Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

... I wouldn't have any appointments. (what song/band is that from?)

We have a team that was supposed to win Hockey East against their blood rivals, but managed one point.
    Against a team that was a win away from taking Hockey East but for the worst power play performance in human history.

Rather hoping the Friars rally and give Gillies some support as I don't trust the SMT's to stay dead, even with a "Fire Umile" thread making an appearance.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Re: UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

The pending best two of three series at Providence brings back memories of what I believe is the last time UNH played playoff games at Providence. The year was 1990, Bob Kullen's last as coach. UNH was a five seed, Providence a four. In the first game UNH got blown out (I just looked it up, 5-1), came back and won the second 2-0. In the third game we're sitting there early in the third period, behind something like 4-1 and wondering, why did we make the trek down to Providence three nights in a row. Something clicked though and UNH reeled off five straight goals and won 7-4. UNH was led by the sophomore class that night - Savo Mitrovic, Joe Flanagan, the Morrow brothers et al - with the winning goal scored by Riel Bellegarde. Although UNH wound up losing to BC in the semifinals in overtime (played at Conte Form btw because of a measles outbreak) after being up by two with something like 4 minutes to go. Despite the loss, I've always felt that the victory at PC was a pivotal moment in the turnaround in UNH's fortunes.

Does this UNH team have the same kind of fortitude as the team 23 years ago. I doubt it. Back then UNH had ascending talent. That is the junior class was better than senior class, the sophomore class was better than the juniors. Don't see that same trend now, and more importantly, I don't see the same kind of gumption (there's a word) that I saw back then. The only glimmer is that, frankly, when we traveled to Providence for those three games, I really had no expectation that they could/would win. Same goes for this year so maybe there will be something that surprises me. I can only hope.
    Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Saturday and Sunday (if nec) games will both be on NESN.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
        Yuck...screws up my weekend schedule
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
          Hope NESN knows enough to send their trucks to PROVIDENCE not DURHAM
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

When was the last time Nesn was at Scheinder for a non-BU time buy game?
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Heck those drivers are in trouble any time they can't follow the Green Line going from one end of Comm Ave to the other.
              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                Heck those drivers are in trouble any time they can't follow the Green Line going from one end of Comm Ave to the other.
                They seem to go to Alfond more than the Coffin.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  ... I wouldn't have any appointments. (what song/band is that from?)

We have a team that was supposed to win Hockey East against their blood rivals, but managed one point.
                  Against a team that was a win away from taking Hockey East but for the worst power play performance in human history.

Rather hoping the Friars rally and give Gillies some support as I don't trust the SMT's to stay dead, even with a "Fire Umile" thread making an appearance.
                  UNH has shown very little aptitude all season for getting the puck past a good goalie, perhaps Gillies least of all (curse of the father?). I'm afraid it's two and done for my 'Cats.
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                    UNH has shown very little aptitude all season for getting the puck past a good goalie, perhaps Gillies least of all (curse of the father?). I'm afraid it's two and done for my 'Cats.
                    UNH , when there facing a must win game bet the house against them ..... If I dug deep and if certain stats were available going back ummmm 20 years willing to bet UNH is like 0-99 . Point being they never rise to the occasion. however, just when you throw in the towel like I have they surprise you . They were 0-2-1 against pc this year... Do I dare make a prediction . Will go three games much like the playoffs back in 1990 . Unh was down 2 goals with like 5 minutes left ( threw the towel in ) and Dan potter ( from RI ) threw the puck at the net from the point , the puck managed to take a few fortuitous bounces into the back of the net . Than a few moments later this time a blast from the same angle found the net unscathed. Unh went on to win in overtime. Did they go the Garden nope, measle epidemic forced all games at neutral sights , in this case UNH - BC , at Bc..
                    UNH had 3-1 lead with under a minute , gave up two goals on tip ins from the point off face offs and proceded to quickly lose in OT. to David emma ....ooops got side tracked .
                    Realistically speaking cant see Prov. going 4-0-1 against UNH , the teams are two evenly matched . Game three will be OT thriller crystal ball isnt clear to predict a winner . sorry going to have to wait .

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                      UNH , when there facing a must win game bet the house against them ..... If I dug deep and if certain stats were available going back ummmm 20 years willing to bet UNH is like 0-99 . Point being they never rise to the occasion.
                      I could pretty much say the same thing about PC. Granted, they haven't had an eighth of the opportunities that UNH has had, but still...

Tie game against UML early in the third and the roof caves in. Sigh...

-Blackadder
                      -Casablanca
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        Personally I would be happy if they sent Tom Caron to Durham for the game(s).

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_cliff View Post
                          Personally I would be happy if they sent Tom Caron to Durham for the game(s).
                          I suspect he already has his hotel booked in the Seacoast area.
                          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                            UNH , when there facing a must win game bet the house against them ..... If I dug deep and if certain stats were available going back ummmm 20 years willing to bet UNH is like 0-99 . .
                            Try being a season ticket holder since 1968 .....

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              Try being a season ticket holder since 1968 .....
                              that equates to lots of frustration , especialy those gifted late 70 s teams ..But red sox found a way ..

Comment

Working...
                              X