PDA

View Full Version : UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

chickod
03-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Already been decided. UML plays at 5 and BC/BU play late game. I am ok with this due to some intangibles with playing at 5.

We've had this discussion on some of the other threads. TV makes the final call. And, let's be honest here. If you are in impartial observer, would you rather see BU/BC in Boston with BU having to win to make the NCAAs and Jack Parker coaching in perhaps his FINAL game, or Lowell vs anybody? Really. This was decided as soon as the seedings came out and BC/BU were 3-4. No matter what happened (unless Lowell lost to Maine, and that was determined after Friday night), they were going to play each other and I'm sure at that moment it was a done deal. It was up on the BU website five minutes after last night's game that BU/BC would be at 8. Not only that, it also keeps in line with the feeling that the #1 seed should play the first game anyway, since that gives them more rest before the final. And if you think that's silly, remember 2008 (well, I'm SURE you do :D) when BC/UNH went three overtimes and the BU/Vermont game started at 11:00 with about 500 people in the stands at the Garden? Not making any excuses for Vermont because they were not likely to beat BC anyway, but I'm sure it didn't help that they probably didn't get to sleep until around 6 in the morning!

chickod
03-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Kinda sucks for PC fans, 8 days ago playing for a title, now its all over with a loss today

Sucks even more for the PC team...all they had to do was win. This brings up another of my rants. This obsession with the PWR. If teams would just focus on WINNING the game at hand, they wouldn't be in this situation. I have been yelling the loudest over on the BU thread for two years now that if they would just WIN they wouldn't have to worry about "sneaking in the back door." PC had their chance and their season will end this afternoon.

goblue
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Sucks even more for the PC team...all they had to do was win. This brings up another of my rants. This obsession with the PWR. If teams would just focus on WINNING the game at hand, they wouldn't be in this situation. I have been yelling the loudest over on the BU thread for two years now that if they would just WIN they wouldn't have to worry about "sneaking in the back door." PC had their chance and their season will end this afternoon.
Not necessarily. The game doesn't start until 4:40 p.m. All Providence has to do is win, as you said yourself re: other teams. They're not done until they lose a game.

GoUNH
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
We've had this discussion on some of the other threads. TV makes the final call. And, let's be honest here. If you are in impartial observer, would you rather see BU/BC in Boston with BU having to win to make the NCAAs and Jack Parker coaching in perhaps his FINAL game, or Lowell vs anybody? Really. This was decided as soon as the seedings came out and BC/BU were 3-4. No matter what happened (unless Lowell lost to Maine, and that was determined after Friday night), they were going to play each other and I'm sure at that moment it was a done deal. It was up on the BU website five minutes after last night's game that BU/BC would be at 8. Not only that, it also keeps in line with the feeling that the #1 seed should play the first game anyway, since that gives them more rest before the final. And if you think that's silly, remember 2008 (well, I'm SURE you do :D) when BC/UNH went three overtimes and the BU/Vermont game started at 11:00 with about 500 people in the stands at the Garden? Not making any excuses for Vermont because they were not likely to beat BC anyway, but I'm sure it didn't help that they probably didn't get to sleep until around 6 in the morning!

It makes total sense that BC/BU are the late game for television ratings. Just sucks for me because I was hoping to take the train with my 8 year old daughter but the only train option home leaves at 11. Thats not NESN's problem, its mine. Guess we'll be driving into town.

Go-UML
03-17-2013, 12:50 PM
We've had this discussion on some of the other threads. TV makes the final call. And, let's be honest here. If you are in impartial observer, would you rather see BU/BC in Boston with BU having to win to make the NCAAs and Jack Parker coaching in perhaps his FINAL game, or Lowell vs anybody? Really. This was decided as soon as the seedings came out and BC/BU were 3-4. No matter what happened (unless Lowell lost to Maine, and that was determined after Friday night), they were going to play each other and I'm sure at that moment it was a done deal. It was up on the BU website five minutes after last night's game that BU/BC would be at 8. Not only that, it also keeps in line with the feeling that the #1 seed should play the first game anyway, since that gives them more rest before the final. And if you think that's silly, remember 2008 (well, I'm SURE you do :D) when BC/UNH went three overtimes and the BU/Vermont game started at 11:00 with about 500 people in the stands at the Garden? Not making any excuses for Vermont because they were not likely to beat BC anyway, but I'm sure it didn't help that they probably didn't get to sleep until around 6 in the morning!Which part of 'I'm ok with it' didn't quite sink in?

