Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH at PC for best two of three : If it wasn't for disappointments...

We were able to get some tickets for the Saturday game at 4, and will be driving down from NH. Can any PC fans point us to a decent place nearby that has good beer and food? Looking forward to seeing the game -- and hoping that both teams give their best efforts -- if so, it should be a good contest.
    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
      We were able to get some tickets for the Saturday game at 4, and will be driving down from NH. Can any PC fans point us to a decent place nearby that has good beer and food? Looking forward to seeing the game -- and hoping that both teams give their best efforts -- if so, it should be a good contest.
      yes best bet is on federal hill , great mafia hang out , lots of great restaurants , providence is notoriuos for its restaurants even better than what Boston has to offer ..... havent got my tickets yet , live in providence .....

Comment

federal hill about 2 miles away.than go to the foxy lady , even closer to the rink , on the way..

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
          yes best bet is on federal hill , great mafia hang out , lots of great restaurants , providence is notoriuos for its restaurants even better than what Boston has to offer ..... havent got my tickets yet , live in providence .....
          The UML fans last Saturday were smitten by the Abbey on Admiral street, past the arena.

I can't rate Tim and Bobby's pizza joint on Federal Hill enough. It's great. It's not huge and there can be a wait...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I see this series going three games. It is just too hard for any team to sweep an entire season and playoffs.
            Last edited by The Freds; 03-11-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

federal hill about 2 miles away.than go to the foxy lady , even closer to the rink , on the way..
              Foxy Lady, as in the strip club??? Yeah, not gonna work -- will be going with my 2 sons, my daughter-in-law, and my 4-year old grandson.
              The only "stripping" I want to see is any UNH player taking the puck away from Schallert (from nearby Merrimack, NH) or any other potential Friar scoring threat.

At least on Saturday. )
              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
              --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                The UML fans last Saturday were smitten by the Abbey on Admiral street, past the arena.

I can't rate Tim and Bobby's pizza joint on Federal Hill enough. It's great. It's not huge and there can be a wait...
                As to the latter, how can a place be great, yet not huge? I checked their web site: do they serve beer? If so, then may I assume their offerings are of the pedestrian bottled variety, with the usual Bud/Bud Light/Miller/Miller Light etc. choices?

The Abbey sounds interesting (by the way, Jon, if you travel to UNH on occasion to attend hockey games, I can recommend the Holy Grail in Epping (a restaurant and pub, and the site of a former Catholic church.) The food is OK, and they have a very good beer menu -- the only caveat being that Epping isn't exactly close to Rte. 95.
                ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

UNH , when there facing a must win game bet the house against them ..... If I dug deep and if certain stats were available going back ummmm 20 years willing to bet UNH is like 0-99 . Point being they never rise to the occasion. however, just when you throw in the towel like I have they surprise you . They were 0-2-1 against pc this year... Do I dare make a prediction . Will go three games much like the playoffs back in 1990 . Unh was down 2 goals with like 5 minutes left ( threw the towel in ) and Dan potter ( from RI ) threw the puck at the net from the point , the puck managed to take a few fortuitous bounces into the back of the net . Than a few moments later this time a blast from the same angle found the net unscathed. Unh went on to win in overtime. Did they go the Garden nope, measle epidemic forced all games at neutral sights , in this case UNH - BC , at Bc..
                  UNH had 3-1 lead with under a minute , gave up two goals on tip ins from the point off face offs and proceded to quickly lose in OT. to David emma ....ooops got side tracked .
                  Realistically speaking cant see Prov. going 4-0-1 against UNH , the teams are two evenly matched . Game three will be OT thriller crystal ball isnt clear to predict a winner . sorry going to have to wait .
                  '82, you should have checked my post below. A couple of factual errors in your reminisce. First, Danny Potter (from Chepachet RI) played for UNH in the early '80's. A 100+ point career scorer he was on the team that made the FF in 1982. A clever forward, probably one of the most forgotten top level forwards UNH has ever had. Second the third game of the series did not go to OT, it was won by UNH, 7-4, with the winning goal scored by Riel Bellegarde, a Umile recruit. That was a gritty team. They almost beat BC in the semis at Conte Forum, losing in OT after being up by two with about 4 minutes to play. That was Bob Kullen's last game as coach.

