UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    The most important "renovation" done at Tsongas has been the Head Coach of the Men's Hockey program, no?
    No.

Jumbotron, ribbon board, club area and restaurant, redesigned luxury suites (which has switched arena sides), new weight training facilities and we are planning on an adjacent second sheet of ice.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      No.

Jumbotron, ribbon board, club area and restaurant, redesigned luxury suites (which has switched arena sides), new weight training facilities and we are planning on an adjacent second sheet of ice.
      OK then, so if Coach Bazin leaves, then hey ho - no worries at UML, 'cuz all is lookin' sweet with the new Jumbotron, luxury suites, and whatever a ribbon board is?

Did I miss something, or did Lowell become "Club Med on the Merrimack" when I wasn't looking??
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Confirmation that some trolls live in a cave. Bombs go off in Boston 3 hours ago and the drivel parade goes on.
        Buffoon Detector

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          No.

Imagin if dey did not ire Bazin et spended da monaie on a new popcorn machine insted. Yale wood not ave standed zee chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
            Confirmation that some trolls live in a cave. Bombs go off in Boston 3 hours ago and the drivel parade goes on.
            Undreds of people is raped et murdered evury day. Evury. day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redhead View Post
              So, you are criticizing other people for posting because there was a bombing in Boston? Yet you took the time to go on this website, open this thread and post while the tragedy is unfolding. Are you serious???

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                So, you are criticizing other people for posting because there was a bombing in Boston? Yet you took the time to go on this website, open this thread and post while the tragedy is unfolding. Are you serious???
                Had heard that one of your former players was running the marathon for charity. Checked your thread to see if anyone had heard about his status.
                Buffoon Detector

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                  E was waching CNN engross in da story et den e tink, "OMG, NO ONE betteur be on da USCHO forume rite now. I'm checkin'" Et bam ere e is making da worlde zee betteur plaice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                    Had heard that one of your former players was running the marathon for charity. Checked your thread to see if anyone had heard about his status.
                    We all hope for nothing but the best for all the people that were a part of this marathon. Unfortunately, this is a college hockey forum and it is mostly about the "drivel".
                    Last edited by scoreboard; 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                      Was nearing finish line at the time, and is OK.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Fellas,

I would appear that you guys have some concern over some comments I made last year, so id like to clarify. At no point did I say facilities are the key to success---but they play a MAJOR role in recruiting. In today's day an age young kids are committing to schools at 15-17 years old and are not even allowed to make official visits, spend time with players, and gain an understanding of the culture. They are sold on facilities, academics, previous success, and the coaches. Do you believe young recruits are not influenced by facilities? Really? Come on?

Look at Quinnipiac for example. Do you think it is a coincidence that their program started to get a higher quality of player when the new rink was in the works? Look at the quality of recruit Miami started getting after the new building went in. Players from the NTDP rarely went Miami---now it is common place. If you want to believe that is all Blasi then Im not going to argue with you, but looking at the correlation between new building and higher quality of recruits is undeniable. Do you not believe that David Quinn used the new building to attract top recruits? Come on, really?

My point was simply that when you have a brand new bulding (UNH in the 90s) and your rivals (BU/Maine) have declining facilities you have an easier job than when you have a declining facility and your rival has arguably the best facility in college hockey. Does Sean Collins ever come to UNH if Agganis was there? The answer to that is NO, he would have went to BU. I know this because I have asked him this exact question. Facilities matter. Its not the end all, be all, but it plays a role.

Here is another issue id like to put to bed. I am not making excuses for anything either. UNH has been in the final 8 3 of the last 4 years---which is a nice accomplishment. I am just pointing out some of the challenges they face in getting to that point. You guys love to point out the fact that McCloskey had this magic touch in British Columbia and Borek has come in an ruined the pipe line. Well, let me fill you in on something. UNH's new admissions director has changed the foreign language requirement to be accepted into UNH. You need two years of a foreign language and ZERO exceptions are made. Guess how many years of a foreign language you need to graduate in British Columbia? ONE. This means I never would have went to UNH under their current guidelines, either would have Lanny Gare, Colin Hemingway, Brett Hemingway, etc. The only way UNH can recruit kids out in British Columbia is if they commit them during their sophomore or junior year of high school and can make sure they take two years. As you know, many top players do not emerge until they are 18 or 19---which is too late for UNH.

