• Show
Clear All

• 2013 NCAA Quarterfinal: Mercyhurst @ Cornell

Who's Ice picking in this one?
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2013 NCAA Quarterfinal: Mercyhurst @ Cornell

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Who's Ice picking in this one?
    Be Nice to Ice. Your answer is already available in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Be Nice to Ice. Your answer is already available in the poll.
      Didn't notice his vote 'til just now.

...and then I see the Lakers need a pretty profound change from the earlier trip this season. I told Ice that I would like to see Mercyhurst in Minneapolis. Couldn't get myself to pick it though...only going with the one minor upset pick.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Okay, so... I'm a jokester, a prankster, a smaaaahhtass to be sure, but I'm actually going to be quite serious for a moment. Analyze the box score from this season's previous meeting and you'll find....

After the 1st period, Mercyhurst outshot Cornell 13-11 for the last 2 periods.

Cornell scores once in those last 2 periods on a breakway with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

Cicero gets injured mid 2nd period and does not return, meanwhile she's back and skating like she never missed any time.

Penalties/minutes are Cornell 9-18 and Mercyhurst 5-10.

Credit to Ms. Slebodinick for an error free game but these two teams skated much closer than the 4-0 score would lead one to believe.

Ergo......
        • IF the Hurst power play can turn productive,
        • IF Hurst can effectively slow down Jenner,
        • IF the Hurst goaler can remain consistent,

Then this will be a very exciting one goal game.

Oh, and by the way, win or lose....we still get to play one more playoff game than Wisconsin.....did you hear that GDS??

Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
          Oh, and by the way, win or lose....we still get to play one more playoff game than Wisconsin.....did you hear that GDS?
          You need to add in "NCAA" or something to make that correct, because Wisco' played three WCHA playoff games and the Lakers only got two in the CHA. They should really ask the players, because I doubt many of them would be in favor of first-round byes that span an entire weekend. I wonder how one would pitch that to them, "Hey guys, while everybody else is playing games, you can practice some more!" Yeah, sounds fun.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

So here's the funny thing..... swear this is the truth....

I clicked send, thought about the fact that Wisco had to play conference quarterfinals, and realized the technical inaccuracy of my quote.... and then I thought, it's all good.... ARM is probably the only one who will call me on it!

Touche!
            Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Well mistakes are bound to happen. At least you realized it.
              professional skin care products for Estheticians for your beautiful skin concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                Okay, so... I'm a jokester, a prankster, a smaaaahhtass to be sure, but I'm actually going to be quite serious for a moment. Analyze the box score from this season's previous meeting and you'll find....

After the 1st period, Mercyhurst outshot Cornell 13-11 for the last 2 periods.

Cornell scores once in those last 2 periods on a breakway with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

Cicero gets injured mid 2nd period and does not return, meanwhile she's back and skating like she never missed any time.

Penalties/minutes are Cornell 9-18 and Mercyhurst 5-10.

Credit to Ms. Slebodinick for an error free game but these two teams skated much closer than the 4-0 score would lead one to believe.

Ergo......
                • IF the Hurst power play can turn productive,
                • IF Hurst can effectively slow down Jenner,
                • IF the Hurst goaler can remain consistent,

Then this will be a very exciting one goal game.

Oh, and by the way, win or lose....we still get to play one more playoff game than Wisconsin.....did you hear that GDS??

I picked Mercyhurst too, and it was after looking at that very box score. Another worthy stat to note is that the Rookie 'Hurst tender was pulled after the first, when Cornell scored three. Ciampa came in in relief and held the Big Red to one goal, and has been playing lights out since, including a stint last weekend as CHA Tourney MVP. I have to believe that a 3 goal deficit in the first against a team like Cornell may have shaken Mercyhurst's confidence that evening, but my guess is that they are ready for the mulligan.
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  I picked Mercyhurst too, and it was after looking at that very box score. Another worthy stat to note is that the Rookie 'Hurst tender was pulled after the first, when Cornell scored three. Ciampa came in in relief and held the Big Red to one goal, and has been playing lights out since, including a stint last weekend as CHA Tourney MVP. I have to believe that a 3 goal deficit in the first against a team like Cornell may have shaken Mercyhurst's confidence that evening, but my guess is that they are ready for the mulligan.
                  I think it will be a good game. I will add that Ciampa played great after coming in in the second period. I believe Mercyhurst as a team is capable of playing much better than they did the first time these teams met this year. Cornell took a ton of completely needless penalties in the third, which made the play feel closer during the second half than it did the first half.

All of that to say, I fully believe that both teams are very skilled and capable of winning. It will come down to who executes on Saturday.
                  Last edited by mattj711; 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                    Cornell took a ton of completely needless penalties in the third ...
                    That seems to be a pattern of late with the Big Red. Against SLU, they became rather undisciplined down the stretch, took a few penalties, and got away with at least a couple of others. Two and three years ago, they were one of the least penalized teams, last year they were middle of the pack, and this year they are near the top. It may not matter as much in this game because Mercyhurst is up there in PMI as well, but that seems to be more a product of the Lakers' style over the years, while it didn't used to be the way Cornell played.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      That seems to be a pattern of late with the Big Red. Against SLU, they became rather undisciplined down the stretch, took a few penalties, and got away with at least a couple of others. Two and three years ago, they were one of the least penalized teams, last year they were middle of the pack, and this year they are near the top. It may not matter as much in this game because Mercyhurst is up there in PMI as well, but that seems to be more a product of the Lakers' style over the years, while it didn't used to be the way Cornell played.
                      They took some dumb ones late in the semifinal against Minnesota last year, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        On the other side of the equation, it was Harvard that ran into penalty trouble in the ECAC final, while Cornell had only one blemish in that game. It had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. (Not saying the penalties were deserved or not, just observing that the shoe can be on the other foot).

Comment

Link to the broadcast (at least as it is published at this time)
                          http://cornellbigred.com/showcase/#Live/1200

Comment

Article on Cornell goalie Lauren Slebodnick...http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...-Red-title-run

Article on Mercyhurst goalie Stephanie Ciampa...http://www.goerie.com/article/201303...t-I-tournament

Comment

Mercyhurst up 1-0 after 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X