Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

For the 23rd season, I will start this thread... He had no idea about the playoff implications of his team not playing defense for the 23rd season in a row?!?!?! Tim Whitehead, who came in on Shawn Walsh's coattails out-coached whistling-Dick? Its time to evaluate how much of the Umile-era is about facilities and the University, and not necessarily about our beloved coach. They want Jack Parker's head on Comm Ave, and he got them to a 3rd place finish...
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Don't think we can hang this latest disappointment on Richard..not all of it anyway.

The players put themselves in this spot....their effort in the first half (yes an over achievement) and their performance in the second half.

1) Desmith should have sat more games. Wyer is a good goalie and should have seen more time. I think he should have been in net for Saturday's
    game. While Desmith makes the tough saves look easy, he simply doesn't seem focused on the easy shots. That wrap around goal in Friday's game is the most recent example. After last night, Desmith looks like damaged goods...no confidence whatsoever between the pipes
    2) Poor effort and no physical play. In my mind only Willows and Goumas played with a sense of purpose and with an edge. Knodel showed a little life but only after scoring. Man, what I would give to have player like Joey Diamond on this team. Please find another Darryn Haydar for me next season Borek.
    3) How about going to the front of the net???? The box and 1 on the power play is so predictable. Move the puck, then when weak side skater movse to net, this signals the point to shoot the puck...only to have it land in the shin pads of the oncoming defenseman
    4) The Sunday Boston Globe finally had an College Hockey story, unfortunately it was about our demise. The headline," UNH can capitalize." Should read, "UNH can't finish!" They certainly didn't finish what they started in the first half this season. They didn't finish with their chances Friday night. More importantly, they didn't finish when they were in the driver's seat this weekend.

Not sure if the players have stopped playing for themselves or for their coach.

Comment

We'll never see him go - he does too good a job at getting money into the school and politicking the region. The great defensive play from earlier in the season, and even the bits of it we saw last year is all Tortorella. I'd like to see Dickie become more of a "Queen Mum," and let Torts take more of a de facto leadership role. Maybe he'd even talk to his team during those TV timeouts (gasp!). Maybe even send Borek out on full time recruiting, and get a fresh face to change up the offensive end of things? I don't have anything against Borek, but all of the new coaches in the conference and their success juxtaposed against the likes of Dickie and Jackie are showing that evolution is becoming more imperative.
      Last edited by Umileated; 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM.
      Hit Somebody!

Comment

Same story year in and year out. same result. it reads just like a mutual fund prospectus.past results are not indicative of future results... except in this case the results are predictable

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
          Same story year in and year out. same result. it reads just like a mutual fund prospectus.past results are not indicative of future results... except in this case the results are predictable
          Torts seems like he adds value; D has definitely been better. I am struggling with Borek; team has gone downhill since he got here, we don't seem to recruit any fast snipers anymore (this year's team seems like the slowest that I have ever seen at the Whit, and one of the most boring offensively), and the offense is predictable.

Time to make some changes.
          Go Cats
          Former HEA Champions

Comment

Re: past results/future performance.

No current UNH player has finished higher than 40th in USHL scoring. The highest ranked player is Goumas (40th), and not surprisingly, he leads UNH in scoring. (Of interest, Mike Vecchione is currently 14th in USHL scoring.)
            Only one has earned any sort of USHL honor (Brett Kostolansky, all-rookie team).

Greg Burke 256th in USHL scoring
            Brett Kostolansky 144th
            Scott Pavelski 80th
            Dalton Speelman 43d
            Kevin Goumas 40th
            Eric Knodel 127th
            Nick Sorkin 61st
            Justin Agosta 164th
            Jeff Silengo 164th
            Casey Thrush 82nd
            Jay Camper 198th
            Maxim Gaudreault 79th
            Jamie Hill 54th

The law of averages would dictate that in 4 years (160 USHL top-40 spots), and only 30 or so competitive DI teams, a team would have someone higher, but UNH managed not to.
            Only a crazy person would expect a team with that sort of talent procurement to be competitive in a major division.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              Re: past results/future performance.

No current UNH player has finished higher than 40th in USHL scoring. The highest ranked player is Goumas (40th), and not surprisingly, he leads UNH in scoring. (Of interest, Mike Vecchione is currently 14th in USHL scoring.)
              Only one has earned any sort of USHL honor (Brett Kostolansky, all-rookie team).

Greg Burke 256th in USHL scoring
              Brett Kostolansky 144th
              Scott Pavelski 80th
              Dalton Speelman 43d
              Kevin Goumas 40th
              Eric Knodel 127th
              Nick Sorkin 61st
              Justin Agosta 164th
              Jeff Silengo 164th
              Casey Thrush 82nd
              Jay Camper 198th
              Maxim Gaudreault 79th
              Jamie Hill 54th

The law of averages would dictate that in 4 years (160 USHL top-40 spots), and only 30 or so competitive DI teams, a team would have someone higher, but UNH managed not to.
              Only a crazy person would expect a team with that sort of talent procurement to be competitive in a major division.
              Watcher, I was hoping you would weigh in. We have had a few debates over the years about UNH recruiting and my take always has been that UNH is not in a position to get top tier recruits (save JVR) like the Minnesotas and BCs of the world. And my take is that is only going to get harder after the NCHC and the BTHC get going. However, I have always maintained that UNH could get that diamond in the rough, the player who would grow during his four years and be very productive by the time senior year rolled around. I think of guys like Saviano, Callendar, Butler, Thompson, all of whom you could see potential in but certainly not top tier players.