That is alot of fantastic players off the board. You see that kid playing for Providence named Nick Saracino? He took one year of foreign language and UNH couldnt recruit him. David Pope, a top player out in BC, is another UNH probably could have got, but he did meet the foreign language requirement and is now going to UNO. So, let me make this clear--- A kid from BC could have a 4.0 GPA and done everything in his province to graduate with honors, but UNH will not accept him without two years of a foreign language. That is what they are dealing with. That makes their jobs more challenging. They need to state and the school's administrators to get behind the team. That is a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Ciocco View Post
                          Fellas,

I would appear that you guys have some concern over some comments I made last year, so id like to clarify. At no point did I say facilities are the key to success---but they play a MAJOR role in recruiting. In today's day an age young kids are committing to schools at 15-17 years old and are not even allowed to make official visits, spend time with players, and gain an understanding of the culture. They are sold on facilities, academics, previous success, and the coaches. Do you believe young recruits are not influenced by facilities? Really? Come on?

Look at Quinnipiac for example. Do you think it is a coincidence that their program started to get a higher quality of player when the new rink was in the works? Look at the quality of recruit Miami started getting after the new building went in. Players from the NTDP rarely went Miami---now it is common place. If you want to believe that is all Blasi then Im not going to argue with you, but looking at the correlation between new building and higher quality of recruits is undeniable. Do you not believe that David Quinn used the new building to attract top recruits? Come on, really?

My point was simply that when you have a brand new bulding (UNH in the 90s) and your rivals (BU/Maine) have declining facilities you have an easier job than when you have a declining facility and your rival has arguably the best facility in college hockey. Does Sean Collins ever come to UNH if Agganis was there? The answer to that is NO, he would have went to BU. I know this because I have asked him this exact question. Facilities matter. Its not the end all, be all, but it plays a role.

Here is another issue id like to put to bed. I am not making excuses for anything either. UNH has been in the final 8 3 of the last 4 years---which is a nice accomplishment. I am just pointing out some of the challenges they face in getting to that point. You guys love to point out the fact that McCloskey had this magic touch in British Columbia and Borek has come in an ruined the pipe line. Well, let me fill you in on something. UNH's new admissions director has changed the foreign language requirement to be accepted into UNH. You need two years of a foreign language and ZERO exceptions are made. Guess how many years of a foreign language you need to graduate in British Columbia? ONE. This means I never would have went to UNH under their current guidelines, either would have Lanny Gare, Colin Hemingway, Brett Hemingway, etc. The only way UNH can recruit kids out in British Columbia is if they commit them during their sophomore or junior year of high school and can make sure they take two years. As you know, many top players do not emerge until they are 18 or 19---which is too late for UNH.

That is alot of fantastic players off the board. You see that kid playing for Providence named Nick Saracino? He took one year of foreign language and UNH couldnt recruit him. David Pope, a top player out in BC, is another UNH probably could have got, but he did meet the foreign language requirement and is now going to UNO. So, let me make this clear--- A kid from BC could have a 4.0 GPA and done everything in his province to graduate with honors, but UNH will not accept him without two years of a foreign language. That is what they are dealing with. That makes their jobs more challenging. They need to state and the school's administrators to get behind the team. That is a fact.
                          Absolutely agree with facilities helping bring in recruits. The quality of recruits QU is bringing in now are much greater than the past. This fall they will be getting Connor Clifton of Team USA along with Joe Fiala who has had Team USA experience in the past. Without High Point Solutions arena they are getting those types of kids and they are getting to the National Championship game this year. If they had the new arena they would have signed Jonathan Quick but since they had the NIP he went to UMass Amherst. Facilities are huge draws to recruits.
                          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Fellas,

I would appear that you guys have some concern over some comments I made last year, so id like to clarify. At no point did I say facilities are the key to success---but they play a MAJOR role in recruiting.
                            What's the difference between key and MAJOR? This sounds similar to UNH is doing an excellent job recuriting but needs tangible change.

Josh Ciocco:
                            It is my opinion that (Scott Borek) has done an excellent job of keeping UNH stocked with talent. Since his arrival UNH has only missed the NCAA tournament 1 year. To have the talent capable of making the NCAA tournament on an annual basis is very impressive.

Josh Ciocco:
                            First, UNH needs tangible change.