And since you're a STH since 1968, you have to agree that while things can be frustrating, it is enjoyable to go to the games. UNH is fading a bit now, but they won a lot of big games back 10 years ago or more. Had to have, unless you don't consider making it to the FF as ab accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    '82, you should have checked my post below. A couple of factual errors in your reminisce. First, Danny Potter (from Chepachet RI) played for UNH in the early '80's. A 100+ point career scorer he was on the team that made the FF in 1982. A clever forward, probably one of the most forgotten top level forwards UNH has ever had. Second the third game of the series did not go to OT, it was won by UNH, 7-4, with the winning goal scored by Riel Bellegarde, a Umile recruit. That was a gritty team. They almost beat BC in the semis at Conte Forum, losing in OT after being up by two with about 4 minutes to play. That was Bob Kullen's last game as coach.

And since you're a STH since 1968, you have to agree that while things can be frustrating, it is enjoyable to go to the games. UNH is fading a bit now, but they won a lot of big games back 10 years ago or more. Had to have, unless you don't consider making it to the FF as ab accomplishment.
                    On the phone but , went to all three games back than....

Comment

As to the latter, how can a place be great, yet not huge? I checked their web site: do they serve beer? If so, then may I assume their offerings are of the pedestrian bottled variety, with the usual Bud/Bud Light/Miller/Miller Light etc. choices?

The Abbey sounds interesting (by the way, Jon, if you travel to UNH on occasion to attend hockey games, I can recommend the Holy Grail in Epping (a restaurant and pub, and the site of a former Catholic church.) The food is OK, and they have a very good beer menu -- the only caveat being that Epping isn't exactly close to Rte. 95.
                      Admittedly, it has been a number of years since I was at the Abbey, but the food was good then and there was a good variety of beer. If you can hang in Providence after the game, then there are a ton of great restaurants not just on Federal Hill but downtown as well. Reservations and time are required for most of these places though.

If you have kids then check out Gregg's on North Main Street in Providence and Chelo's at the intersection of Smithfield Avenue and Silver Spring Street in Providence. They are two Rhode Island staples with good food and are noted for their desserts. These two are relatively close to each other, open in the afternoon, and maybe a 5-10 minute drive to the rink.
                      Last edited by The Freds; 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I have never been to Schneider for a game, but unfortunately I cannot make any of the games this weekend. Based on what I saw in the last PC-UNH game at the Whitt, I will be pleasantly surprised if the Cats can steal a game, and really surprised if they make it back to the Garden, in which case I would be there, of course.

Comment

hmmmm , will have to check on that final being 7-4 .... but do remember conte forum , was right behind the unh net , on the concourse walking out of the rink to beat the traffic .... so i stopped behind the net , and than the great atrocity accured with a minute left ...scored two goals with a pulled goalie .. and rest was history.

Comment

What I'm learning from this thread is regardless of where you are in the college hockey universe, hockey is a vengeful **** goddess of hate that seeks only to sap our enthusiasm and/or sanity. Good to know.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                            -Blackadder
                            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                            -Casablanca
                            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              What I'm learning from this thread is regardless of where you are in the college hockey universe, hockey is a vengeful **** goddess of hate that seeks only to sap our enthusiasm and/or sanity. Good to know.
                              Jon, that's been my philosophy with UNH for 40 years. The less you expect the less you will be disappointed.

Comment

Jon, that's been my philosophy with UNH for 40 years. The less you expect the less you will be disappointed.
                                thats why i cant lose this weekend , already written off unh , I think they can win but take the path of least resistance and use reverse psychology... works every time .....

Comment

Working...
                                X