X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
    Gary Wright -- AIC -- 28 yrs
    I'm not sure that bolsters Umile's case to stay at UNH all that much...

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
      Gary Wright -- AIC -- 28 yrs
      So I guess he's not really a "Dream Weaver," right?

Comment

can his ***!
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Assistant coach, maybe. He doesn't quite have the credentials to be a D-1 head coach.

My guess is that they would try to grab one of several other young UNH alums who are already in the collegiate coaching ranks....Souza, White, or Foley. Can't see Tortorella succeeding Umile. I agree with what others have said that they need to get a younger coach who can better relate to the players. Don't forget, Umile was like 42 or 43 when he was hired to take the UNH job "way back when".
          Agreed 100% that guys like Ciocco (and Brickley FWIW) just don't have enough experience at this point to step behind the bench in a lead role. Brickley I'm sure wouldn't be the least bit interested, with his current gig. He also hasn't coached at any recognizable level in the past, even if he were to be considered a candidate.

Jim Tortorella on the other hand is roughly the same age as Brickley (both are in their early 50's I believe?) and not only has already had a successful 16 year head coachnng career at Colby College, but also has significant experience (and presumably some very helpful and active ties) with USA Hockey. He is about 10 years younger than Coach Umile. Basically, he is roughly the same age now as Coach Umile was back during the UNH program's last two trips to the Frozen Four. I believe there is "plenty of tread left on those tires" IF the UNH job were to open up in the next year or two. Scott Borek is a few years younger than Tortorella, but other than a mediocre 5 year stint at Lake State, he's been a career assistant. I can't pretend to understand the chemistry and relationships involved, but at least from an outsider's perspective, Tortorella strikes me as the more probable, more viable of the two current assistants (IF either would ever be considered for the job - and I have to think Scarano would at least interview them both).

I'm all in favor of bringing in someone else like Foley, Souza, White and/or Ciocco (maybe even two of them?) as assistants. IF Tortorella, or someone like Tortorella got the job, that pool of potential assistants would have a great opportunity to build on their previous D-1 college experience as assistants with other programs, and maybe be the next in line when a coach in their late 40's/early 50's now (or soon) would be ready to call it a career, as they would be in their early 40's at that point.

It's funny how the passage of time changes these assessments. If this discussion had come up a decade ago - and I guess in more heated moments of debate it did - back then, the consensus leading candidate (by a landslide) as the next UNH head-coach-in-waiting was one Bruce Crowder. Last I heard, he was out of hockey and well-established in the private sector for going on 5-6+ years now since leaving NU. I was surprised to learn he is now older than anyone in this post, save for Coach Umile.

Or we can just go poach Jim Montgomery and send our Downeast neighbors into a cataclysmic meltdown of epic proportions ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Get a life!!!!!!!! bottom feeders!!!

Comment

The scum rises to the top, defying gravity........how do you scummers do it???

Comment

• Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                The scum rises to the top, defying gravity........how do you scummers do it???
                Not sure who you are addressing, but somebody had a lousy Easter. Relax my friend.

Comment

Seriously Fricker.....someone pee on your Peeps?
                  UNH

Comment

Hey guys, da truth hurts, eh?.......................getta life andgo hut clams.

Comment

I've never tried "hutting" clams. Please explain this concept.
                      UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                        Hey guys, da truth hurts, eh?.......................getta life andgo hut clams.
                        It seems you are the one with no life...and have a few more beers based on your post.
                        Last edited by scoreboard; 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Fricker's son played for Borek, so Chuck sipped him off with the "mediocre 5 years at Lake Superior" comment.

Tortorella will be 54 next September. For as good as his resume is, he should not be the HC. I even think hiring him as an assistant was a mistake IMHO. Having experienced coaches has not been the problem with the team lately, it is having talented players. Tortorella is not the recruiter, and so if anything ever changed with Borek, they are less able to go with an unproven recruiter like Ciocco (who would be excellent), even though I think he would do well.

