St. Norbert offseason - moving down a letter in the alphabet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Norbert offseason - moving down a letter in the alphabet

Well, it's a week earlier than we wanted, but the offseason is here.

Again, congrats to the 2012-13 team on another great season and another Peters Cup.

And it's on the MCHA:

* We lose the regular rivalries with the state schools.

* We go from one conference road of 2 hours or less (UWSP) to four: Lawrence, Marian, Concordia and MSOE.

* The postseason goal is now the Harris Cup.

* I'm guessing the Peters Cup becomes the MCHA regular season trophy. but we'll see.

* And, at some point, the streak of never losing to an MCHA team will end. I wonder how big of a deal will be made of that. It's a lot different, IMO, when it's a conference game than a non-con. Not that SNC didn't have a target on its back before, but when a game doesn't count in the standings I think it's approached differently. But I can't imagine an expectation that SNC runs the table. At least not by me.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: St. Norbert offseason - moving down a letter in the alphabet

Tough loss last night but I thought it was a terrific hockey game. And a terrific season and congratulations to the team for all they accomplished.
    Which goes for the SNC women too. I watched their game vs Plattsburgh Sat afternoon and the Cardinals are good. But the SNC women played well and I thought they controlled the tempo of the game.

There are a lot of NCHA memories and it is hard to believe there won't be any new ones going forward. But there will be new rivalries and new friends with the move to the MCHA(already have a bit of rivalry with Adrian College I think) and that is one that will hopefully grow. And St. Scholastica will be there to continue those games.

Never thought about the closer road games--hopefully that means more SNC fans at those away games.

I'll be interested in the non-conference schedule and wondering how many WIAC foes SNC will play next season?
    "You can always get someone to do your thinking for you."

—Gordie Howe after being asked why players always wear a cup, but not always a helmet

Comment

Originally posted by Checking Line View Post
      Tough loss last night but I thought it was a terrific hockey game. And a terrific season and congratulations to the team for all they accomplished.
      Which goes for the SNC women too. I watched their game vs Plattsburgh Sat afternoon and the Cardinals are good. But the SNC women played well and I thought they controlled the tempo of the game.

There are a lot of NCHA memories and it is hard to believe there won't be any new ones going forward. But there will be new rivalries and new friends with the move to the MCHA(already have a bit of rivalry with Adrian College I think) and that is one that will hopefully grow. And St. Scholastica will be there to continue those games.

Never thought about the closer road games--hopefully that means more SNC fans at those away games.

I'll be interested in the non-conference schedule and wondering how many WIAC foes SNC will play next season?

Can't speak for the men's game, but a VERY IMPRESSIVE (given the distance) turnout of SNC fans at the Women's game in Plattsburgh - I'd think somewhere between 30 and 50. Mostly family and close friends, but impressive nevertheless. I spoke to a few who said driving 5 - 8 hours in from Ontario was closer than to De Pere, but also spoke to some who drove over 13 hours from Chicago. It was nice to see.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The SNC SID has informed that it is likely that SNC & UWEC will play a home/home series next season.
        I got to believe that there will be a couple more games with a few other WIAC schools....couple with MIAC teams, non conference opener vs a MCHA opponent and 18 MCHA league games.
        Last edited by pete99race; 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM.
        SNC Men:
        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
        SNC Women:
        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Thanks Pete. My interest was from a strength of schedule standpoint.

It is way too early to predict of course but I guess I was wondering if one could see a scenario where a 2nd bid out of the MCHA to the NCAA championships would mean strength of schedule would be very important? One would think WIAC schools on the schedule would help there especially with some wins against those opponents?

—Gordie Howe after being asked why players always wear a cup, but not always a helmet

Comment

Thanks Pete. My interest was from a strength of schedule standpoint.

