Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which teams advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which teams advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis?

That's a long, arduous trip. If you need to stop for a meal along the way, I recommend Jax Cafe.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      That's a long, arduous trip. If you need to stop for a meal along the way, I recommend Jax Cafe.
      Jax is almost 180 degrees the wrong direction and about twice as far from Ridder as my house. I'm pretty much without rest stop options until I make it to Dinkytown.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Well that's kind of what I meant -- it's not poor from the average team's point of view but poor from a top 8 team's point of view.

And no, BC's hasn't been much better at all. Both teams have had sub-par finishes to the season.
        Well you're taking the view that both teams are capable of being the #2 team in the country and then slipped. I can buy that for BC, but not Harvard. Harvard is what it is, a team capable of playing the #2-#4 teams within a goal and winning 1 out of 3 times, which is about what you'd expect from the 5th or 6th best team in the country. (The ratings seem to give Harvard better chances, because Harvard is better at avoiding bad losses.) And I'll take that -- it's a big improvement from when Harvard couldn't beat any of these teams from 2010 until this fall.

So I'd say BC was subpar and Harvard was par, but Harvard's par is below BC's par.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
          So I'd say BC was subpar and Harvard was par, but Harvard's par is below BC's par.
          I think there is a T-shirt-worthy slogan in there somewhere: "Our subpar beats your par!" and the back, in small font, could read, "I hope ..."
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
            As always TTT, thanks for a good chuckle.
            For sure. Some one liners in this article are vintage TTT....Good for a smile, chuckle or laugh.

"You'd feel like calling shenanigans were Minnesota not a ridiculous 38-0-0"

" 8-5-2 a really poor record given the relative lack of parity in women's hockey this season"...
            ......editors note: There is more parity now than there has ever been.

"BC managed to take itself out of the race for the Hockey East regular season title with an embarrassing tie"

"despite BC's worst game of the year last week against Northeastern, the Eagles have the horses to take this game"....
            ......editors note: One commenter said "Note to Author: Women don’t appreciate being called horses."

"an incredible performance featuring a number of those 'throw-your-hands-up-in-defeat-to-the-hockey-gods' kind of saves"

"Cornell, on the other hand, plays in the strong ECAC, featuring six teams above .500"
            ......editors note: That is exactly 50% of the league above 500 "

"Perhaps I'm basing this on what I saw with my own eyes too much, but Cornell is an incredibly good team... Just an incredibly tough and physical -- but clean -- team."......Giving some love to MattJ.

"Junior Marie-Philip Poulin, formerly the 'one woman show' down the street as the only significant threat the Terriers had the last couple years, has remained strong. Poulin isn't as scary as she used to be"

"Prediction: Boston University wins, 4-2."......
            ......editors note: TTT Picks BU...TTT picks BU.....TTT picks BU"

"Minnesota... there isn't too much you can say about them other than the fact that they are the only team ever to make it to the national tournament undefeated."
            ......................and then goes on to say..........................
            "The Gophers feature a bevy of top-end talent, a few of which are likely the best players in the history of the game........ leading what might be the best women's hockey team ever assembled."

"The undefeated Golden Gophers versus a very, very good Cornell team that I predicted would take the title last season."

"Yes, this is all shaping up to be one hell of an easy upset pick for me. I've seen this coming, as though it were a vision, for weeks now."

Having said all that, enjoyed reading the article, good job TTT and really like the title....
            "#4 Boston College goes for its first title, but 38-0-0 Minnesota stands in everyone's way."

By the way, you wanna hear a hysterical laugh....Look at this clip...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=120014751518860

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              Jax is almost 180 degrees the wrong direction and about twice as far from Ridder as my house. I'm pretty much without rest stop options until I make it to Dinkytown.
              No points for knowing about Jax Cafe, eh? OK, I can accept that.

But demerits for not knowing where your house is? Good lord that's harsh -- even for someone named Eeyore!

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                Well you're taking the view that both teams are capable of being the #2 team in the country and then slipped. I can buy that for BC, but not Harvard. Harvard is what it is, a team capable of playing the #2-#4 teams within a goal and winning 1 out of 3 times, which is about what you'd expect from the 5th or 6th best team in the country. (The ratings seem to give Harvard better chances, because Harvard is better at avoiding bad losses.) And I'll take that -- it's a big improvement from when Harvard couldn't beat any of these teams from 2010 until this fall.
                I... have no problem with this assessment, really.

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                " 8-5-2 a really poor record given the relative lack of parity in women's hockey this season"...
                ......editors note: There is more parity now than there has ever been.
                There is more talent than there has ever been, but the best and the worst are seemingly separated by a gaping chasm this year, which hadn't been the case the last 2-3 years or so.