Go-UML
03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Good luck to the Friars. If we can't play you Saturday, I'd rather have both our programs get the exposure of playing in Boston. :)

The Zlax45
03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
It makes total sense that BC/BU are the late game for television ratings. Just sucks for me because I was hoping to take the train with my 8 year old daughter but the only train option home leaves at 11. Thats not NESN's problem, its mine. Guess we'll be driving into town.

Probably cheaper to drive then take the train for three people...

Jon
03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Not necessarily. The game doesn't start until 4:40 p.m. All Providence has to do is win, as you said yourself re: other teams. They're not done until they lose a game.

I was going to say, I didn't realize PC forfeited.

Saves me the trouble of watching this game I suppose...

chickod
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Which part of 'I'm ok with it' didn't quite sink in?

Nothing to do with you. It just gave me the opportunity to bring the subject up on a different thread. I wasn't trying to "defend" the situation. :)

chickod
03-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Probably cheaper to drive then take the train for three people...

In fact, it's even WORSE for the fans of the late game. For example (and again I invoke 2008), I made the mistake of parking at a garage in Cambridge next to where I was working at the time. I figured I'd just take the T back to Central Square after the game. Brilliant idea...except that our game started at 11:00 and ended at 1:30. So I tried to hop on one of the shuttle buses that BU provided for the students. Yeah, there was a good chance of my getting on one of about five buses that were there to take 1000 students back to campus. So I walked from the Garden to the BU Bridge, over to Cambridge and back to Erie Street. It was about 20 degrees out. Got to my car at 2:45 a.m. and home by 3:45 a.m. Boy, was that fun! And if you take commuter rail, good luck with that. Depending upon when your last train leaves, you'll still miss part of the game if it starts late. And if you DO have a "later" train, you'll get home about the same time I did. At least if my team played first I could always invoke the option of leaving before the 2nd game was over (much as I wouldn't like it, but it's better than walking one hour at 2:00 in the morning when it's 20 degrees outside)...

unh1982
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
lowest seed always plays early game , ie , more sleep...

chickod
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM

I was going to say, I didn't realize PC forfeited.

There was a subtle prediction in there... :)

J.D.
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing this game go multiple OTs just so it can mess up charlie moore or whatever else nesn has scheduled. I remember pc beating bu in ot and uml winning at unh in game threes that were televised but in recent years, I don't think nesn has done it. So I'll give them some credit...hopefully they do it more going forward.

My money is on pc today...

chickod
03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing this game go multiple OTs just so it can mess up charlie moore or whatever else nesn has scheduled. I remember pc beating bu in ot and uml winning at unh in game threes that were televised but in recent years, I don't think nesn has done it. So I'll give them some credit...hopefully they do it more going forward.

My money is on pc today...

Yeah, not sure but it seemed as though this was scheduled "in advance," whereas in other years they may have done an occasional game 3 if it was compelling and if they didn't have a schedule conflict. I also think that's why the game is at 4:30. I say that because the Bruins were at 1:30 and the Red Sox are at 8:00.

Besides, don't you like fishing? :D

mookie1995
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
..... There are just so many permutations and factors involved that right now, I'm rooting for you guys to be tired for Friday night.

If this game runs until Thursday, well I don't think Mookie can watch the whole thing :D

freak
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
See I don't get this view. PC had something for which to play. UNH had all the excuses it needed to blow it, because they have that safety net. Plus... It's UNH. Should anybody expect any different?

unh1982
03-17-2013, 06:32 PM
See I don't get this view. PC had something for which to play. UNH had all the excuses it needed to blow it, because they have that safety net. Plus... It's UNH. Should anybody expect any different?

I was just figuring out how unh would give the game away.... now its got two weeks to prepare for JUST ONE MORE GAME and than " wait till next year "

Jon
03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
No one picked up on the They Might Be Giants lyric? We need to get CBG back on this board. Hopefully, we can get a rematch at some point, but PC has some work to do...

mikevike35
03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
one thing about following unh that makes it so interesting...they'll make the field of 16 for the national championship and yet feel like they've got longer odds than the other D1 programs that DIDN'T make the field. wait until next year? wait until next coach...

J.D.
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I hate to introduce some optimism into this thread for UNH, but losing to PC on the road in a close three game series when you're already guaranteed a spot in Manchester isn't exactly the end of the world. It's a good test in preparation for an NCAA game and you get to rest next weekend. Now, I'm not saying UNH will take advantage of it, but it could be a lot worse. You could be Maine.