PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

goblue
03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
I for one would not be surprised to see Coach Umile step down (of his own accord) if not at the end of this season, then possibly after next season. JMHO.
The same thought occurred to me just after Jack Parker announced his retirement. Why is he still coaching? I suspect it's not the money, but the brass ring that he has come so close to grasping to no avail. That said, most jobs don't get easier as one gets older, and the prospect of a long and comfortable retirement becomes increasingly favorable.

Umile has to have been thinking all season that if ever there were a year that UNH could win it all, this may be (or have been) the one. Given BC's slight downturn, BU's and Maine's struggles, the fact that several of the "bottom six" teams are very young, coupled with UNH's good start and (what should have been) an easy late season schedule for the 'Cats, I'd bet he was thinking that UNH would easily find its way to the top of HE for the regular season, and a string of victories would propel them to the HE championship, and then to Manchester, and perhaps on to Pittsburgh. I'd say that's why so many of us UNH fans felt confident that maybe we could get back to the FF this year -- most everything was lined up to help that happen (except the lineup, apparently.)

If UNH indeed loses in Manchester, then it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement -- this year or next. Will Whitehead's fate play into the decision, as there will be one confirmed vacancy in the HE coaching ranks at the end of BU's season?

unh1982
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
chuck, i think the league gets most of the gate, if not all of it, for the qfs since it is part of the league tournament.

Anway, there is a counterpoint here. Dick umile not winning championships saves unh some money as well. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to put on a championship celebration with a police detail, security, etc? Not to mention that umile is saving the school a lot of money by keeping them from having to construct a trophy case. Then you have to consider the money they would lose inevitably with all those championship shirts that get printed and then put on massive clearance after the excess batch sits on shelves for a long time.

If he could just get them back to being a fun team to watch with some talent (krog... Sorta), he could fill up a lot of the seats and get some of the money back and have unh right in the sweet spot of not having to spend all that money that comes with winning a championship. Just like the good old days when wis stories were being churned out and ta jen would go nuts over anything you typed even if it looked like this "asdfj;kjq;lwkejf;alsdkfalsdjkf".

love it , we could also save lots by shuting down the whitt early, just think of the money they could save . They could practice outside where they once did decades ago . Just think of the man hrs and electricity to keep the whitt operational. This could be done every year , we could institute a deadline each year when rink closes ( two weeks before hockey east championchips).

all bear
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
The same thought occurred to me just after Jack Parker announced his retirement. Why is he still coaching? I suspect it's not the money, but the brass ring that he has come so close to grasping to no avail. That said, most jobs don't get easier as one gets older, and the prospect of a long and comfortable retirement becomes increasingly favorable.

Umile has to have been thinking all season that if ever there were a year that UNH could win it all, this may be (or have been) the one. Given BC's slight downturn, BU's and Maine's struggles, the fact that several of the "bottom six" teams are very young, coupled with UNH's good start and (what should have been) an easy late season schedule for the 'Cats, I'd bet he was thinking that UNH would easily find its way to the top of HE for the regular season, and a string of victories would propel them to the HE championship, and then to Manchester, and perhaps on to Pittsburgh. I'd say that's why so many of us UNH fans felt confident that maybe we could get back to the FF this year -- most everything was lined up to help that happen (except the lineup, apparently.)

If UNH indeed loses in Manchester, then it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement -- this year or next. Will Whitehead's fate play into the decision, as there will be one confirmed vacancy in the HE coaching ranks at the end of BU's season?

I think there will be a rash of coaching vacancies in a relatively short period of time. And all from the "Big 4" schools. Im guessing in 2 years the big 4 will have 4 new coaches. Write it down , you heard it here first.

Chuck Murray
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Anway, there is a counterpoint here. Dick Umile not winning championships saves UNH some money as well. Do you have any idea how much money it costs to put on a championship celebration with a police detail, security, etc? Not to mention that Umile is saving the school a lot of money by keeping them from having to construct a trophy case. Then you have to consider the money they would lose inevitably with all those championship shirts that get printed and then put on massive clearance after the excess batch sits on shelves for a long time.

