PDA

View Full Version : Which teams advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

ARM
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Completely agree and that is the way it should be.And somebody will, and then we'll go through a stretch where the East is usually winning. Then maybe while that is happening, the West can win one on the D-III side. It all goes in cycles.

OnMAA
03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Completely agree and that is the way it should be.

This !

brookyone
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Completely agree and that is the way it should be.
This! A refreshingly sportsmanlike attitude. Comparatively speaking.

skatefast
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
This! A refreshingly sportsmanlike attitude. Comparatively speaking.

From the mouth of THE resident expert on sportsmanship.

brookyone
03-15-2013, 02:21 AM
From the mouth of THE resident expert on sportsmanship.
Good luck to UMD in their NCAA q'final! Oh wait...never mind. Darn!

The posse rides again!

Yaforsure
03-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm going to say- Cornell, Clarkson in one semi...Boston College and UND in the other with BC and Clarkson in final! :cool:

DC78-82
03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm going to say- Cornell, Clarkson in one semi...Boston College and UND in the other with BC and Clarkson in final! :cool:

Yaforsure:D:D:eek::p

pgb-ohio
03-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Yaforsure:D:D:eek::pClearly, you're on the right track, but I'm going to say there's more than one shocker on yaforsure's list. So my reaction is:

:D:eek::eek::eek:;)

OldDave
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
My two cents on what"s bad for the sport: 8-0 and 9-0 games where one team is beaten before the first puck drops; 153-3 record against a conference opponent; more fans cheering for your opponent than cheering for you in your house; other fans asking you if you have a relative playing because they cannot imagine why you are there otherwise.

Surprisingly, being undefeated is turning out to be good for the sport here. I'm seeing a lot of new people at games recently, primarily because of the coverage. At least that is what they are telling me. I must have had a dozen people tell me this was their first time in Ridder over the last couple of games (and none of them asked me if I had a relative playing!). I hope they come back for more.

Eeyore
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
North Dakota picks up a second vote.

OnMAA
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
North Dakota picks up a second vote.

Gathering momentum. Make that Three.

OnMAA
03-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Surprisingly, being undefeated is turning out to be good for the sport here. I'm seeing a lot of new people at games recently, primarily because of the coverage. At least that is what they are telling me. I must have had a dozen people tell me this was their first time in Ridder over the last couple of games (and none of them asked me if I had a relative playing!). I hope they come back for more.

" Surprisingly, being undefeated is turning out to be good for the sport here.".....I'd say yes and no as being good for the sport.....In one way it attracts media attention and more bums in the seats at Ridder, but how much does it do for the sport in other parts of the land ?....Sure, if Minny comes east, more people are bound to go and watch to see what they are all about, but not sure if it would add all that much exposure if it is a one time event. Now if we had an undefeated Minnesota Team this year, followed by an undefeated Harvard team next year, then yes, you'd see more exposure across several regions. As I said before, having Champions coming from different parts of the land from one year to the next to the next, is what creates more exposure in the media for the sport in more regions in the country.

For example, if a team like Cornell, Harvard, BC or BU knock of Minnesota and win the NCAA, it will create a great media exposure for the East. Heck TTT is still talking to this day about the BC undefeated season in 1940, ruined by McGill.

brookyone
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
" Surprisingly, being undefeated is turning out to be good for the sport here.".....I'd say yes and no as being good for the sport.....In one way it attracts media attention and more bums in the seats at Ridder, but how much does it do for the sport in other parts of the land ?....Sure, if Minny comes east, more people are bound to go and watch to see what they are all about, but not sure if it would add all that much exposure unless the undefeated team is from your back yard.
I don't see how this backs up, or supports the "no" part of "yes and no."

ARM
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
" Surprisingly, being undefeated is turning out to be good for the sport here.".....I'd say yes and no as being good for the sport.But he said here. Here, it's been all good.

For example, if a team like Cornell, Harvard, BC or BU knock of Minnesota and win the NCAA, it will create a great media exposure for the East.But that would just be the "Miracle" story all over, where the media didn't wake up to it until the climax was already over. If Cornell wins, I doubt that will be a story in Boston, if they aren't going to care much about covering their own schools that are still alive in the NCAAs.

