NHL and 1 is the Head Coach in the AHL) all of which have a completely different outlook on the game, so be happy.

There also was a reason why the BU players didn't really come together until the end of the season and it wasn't because Parker was leaving. it was because they knew he WAS LEAVING. Meaning they could play their free style of creative hockey and Parker was not going to hold any grudges; how could he even every game was their last?

BU has great players, and some great ones coming in. I have no problems in saying the Terriers will win Hockey East next Year, and at least getting to the elite 8. A new era is coming to BU and it should be a fun ride.
                            Go Terriers Go! BTW, I'm just another guy hiding behind a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                              According to Milner's bio, he was Hockey East Goaltender of the month in February 2010. He was 4-0-0, with a 0.93 GAA and a .963 save percentage. His record for the year was 10-2-1. I'd say he did his part for that 2010 National Championship team.
                              Whoa whoa whoa whoa... what are you thinking bringing facts around here?
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                                Whitehead couldn't come to an agreement with Lowell, who did try to resign him, but didn't offer him what he wanted, so he took his chances and left.
                                He went to Maine to fill in as interim head coach until Shawn Walsh got healthy. He was a volunteer interim head coach, and wasn't being paid a salary initially, and then Walsh died.

For many years, Grant Standbrook was paid a higher salary as an assistant coach at Maine than many head coaches. That is why he never left the Black Bears.

And while I appreciate what Bazin has accomplished in such a short amount of time - deservedly the Hockey East coach of the year two years in a row, if he believes that Lowell is "the summit," then he isn't looking very high, far or wide.
                                If my memory serves me right, Lowell offered 2 years and whitehead wanted three. Had nothing to do with $$, and all to do with security. Lowell said no, and let whitehead walk.

As for Bazin, that's what he wants... To stay at Lowell. It's his dream job to coach for his alma mater and make it a
                                Powerhouse.

Look I am not trying to fight you on this, just want to set an expectation that Bazin is really not looking to move. Plus he just signed an extension before the season started.

Good luck in the off season and really looking forward to see who comes on board for BU.
                                "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
                                make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Working...
                                X