Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Duluth @ Wisconsin-Madison: Playoffs?! Playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Duluth @ Wisconsin-Madison: Playoffs?! Playoffs!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Early for Hockey talk, but a little perspective on this week's matchup:
    • The Badgers are 54-14-0 (.794) all-time at home in the WCHA playoffs.
    • Wisconsin sports a perfect first round record all-time against UMD, never having dropped even one game.
    • The Badgers have been crowned WCHA Tournament Champions 11 times to UMD's 3.
    • In recent history, (let's take the last 7 seven years for a completely random and arbitrary number) Wisconsin is perfect in having never lost a home WCHA series, while UMD is also perfect in never having won on the road.

Seems like a trend is developing.
    Personally I cannot stand these historical stats, they are totally meaningless and are no predictor on the future. Here's some pertinent stats:

Last 10 games:
    UW 6-3-1
    UMD 4-2-4

Special teams:
    PP UW 12%, UMD 24%
    PK UW 80%, UMD 82%

30 point scorers:
    UW 1, UMD 3

20 point scorers:
    UW 4, UMD 1

Goaltending Tandems:
    UW GAA 1.94/2.00 - S% .928/.926
    UMD GAA 2.72/2.83 - S% .900/.894

UW has scored 20 more even strength goals than UMD, UMD has scored 27 more ppg's than UW.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      30 point scorers:
      UW 1, UMD 3

20 point scorers:
      UW 4, UMD 1
      Now that is a statistical anomaly.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Early for Hockey talk, but a little perspective on this week's matchup:
        • The Badgers are 54-14-0 (.794) all-time at home in the WCHA playoffs.
        • Wisconsin sports a perfect first round record all-time against UMD, never having dropped even one game.
        • The Badgers have been crowned WCHA Tournament Champions 11 times to UMD's 3.
        • In recent history, (let's take the last 7 seven years for a completely random and arbitrary number) Wisconsin is perfect in having never lost a home WCHA series, while UMD is also perfect in never having won on the road.

Seems like a trend is developing.
        You didn't fact-check your cherry-picking well. Last time UMD won the Broadmoor, 2009, they won on the road at CC in the first round. (The last time we were in the road in the first round.)
        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesy McCheeser View Post
          Badgers will sweep, baby!
          Besides this Cheesy fan... all Badger fans want UMD to win. Mr. Cheese will be the only Badger fan at the KC rooting for Wisconsin.

These posts below further prove my point in the first post of this thread.
          Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          If a loss guaranteed a new coach and direction, I'd have to at least consider rooting for it.

Otherwise, just win baby. How fun would it be to play spoiler up in St Paul?

Unfortunately, that's what we've got at this point. Pathetic.
          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I'm conflicted between my desire to see the Badgers backdoor their way into the NCAAs and my sorrow in just wanting this all to be over with.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            Oh, I'll be there.

Big picture though. I want a new coach and a new direction.

Given the choice, I'd take that over a most-likely meaningless series victory.

I'm not presented with that choice though. So I will be there and rooting for us to win.

Comment

If a loss guaranteed a new coach and direction, I'd have to at least consider rooting for it.

Otherwise, just win baby. How fun would it be to play spoiler up in St Paul?

Unfortunately, that's what we've got at this point. Pathetic.
              This team still has much to play for this season as an at-large NCAA bid is a real possibility.

That said, I would like nothing more than to have any confidence at all that the future is going to be better, but alas I have no hope of a brighter future for Badger hockey. The results have been just good enough to allow the status quo to continue.

That said, no possible outcome would surprise me from this weekend. But I do expect that hockey (or something resembling hockey) will be played on Sunday.

Comment

If they can get through this weekend, the Badgers will no longer "have to" play at home and gain road-ice advantage for the rest of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                  You didn't fact-check your cherry-picking well. Last time UMD won the Broadmoor, 2009, they won on the road at CC in the first round. (The last time we were in the road in the first round.)

Well sure, but if you're going to go around insisting on the use of actual factual facts in this discussion, there's going to be trouble.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Besides this Cheesy fan... all Badger fans want UMD to win. Mr. Cheese will be the only Badger fan at the KC rooting for Wisconsin.

UMD is practically in WI, I can see a crossover fanbase. Now only if their uniform colors weren't so friggin ugly.....I will never get over that.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Personally I cannot stand these historical stats, they are totally meaningless and are no predictor on the future.
                      Thank you, Sir! (Goalie Dads rock!)
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

UMD is practically in WI, I can see a crossover fanbase. Now only if their uniform colors weren't so friggin ugly.....I will never get over that.
                        Admit our jerseys look much better than the team that has created your dislike for our colors. Especially the home jersey...although I love the road ones too.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Admit our jerseys look much better than the team that has created your dislike for our colors. Especially the home jersey...although I love the road ones too.

Who had the colors first?

Serious question.

Comment

Who had the colors first?

Serious question.
                            Minnesota Gophers were playing before UMD was founded. I don't know of any changes in colors for Minnesota but Duluth's colors always have a tint of green.
                            Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                            Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Originally posted by gopheritall View Post
                              Minnesota Gophers were playing before UMD was founded. I don't know of any changes in colors for Minnesota but Duluth's colors always have a tint of green.
                              Sioux envy. You all have it.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Sioux envy. You all have it.
                                Envy was the point.

Turns out that, according to school web sites, UMD was Green and Gold until 1947 and Minnesota has used Maroon and Gold since 1880. When the U adopted Duluth (in 1947) they changed their colors for the better. I guess that explains the remainder of the green tint.
                                Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                                Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Working...
                                X