The problem is that now we aren't even getting those types. The last two senior classes have been abysmal. Guys like Borisenok last year and Block this year work very hard and occasionally exceed expectations but neither one, nor their classmates, are anyones idea of an All American. For next year I guess people will see Goumas with a chance to emulate Saviano but I'm not so sure. And the classes below. Those who follow the recruiting were extolling the virtues of Downing before he came but in two years I haven't seen much.

Although my untrained eye sees the same issue afflicting other HE schools (save BC), it's not supposed to be this way at UNH. It hasn't been in the past but it sure looks like it at least in the near future. My fear is we, like Maine, Vermont, Northeastern etc. will be destined to be a second tier school, winning occasionally but not consistently, kind of the way thing were in the early 90's. And that will create a snowball effect making it more difficult to recruit the players you need to succeed. Just one man's opinion.

Comment

My philosophy, though I have been wrong a lot.
                Kids to go the hot program on the rise. UNH is no longer a hot program. Hard to sell a 15 year old that the program is on the cusp and just needs one more component like him to be part of a championship. Simple as that.
                Second, even though it is difficult to overcome the malaise, there are lesser fixes that could help a bit. If you have a HC from a different generation (or two) than the recruit, it might behoove a program to have an assistant within 20 years of age of the recruit. That worked for NU when they got Gaudreau, Gillies, etc. away from the big guys with LaPlante/Albie O'Connell. Having three 50+ coaches isn't the best situation for convincing a 15 year old kid he can relate to and will have a mentor/ally on the staff. IMO, hiring another guy from his generation to replace Lassonde is just another sign of Umile's limitations (and to me, the last hope that Umile recognized the problems and could come up with a solution).

Umile has a lifetime contract. In time, Umile will leave, replaced by a young, energetic coach who will have a great base to build from (unlike Maine, for example). He will be able to sell a new era and vision, and likely will have a lot of success. Until that happens I suspect we will linger.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Having three 50+ coaches isn't the best situation for convincing a 15 year old kid he can relate to and will have a mentor/ally on the staff.
                  Or a 68+ year-old head coach...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Or a 68+ year-old head coach...
                    Not anymore.

Umile turns 65 in December. Can we rename the thread to "retire"? Before we fall too far behind David Quinn.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper603 View Post
                      Don't think we can hang this latest disappointment on Richard..not all of it anyway.

The players put themselves in this spot....their effort in the first half (yes an over achievement) and their performance in the second half.
                      Oui, it da playeurs. Pour zee twenty turd year in zee row it da playeurs.

Zose dam playeurs...

Comment

Umile has a lifetime contract. In time, Umile will leave, replaced by a young, energetic coach who will have a great base to build from (unlike Maine, for example). He will be able to sell a new era and vision, and likely will have a lot of success. Until that happens I suspect we will linger.
                        Linger ..... Synonyms: hang back, delay leaving, hang on, stay behind ….

Oh my ……..

Comment

I agree. You will never see Dick Umile get fired. He has done alot of good for UNH hockey and the University. I remember him as a player at UNH a tenacious forward who flew into the corners. Do you remember when
                          Brian McCloskey was the main recruiter? He attracted lots of talent to UNH. They do not have the fast forwards, team speed and the consistent style of play needed to be successful at the higher levels. When is the last
                          time you saw a D-man pin an opposing forward into the boards. Also, two of the Maine players literally walked in towards the goal and scored. Perhaps in the first half they exceeded their abilities? There does seem to
                          be a lack of team confidence, panic, communication and poor decision making. Unless there is a miraculous turnaround in play they will either lose in Providence or be predestined to an early exit in Manchester. What happened to
                          the team defense and the offense scoring more consistently. Final point, each year UNH has a break at Chrismas time which absolutely kills their focus.
                          Regardless, Here is hoping that somone in the locker room can generate some spark of enthusiasm. UNH Alum 71'
                          Last edited by unhgrad71; 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM. Reason: lines are split gramatically

Comment

Umile will go when Umile wants to go, for better or for worse. If there's a hockey coach the University should fire you are looking at the wrong program- it's on the women's side: they had never had a sub .500 season in their history, McCloskey has now led them to 3 straight. Scarano, in just his second year on the job, fired previous coach Karen Kay for less, .500 & .597 in her last two years, and Kay was four years removed from a national title & three years removed from nearly notching a second (lost in OT).
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Be careful what you wish for.....

Regression to the mean is the likely result.

Comment

Working...
                              X