It seems to me you're trying to have it both ways in this discussion. I get it that you're trying to have a career in hockey but you can either play your cards right with the people in the business or you can give us an honest assessment of the situation, but you're clearly having a hard time doing both.

Comment

Fellas,

Let me ask you this, Josh ... you have named four (4) factors in a recruit's selection process:

* Facilities
                              * Academics
                              * Previous success
                              * Coaches

What order would you put those four items? I can't speak for you or others, but I would put them in reverse order to how you listed them.

(1) Coaches - these are the folks that ""sell" the player on their program, their projected role in the program, etc.;
                              (2) Previous success - what top quality recruit, if given a choice between a top program and a struggling/emerging program, won't aim high? Recruits a notch or two lower might not think they can cut it at the better program, so they might settle for getting more ice time with a lesser program;
                              (3) Academics - most players opt to play D-1 hockey at least in part to get a degree to fall back on, IF their plans to carve out a pro career turn out like 80-90% of the kids who play at this level. I can be convinced that academics *could* be interchangeable with ...
                              (4) Facilities - again, nice to have good facilities, but hardly a guarantee of success in the recruiting wars. Consider that BC and UMass-Amherst have almost the exact same multi-purpose arena for hoops/hockey. I believe UMass-Amherst also has an extra practice rink next door. I can't comment on the comparisons of the rest of the two facilities, but obviously you have one school at the D-1 elite level, and the other is still trying to get off the ground after 20 or so years.

Quinnipiac was/is in the same boat as Merrimack was (is?) ... a downright substandard facility, which I'm sure the top recruits would just dismiss and not waste their time even looking at. They HAD to make those changes. UNH made that change almost 20 years ago with The Whitt, before it became a critical issue, and two other schools were in the same boat then (i.e. UML, BU) eventually did the same. I don't think anyone has dismissed UNH based on facilities for a while now.

I can't speak to the Miami facilities old vs. new, but if the impact is as significant as you've suggested, I'm guessing their old rink was closer to what Merrimack had as opposed to what UNH has had for the last 20 years. It will be interesting to see what UConn does with their currently substandard D-1 facilities, now that they have committed to coming to Hockey East. You can almost predict they will upgrade, as they already have two significant revenue-generating sports. When they finally make that commitment ... will they become a "BC" or a "UMass-Amherst" level program? I submit that then depends on who is running their program, no?

Steering clear of the McCloskey vs. Borek debate, I do find your comments regarding the foreign language requirements enlightening. Can't say I knew that, and feedback like that certainly adds new insight to the discussion. But having said that, it's hard to come down too hard on admissions policies when an Ivy League school with an old-but-renovated facility just won the D-1 title this past weekend.

Now, if you can just get off the fence and answer Jacques' questions (gosh, his Franco-Anglais has improved lately, n'est-ce pas?) you will be golden.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I completely agree with the facilities argument. The coaches need to have the facilities to use as a pitch to recruit kids. The entire college system is run off this scheme. In all the tours that I went on as a normal prospective college student I noticed how all the tours would base everything on the facilities. A typical tour of UNH consists of the Snively gym, Holloway Commons, a look into Congreve hall, the Library and maybe a stop in Kingsbury. Like I assume a tour for a prospective recruit would be possibly the field house, all throughout the Whitt, and then some of the living arrangements like Holloway Commons and Congreve Hall.

Just like with any other college student UNH is trying to sell the experience. The coaches are trying to tell the kid that if he comes to UNH he will have the best 4 years of his life. I am oversimplifying it but the facilities are an important part of that. The kids envision themselves playing in front of thousands of people and training in world-class facilities. That will catch their eye over a lot of things. A recruiter’s job is to sell the program to a 15-17 year old. Shiny new equipment and locker rooms tell a kid
                                (A) that the school cares about hockey and wants to win
                                (B) that they will have better chance succeeding there than anywhere else and
                                (C) That they will be pampered to as a player

Isn’t that the whole pitch of the college experience? You will have a lot of nice things, have fun, and it will be the best 4 years of your life.

So my point is the facilities are a huge sell to a recruit. The people that sell college to kids now of days are all about the experience. I think the facilities make a huge impression on how a recruit thinks he will be treated and if he thinks he will enjoy it at the school.

Just to let you know I don’t have any inside information on the subject. I am speculating and have talked to some people about this subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X