Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which teams advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which teams advance to the Frozen Four in Minneapolis?

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Any guesses as to who I have winning?
    Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    TTT picks BU ...
    Has Hades frozen over?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Any guesses as to who I have winning?
      Northeastern?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Either he had a mattj-style hanging-chad problem or he is feeling really Hockey Easty.
        That made me LOL. I had completely forgotten about that.

Comment

Here's the comprehensive BCI tournament preview, courtesy of everyone's favorite USCHO poster:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...nament-preview
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I can't quite get the "really poor record" comment on Harvard's second half. So the team went 2-5 against NCAA qualifying teams, and tied two decent teams (Dartmouth & SLU), and then beat everyone it should. (And Harvard was just 1-1 against NCAA qualifying teams in the first half.) BC meanwhile went 3-1 against NCAA qualifying teams in the second half, lost two games against a decent Northeastern team, and tied an awful Vermont team, which is better but not really leaps and bounds better. It's certainly not a Frozen Four favorite performance for Harvard, and it's mediocre judged by that standard, but I wouldn't call it really poor.

Comment

Here's the comprehensive BCI tournament preview, courtesy of everyone's favorite USCHO poster:

Good article.

But, Cornell 4 - UM 1 (ENG) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (with no lack of respect to Cornell).

There are some things about UM that you don't yet get.

Like the serious depth (as in deep depth) that wears teams down by the third period if they were otherwise able to keep the game close until then. Seen it happen to UMD this year and to others. Make a mistake and they can score in bunches like UMD used to do a few years ago.

Are they beatable? Sure, just as any team is on any given night. And their record might possibly create a reversed pressure on them at the same time that it is creating a direct one on their opponents. But your storyline (score and ENG) is laughable.

But, we'll only know if the match up occurs.

Comment

Amanda Kessel took regular shifts in both games this past weekend and looked healthier than she has in a while despite picking up just one assist on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Good article.

But, Cornell 4 - UM 1 (ENG) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (with no lack of respect to Cornell).

Like the serious depth (as in deep depth) that wears teams down by the third period if they were otherwise able to keep the game close until then. Seen it happen to UMD this year and to others. Make a mistake and they can score in bunches like UMD used to do a few years ago.

Are they beatable? Sure, just as any team is on any given night. And their record might possibly create a reversed pressure on them at the same time that it is creating a direct one on their opponents. But your storyline (score and ENG) is laughable.

But, we'll only know if the match up occurs.
                  Right now 75% of the prognosticators have Cornell and Minny winning their semi's.
                  (33% top seed pickers, 21% each have either BU or BC lose)
                  Interesting that 42% see one of the Beantown home teams lose, split equally between Harvard over BC and Clarkson over BU.
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

It's Monique Lamoureux (no longer hyphenated.)
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                      I can't quite get the "really poor record" comment on Harvard's second half. So the team went 2-5 against NCAA qualifying teams, and tied two decent teams (Dartmouth & SLU), and then beat everyone it should. (And Harvard was just 1-1 against NCAA qualifying teams in the first half.) BC meanwhile went 3-1 against NCAA qualifying teams in the second half, lost two games against a decent Northeastern team, and tied an awful Vermont team, which is better but not really leaps and bounds better. It's certainly not a Frozen Four favorite performance for Harvard, and it's mediocre judged by that standard, but I wouldn't call it really poor.
                      Well that's kind of what I meant -- it's not poor from the average team's point of view but poor from a top 8 team's point of view.

And no, BC's hasn't been much better at all. Both teams have had sub-par finishes to the season.

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Good article.

I get all that. I know they're good. I'm not saying they aren't.

What's laughable about Cornell getting up by 2 goals? That's not farfetched at all... Cornell carries a slim lead most of the game (which has happened in some Minnesota games against lesser teams), but then manages to score the insurance goal mid-third, perhaps against the run of play. And then considering a team will have an empty net longer when down by 2, it's not unreasonable to think an ENG would go in.

4-1 looks like a much bigger blowout than it really is. If I had said "3-1, and then an empty netter tacked on" would you have thought it as laughable?

In any case -- I do not think that Cornell is a better team. It's an upset pick.

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      Amanda Kessel took regular shifts in both games this past weekend and looked healthier than she has in a while despite picking up just one assist on the weekend.
                      Thanks, I figured she would probably start getting more shifts once the big games started to come up.

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      It's Monique Lamoureux (no longer hyphenated.)
                      And thank you as well.
                      Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

NCAA Championship: No. 2 Cornell vs. No. 1 Minnesota: If this is indeed the national final, it is a must-watch, folks. The undefeated Golden Gophers versus a very, very good Cornell team that I predicted would take the title last season. What this game comes down to is Can A Top Team Beat Minnesota? I am a firm believer that they can, and will.

Minnesota's season has been eerily similar to to the Patriots 18-1 season, in which their wins toward the end of the year started to become less and less convincing. The Gophers took the WCHA title last week against North Dakota just 2-0. UND only trailed in shots 34-30. Minnesota needed overtime to dispatch one of the worst teams in the country, 6-26-2 Bemidji State, just a couple short weeks ago.

Yes, this is all shaping up to be one hell of an easy upset pick for me. I've seen this coming, as though it were a vision, for weeks now. It's just too tempting. Cornell wins, 4-1 (ENG), and brings the NCAA championship to the east for the very first time.
                        As always TTT, thanks for a good chuckle.

So you see a Cornell win over Minnesota in a game in front of a partisan crowd in Ridder Arena that would cement a Minnesota legacy - must be the last four dominating one goal wins by Cornell in the ECAC Tourney (two goal with EN vs SLU) vs Minnesota's last six wins by shutout (25-0 cumulative). And of course not to cherry pick, but two of those recent Minnesota wins were over Bemidji (8-0 with 8 different scorers and 5-0) so yes I see how that is not very convincing. And certainly nothing convincing about a shutout over North Dakota's (a TUC) dynamic offense on the 5th time you've played them this season. So I see your points - good call.

Certainly Minnesota can be beat......though it seems Brad Frost and his team have managed this special session very well. So, I don't expect to see the Gophers suddenly fall flat on both offense and defense at this point in the season. For Cornell to win, I think they would likely need a higher scoring 5-4 type of game...and defensively I don't see Minnesota giving up 5 goals.

Comment

If I had said "3-1, and then an empty netter tacked on" would you have thought it as laughable? In any case -- I do not think that Cornell is a better team. It's an upset pick.
                          Yes, I would have.

And I understand that you don't think Cornell is a better team.

Now you've got me contemplating this match up in the final.

Comment

I enjoy the dialogue here.

Just calling it like I see it as an outsider.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Who's coming to Minneapolis if their team advances? Or regardless?
                              Regardless!
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                                Who's coming to Minneapolis if their team advances? Or regardless?
                                I'll be making the long drive down from Nordeast no matter who is playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X