"despite BC's worst game of the year last week against Northeastern, the Eagles have the horses to take this game"....
                ......editors note: One commenter said "Note to Author: Women don’t appreciate being called horses."
                Heh... yes, I noticed that. Figure of speech
                "Cornell, on the other hand, plays in the strong ECAC, featuring six teams above .500"
                ......editors note: That is exactly 50% of the league above 500 "
                Tied with the WCHA for highest percent of the conference

"Prediction: Boston University wins, 4-2."......
                ......editors note: TTT Picks BU...TTT picks BU.....TTT picks BU"
                STOP IT I FEEL DIRTY ENOUGH ALREADY

"Minnesota... there isn't too much you can say about them other than the fact that they are the only team ever to make it to the national tournament undefeated."
                ......................and then goes on to say..........................
                "The Gophers feature a bevy of top-end talent, a few of which are likely the best players in the history of the game........ leading what might be the best women's hockey team ever assembled."
                Well I didn't say "there is 'nothing' you can say"! haha

"The undefeated Golden Gophers versus a very, very good Cornell team that I predicted would take the title last season."

"Yes, this is all shaping up to be one hell of an easy upset pick for me. I've seen this coming, as though it were a vision, for weeks now."
                My visions have not been all that accurate lately, so I'll say that.

Having said all that, enjoyed reading the article, good job TTT and really like the title....
                "#4 Boston College goes for its first title, but 38-0-0 Minnesota stands in everyone's way."
                Many thanks
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  Heh... yes, I noticed that. Figure of speech
                  I use that expression too and never think anything of it. I see it as similar to talking about a sports car and how many horses you have under the hood; if you don't have enough power, you don't have the horses. It isn't quite like saying, "She's a big horse." Although Minnesota's had a player a decade ago whose teammates called her "The Big Horse," and she didn't mind, not that I've have necessarily used that to refer to her.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I use that expression too and never think anything of it. I see it as similar to talking about a sports car and how many horses you have under the hood; if you don't have enough power, you don't have the horses. It isn't quite like saying, "She's a big horse." Although Minnesota's had a player a decade ago whose teammates called her "The Big Horse," and she didn't mind, not that I've have necessarily used that to refer to her.
                    And then there's the Stillwater Ponies...
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

TTT --

The article sees to try to make an effort of pointing out that Minnesota only played one tournament team during their entire season, and the worst rated tournament team no less.

And I'm not sure or not, I won't assume you aren't aware of "other" ratings out there, that rate women's college hockey teams? Because underestimating just how truly good Minnesota is because they "supposedly" never played any teams better than 8th in the country before the tournament, could be a mistake.

If you bet against the Gophers, I sure hope you are getting some good odds.

Just in case you are not aware. Here is how a few other ratings have Minnesota's competition this season rated.

Massey Ratings has UMns opponents UND rated #2, Wisconsin #4, UMD #11, OSU #12, St Law #13, UNH #18, MnSt #19, BSU #20, SCSU #21 & Colg #25

KRACH Ratings has UMns opponents UND rated #5, Wisconsin #7, UMD #12, OSU #11, St Law #13, UNH #18, MnSt #19, BSU #26, SCSU #22 & Colg #25.

So, Massey's Rating has UMn with a 5-0 record vs the 2nd best team in the country. And has UMn with a 9-0 record vs the Top 4 teams in the country.

The KRACH Ratings are not that much different, giving a little less strength to UND and Wisconsin, but otherwise pretty close.

Minnesota did not play a single game vs a team rated outside of the Top 25 according to Massey's Ratings and only 2 games vs teams ranked lower than 21st. I realize that with only 36 teams, even 21st isn't that good, but still there were quite a few teams worse than Bemidji St, despite what you said about Bemidji St in your article. 15 worse rated teams? That's over 40% of the teams in women's college hockey were worse than BSU. They played tight with Maine and split with Providence, got 3 pts in a weekend vs Wisconsin.

If you only look at regulation, BSU went 3-3-3 in their last 9 games leading up to playing Minnesota in the WCHA playoffs. But they lost all 3 of their OT games.

You seemed to highlight how close UND kept the WCHA Title game, and how close UMn came to losing to BSU, but those were 2 games out of 38. They were conf rivals who the Gophers just pounded silly in all of their other games in BSU's case, and who they won handily against in UND's case.

And going 5-0 vs a team that got a split with Clarkson is a pretty good sign.

And since all 6 of the eastern teams who have a chance to move on and play the Gophers if they beat UND, are new opponents, how did UMn do against eastern teams?