I don't see any heir apparent, in large measure because the Umile "Coaching Tree" is pretty barren -- he just doesn't trust young associate coaches or volunteer assistants. So, while Walsh was bringing in 3rd volunteer coaches Dave Nonis, Bruce Crowder, Tim Whitehead, Nate Leaman, Greg Cronin, Guy Perron and using their energy and creativity, Umile's response is to draw the circle tighter, trust nobody except a group that looks like him and that he has known for at least 10 years. I'll let others draw the connection to coaching style and trusting the players in tight situations.

Edit: and to comment on the game, UNH was respectable, and this result in a single elimination tournament (as stupid as it is inviting 6 to 8 teams that shouldn't qualify and giving them a single game to beat a better team) should not weigh on where the program is. The Union Leader was right... "Be careful what you wish for" because things could get worse. That is a risk, but sometimes you have to take a risk to make a gain. It's a good set up, so the odds are in our favor, but if they hire a Bobby Valentine, things could get worse.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Fricker's son played for Borek, so Chuck sipped him off with the "mediocre 5 years at Lake Superior" comment.

Tortorella will be 54 next September. For as good as his resume is, he should not be the HC. I even think hiring him as an assistant was a mistake IMHO. Having experienced coaches has not been the problem with the team lately, it is having talented players. Tortorella is not the recruiter, and so if anything ever changed with Borek, they are less able to go with an unproven recruiter like Ciocco (who would be excellent), even though I think he would do well.

I don't see any heir apparent, in large measure because the Umile "Coaching Tree" is pretty barren -- he just doesn't trust young associate coaches or volunteer assistants. So, while Walsh was bringing in 3rd volunteer coaches Dave Nonis, Bruce Crowder, Tim Whitehead, Nate Leaman, Greg Cronin, Guy Perron and using their energy and creativity, Umile's response is to draw the circle tighter, trust nobody except a group that looks like him and that he has known for at least 10 years. I'll let others draw the connection to coaching style and trusting the players in tight situations.

Edit: and to comment on the game, UNH was respectable, and this result in a single elimination tournament (as stupid as it is inviting 6 to 8 teams that shouldn't qualify and giving them a single game to beat a better team) should not weigh on where the program is. The Union Leader was right... "Be careful what you wish for" because things could get worse. That is a risk, but sometimes you have to take a risk to make a gain. It's a good set up, so the odds are in our favor, but if they hire a Bobby Valentine, things could get worse.
                            Watcher, I like your insight and wish you would post more.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              I'd almost forgotten how these boards can work sometimes. I could tell some amazing stories about reactions some of my old posts "back in the day" produced, topped off by an unexpected call direct to my home one morning by a former HE head coach (BTW not Walshy) who shall remain nameless. Thanks for filling in the blanks, 'Watcher.

That's quite an indictment there at the end ... and unfortunately, it seems to ring all too true. I still wouldn't rule out Tortorella, but if by any chance either he OR Borek got the HC job, I'm guessing there would be a pretty high likelihood the other would eventually move on somewhere else? Could Bavis from BU possibly be lured up to UNH as HC?

The Union Leader was right... "Be careful what you wish for" because things could get worse. That is a risk, but sometimes you have to take a risk to make a gain. It's a good set up, so the odds are in our favor, but if they hire a Bobby Valentine, things could get worse.
                              So I take it you didn't like my suggestion of Jimmy Montgomery then??
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Scott..............sorry for the typo, I meant to say "clamming" and it almost came out "hunting clams".

Scoreboard........FYI, not everyone escapes reality by crawling into a bottle.

NCAA watcher..........Believe it or not, Matt chose Lake State first for it's Criminal Justicemajor, hockey second, a decison that actually hurt his NHL draft status. Hsd he gone to UNH and played on the Olympic
                                sheet where his superior skating skills stood out or Michigan, where he was rumored to be headed ever since he made Team USA, either would have boosted his draft prospects. Now that the dust has cleared,
                                he made a good decision.

Backto UNH, IMO Umile can retire whenever he wants to, kinda like Charlie Holt, and don't forget about Brian McCloskey with the UNH women's program and DaveLassonde who is at Denver, both very capable coaches!

Comment

Working...
                                X