There IS a trophy case, but it looks like someone bought it at an IKEA or something. :D

If he could just get them back to being a fun team to watch with some talent (Krog... sorta), he could fill up a lot of the seats and get some of the money back and have UNH right in the sweet spot of not having to spend all that money that comes with winning a championship. Just like the good old days when WIS stories were being churned out and TA Jen would go nuts over anything you typed even if it looked like this "asdfj;kjq;lwkejf;alsdkfalsdjkf".

Hey, that was some of my best work - no need to be jealous!!!!!! :) pwrr gzzzzzi rotflmfao pbbbbt :D :p

Aerman
03-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Dries' penalty came late in the 2nd OT and led to the game-winner, not the tying goal. Well Dries' penalty was stupid and definitely a penalty, it came not long after the officials decided to let the boys play in front of the BC net...

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080321/SPORTS/80321072/-1/rss02&Template=photos

Thanks for correction. It all gets blurrier and blurrier ever faster in my rear-view mirror. :eek:

As for the pic, I suppose Danny was lucky not to get called for an embellishment penalty. :D

FRICKER
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
scoreboard................it is what it is - any port in a storm - you can't cry over spilled milk - etc. etc. etc.

skyraider0609
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Alright, here's a question just for entertainment value only. Assuming that someday Richard decides to retire and go play golf with Jack Parker, spend time with his grand kids, travel, or whatever, who would you like to see take over the role of head coach? Someone associated with the program right now? Tortorella? Borek? Or someone that brings in new blood. Maybe a former UNH player? Any thoughts? It's fantasy coach hiring so let 'er rip....

I know this is nuts because he'd take a big paycut I'm sure and he's got a great gig already, but one Andy Brickley would look great behind the bench at the Whitt. Like I said, this is from the land of unicorns and candy rainbows, so let yourself float on a cotton candy cloud and put forth. Discuss....

Umileated
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Alright, here's a question just for entertainment value only. Assuming that someday Richard decides to retire and go play golf with Jack Parker, spend time with his grand kids, travel, or whatever, who would you like to see take over the role of head coach? Someone associated with the program right now? Tortorella? Borek? Or someone that brings in new blood. Maybe a former UNH player? Any thoughts? It's fantasy coach hiring so let 'er rip....

I know this is nuts because he'd take a big paycut I'm sure and he's got a great gig already, but one Andy Brickley would look great behind the bench at the Whitt. Like I said, this is from the land of unicorns and candy rainbows, so let yourself float on a cotton candy cloud and put forth. Discuss....

Who was the former player that NESN had as a talking head last season? I recall he was coaching prep hockey, and we all speculated as to his aptitude.

Felger
03-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Jim Montgomery

WildShawn
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Who was the former player that NESN had as a talking head last season? I recall he was coaching prep hockey, and we all speculated as to his aptitude.

Josh Ciocco did some stuff with nesn, and I think he was also coaching at a local high school...

skyraider0609
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Was that Josh Ciocco?

Felger
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Even though its been several years since he played at UNH, the "joshsniffing" continues...

sonar
03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
One thing "we" do not need is a hand picked (by Umile) replacement. One other thing "we" do not need is a former player .... although I could get almost excited by someone like Krog. Give me brains and hockey experience over coaching experience .... not to speak of connections with the world of British Columbia hockey.
But then who knows about these things ................

UNH09
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM

I'd love to see Pat Foley come back.

Wildcat13
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Josh Ciocco

Umileated
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Jack Edwards.

NCAAfan500
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Tom Caron.

snively
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Brown 4 Quinnipiac 0 doesn't impress me. Still in the pre-tadpole stage as underachievers. Watch and learn.

Felger
03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Brown 4 Quinnipiac 0 doesn't impress me. Still in the pre-tadpole stage as underachievers. Watch and learn.

Dont forget Brown has a pair of former Cats behind the bench, so lets give Souza and White some credit...

Could we see a Quinnipiac-UNH Regional final next week?

snively
03-22-2013, 07:37 PM
No problem with Brown winning per se -- good for them. The Quinnipiac folks on their own thread say they clearly mailed it in today.

Happily, if you look at the crowd shots, no-one saw it.