OnMAA
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't see how this backs up, or supports the "no" part of "yes and no."

Poor wording on my part. Fixed the original.

Back2BackU-MnPride2002
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
My 2 cents on this "whats good and whats not good for women's hockey" issue,

Well, I don't think an Eastern team beating the Gophers this year would be a good thing for Women's College hockey. The exposure that women's college hockey is going to get if they finish off the season with a perfect record will be ten times the amount of exposure a team that beat them will get. Someone will come up with some bs about how the Gophers supposedly played a weak schedule, and that was the only reason they went undefeated, and so then it won't even be that big of a deal that some Eastern team beat them. Or what if UND beats them first?! And what if then UND won the title?!

That would be saying that the WCHA was SOOO much better than the East that even their lowly 2nd place team that needed 6 tries to finally beat the Gophers, was still better than anything the East could produce.

Maybe I'm biased and just hoping, maybe this whole argument of mine is wishful thinking. Maybe I am deluded into thinking if I can convince you that its not a good thing for the Gophers to lose, that then they won't?! lol
But I see this as one of those stories, that if it plays out right for the Gophers, is the kind of story that even non-hockey fans will enjoy hearing about or reading about. The only people who will care if they get beat? Die hard eastern hockey fans, is my guess. Or at least a year from now that is all who will care.

I'm telling you, as an amateur historian of sports, no one remembers the teams that came up 1 short of the perfect season. But who do they remember?!

The UCLA Bruins of the 60's & 70's. The Miami Dolphins team that went undefeated. The guy who pitched the NO-hitter, not the one hitter. Who cares about that guy? I mean 20 years later.

Only bad things can come now from the Gophers losing, or at least for 90% of hockey fans. The 10% that are fans of the team that beats the Gophers or the conf mates who care more about the conf's rep than that their rival now has this glorious accomplishment that they will never have the opportunity to have, realistically, will be happy about it, but do the 10% mean more than the 90%?! The Gophers losing will go down as one of the biggest upsets ever in the history of sports, honestly. A huge portion of people, many who otherwise wouldn't care, will feel heartbreak if they lose.

I am sure people got tired of UCLA winning all of the time, but yet cbb's popularity grew by leaps and bounds during the period where not just the same conf, but the same team, won every single game, every single conf Title, and every single Natl Title, too. It was a huge story. Ten years after a season where parity ruled and some team who just got hot at the right time won the title, are not something you tell your grandkids about. But everyone knows about the UCLA Bruins and the Miami Dolphins.

Would they put the team that beat the Gophers on the cover of a Wheaties Box?! No. But would they think about putting the Gophers on the cover of that Wheaties Box if they win?! YEAH!!!!

Who would get the invite to be on the David Letterman show? Or Good Morning America?!

So whats better for the sport?!

Long term, next year's an Olympic year, it'll be a perfect opportunity for the East to finally take home the hardware. And I'm not suggesting that teams roll over and just let us have this title. But arguing that the Gophers winning the title would be bad for the sport??? Just doesn't make sense.

OnMAA
03-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Not going to debate most of your post but don't agree with this statement.

I'm telling you, as an amateur historian of sports, no one remembers the teams that came up 1 short of the perfect season. But who do they remember?!

Many people remember the Pats failure to get it done.
Many people remember the BC failure that fell one short. (just ask TTT)
How about them Cubs....Just ask people in Chicago.
Or the Ditka Bears who got knocked of the unbeaten ranks by the Shula's Dolphins, so that Shula's Dolphins remained the only ever unbeaten NFL club in the modern football era.
Or the 91 UNLV rebels from Coach Tarkanian, perfect season until the final four.

TonyTheTiger20
03-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Gameday folks.

Good luck to everyone except Harvard.
Much respect to everyone except BU.

TonyTheTiger20
03-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Okay, good luck to everyone except BU, too.

Let's not get carried away.

vicb
03-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Okay, good luck to everyone except BU, too.

Let's not get carried away.

LGT LGT LGT That is all I have to say :D .