Colgate was #25 in both ratings, and UMn beat them by a total score of, 18-0.
                      N Hamp was #18 in both ratings, and UMn beat them by a total score of, 14-2.
                      St Law was #13 in both ratings, and UMn beat them by a total score of, 11-0.

So yes, as would be expected, the better the competition, the less of a pounding the Gophers gave them.

Cornell also gave Colgate a pounding early in the season, 18-2. So other than letting them score on them, it could be considered a wash?

But the same TIGHTENING UP that you pointed out was happening to the Gophers, not winning by such large margins, happened just the same to Cornell as all they could muster against this admitted creampuff, is two 1 pt wins. From 18-2, to 8-6??? And don't worry, not busting your chops too much, I understand you are trying to figure out a reason to come to believe that the Gophers can be beat. And they can, but pointing out that they are suffering from the same tightening up effect that Cornell is also suffering from, proves nothing. Maybe it could be argued that Cornell is far more beatable now than they were earlier?! That seems to be what you are trying to convince yourself of? But I don't know about Cornell so much, but while Minnesota is supposedly tightening up, you have noticed that a lot of that has to do with not having been scored upon for 6 games straight, right?! Teams when then have a 2-0 or 3-0 lead going into a 3rd period, may sometimes play more defense than offense. And unlike in football, in hockey that can be a very effective strategy.

And another example involving Cornell is with St Lawrence, beating them in 3 games by a total of 15-3, isn't too far off from the Gophers 11-0 drubbing.

But in Cornell's latest matchup with St Lawrence, they only won by 2 goals.

So, what we have here are two teams that both can put a beat down on a creampuff opponent. But Minnesota, unlike Cornell, hasn't lost to anyone. And so we have to wonder, is the PWR a more accurate judge of the quality of a team, or the KRACH or the Massey Rating?

No matter which one you look at, it seems like Cornell plays pretty even up with the other eastern teams heading to the Dance. Which still means they are very good.

If we look only at the KRACH and Massey Ratings, Minnesota has shown its far superior to at least 2 Top 5-7 quality teams, but just one if looking at the PWR.

But if you couldn't guess, I do not think that the PWR is the best of those 3 rating services, and not the 2nd best, either. I don't think too many people would disagree with that. I'm not so much of a homer though to argue that the Massey is better than the KRACH, for I'm not really sure which is better? I do still wish we could have traded in our 2 game series with Colgate with one of the other Eastern teams in the Top 7, so that we could have a better idea of how close those eastern teams are to Minnesota. But it didn't happen that way, so water under the bridge.

I am not sure how the KRACH has done, but the Massey Rating has correctly predicted the eventual winner 8 of the last 10 years. Most of its incorrect predictions were from the early years and the one time they predicted an eastern team to win it recently. And yes, it has UMn winning this year.

Well, honestly I don't know if I was even trying to make a point there, other than that UND and UW were probably tougher opponents than you may think, and maybe I just wanted to look over the situation myself and see how things looked. In games vs Common opponents, Cornell did look almost as impressive as UMn, so I'll give them that. Both teams have tightened up late in the season, which is natural, but both won all or enough of their games vs tough opponents. I'd say it should make for a great matchup, with the 2 things I think will sway things Minnesota's way, being their incredible depth and their Goaltender.

And I feel kind of stupid even thinking about a possible matchup with Cornell, but thankfully I know that the Brad Frost and his players ARE NOT thinking of anyone but UND right now.
                      Last edited by Back2BackU-MnPride2002; 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I feel kind of bad now, because you obviously put a lot of effort into this. TTT is kind of like our version of "South Park", where if you allow it, you're going to be offended a lot, but he is great entertainment.
                        Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
                        Well, honestly I don't know if I was even trying to make a point there...
                        That's probably the best approach with Tony ... don't have a point, just type stuff.

Comment

Can't recall for sure. The Frozen Four Championship Game is not carried live on the internet, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            And then there's the Stillwater Ponies...
                            Is that the team sponsored by Brooky ?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Can't recall for sure. The Frozen Four Championship Game is not carried live on the internet, is it?
                              It is.

Comment

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
                                ................Super Long rant....................
                                Well, honestly I don't know if I was even trying to make a point ..........
                                Maybe you had a point but forgot along the way
                                Most readers probably would not have gotten as far to get your point in the first place

I get it...You are a staunch Minny fan and don't get TTT's exhuberance over his BC team, and his belief that Cornell, according to him the best team He has seen, could win this game. He wrote his article for the BC crowd in a BC centric paper, not for this board or on this board. As a person with no Horse in this race, here is that Horse reference again , found TTT's article to be amusing and entertaining......so take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the game this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X