It is way too early to predict of course but I guess I was wondering if one could see a scenario where a 2nd bid out of the MCHA to the NCAA championships would mean strength of schedule would be very important? One would think WIAC schools on the schedule would help there especially with some wins against those opponents?
            20 wins... IMO SoS doesn't matter like people like to pretend it does. If a team has 20 wins and loses in the playoff championship (for the AQ) then absolutely there will be 2 teams out of the MCHA. If however there is a team with 19 wins (look at all of the teams this year with 19 that missed) and they don't earn their AQ then more than likely not. IMO the addition of St. Norbert and St. Scholastica is going to haunt the existing members of the MCHA for many years to come. At the same time there's a great chance that losing the AQ is going to haunt the WIAC teams just as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Blugold Hockey View Post
              20 wins... IMO SoS doesn't matter like people like to pretend it does. If a team has 20 wins and loses in the playoff championship (for the AQ) then absolutely there will be 2 teams out of the MCHA.
              I think some Adrian fans might disagree with you there. Two years with 26 and 27 wins (27-1-1 the second year!), and they WON the league title (before the MCHA had the AQ), and were left out because of SOS. Therefore, you're "20 win" argument contradicts precedent.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Also Ask castleton What 20+ Wins Got Then A Few Years Ago..
                Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Having St. Norbert and CSS will help the SOS of the current teams in the MCHA, but it will lower theirs alot compared to what they had in the NCHA. Just look at MSOE last year, 2nd place in the league but a SOS in the 50's. It will be interesting to see if the WIAC schools can get the Pool B bid, afterall the NCHA wasn't just St. Norbert and CSS, they still have teams that can beat anyone at anytime, not alot of conferences can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    I think some Adrian fans might disagree with you there. Two years with 26 and 27 wins (27-1-1 the second year!), and they WON the league title (before the MCHA had the AQ), and were left out because of SOS. Therefore, you're "20 win" argument contradicts precedent.
                    Oz / Cards, two more excellent examples of what the committee wants it gets. I guess I'm not a huge believer about the SoS metric because if it was something that was extremely important I think the brackets would have looked different this year. I guess I was throwing my opinion out there on what it will take for the MCHA to get two bids. IMO it will take an MCHA team that does not earn the AQ to have at least 20 wins. SoS will go up for the MCHA (but with all of the MCHA playing a tougher schedule, so will their losses to non-conference teams); because I think the West is about to see more MCHA, MIAC, and WIAC organized non-conference action than it has ever seen before. Does that mean it's a lock they get in with 20 wins and they don't take a MIAC or WIAC team with 18? Well I'm guessing it will only be a matter of time before we will get to find out.

Comment

It's my understanding the new improved MCHA will have an 18 rather than 20 game conference schedule.
                      This should enable teams from all Western conferences to build schedules that enhance respective SOS's.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        Agreed. Adrian is exactly who I was thinking of as well. I sense sometimes there is a comparison of the NCAA basketball tourney to hockey and they aren't the same--a 20 win hockey season guarantees nothing IMO without some quality opponents (SOS) in the mix--and even then there are no assurances of a bid. Not to mention the fact I think there has to be a "tourney readiness" mentality that you get by playing other quality teams (SOS).

Comment

Agreed. Adrian is exactly who I was thinking of as well. I sense sometimes there is a comparison of the NCAA basketball tourney to hockey and they aren't the same--a 20 win hockey season guarantees nothing IMO without some quality opponents (SOS) in the mix--and even then there are no assurances of a bid. Not to mention the fact I think there has to be a "tourney readiness" mentality that you get by playing other quality teams (SOS).
                          Don't forget also that there are only 3 spots for teams who don't win their conference championships, whereas in DI basketball, it seems like everybody gets to play unless you come from a minor conference (let's call a spade a spade --> "mid-major" = minor)
                          Last edited by NUProf; 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Report from GB Press Gazette....interesting hint at a name change for the conference?? maybe NCHA??
                            http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...ove-new-league
                            Another discussion point for upcoming April meeting: Finalize conference playoff schedule procedures..
                            Last edited by pete99race; 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM.
                            SNC Men:
                            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                            SNC Women:
                            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                              Report from GB Press Gazette....interesting hint at a name change for the conference?? maybe NCHA??
                              Presumably since in MCHA schools' women's teams have been playing in the women's NCHA, and since SNC and STS are the sole surviving Men's NCHA, it wouldn't be a stretch to change the name to NCHA, although the other option would be to rename the Women's league the MCHA, because the teams in that league all have their men's program in the MCHA. If fact, the term MCHA is more geographically accurate, since every team except St. Scholastica is East of the Mississippi River, and most people regard that as the demarcation line between the East and West in the U. S. (Although, certainly all of the teams are in the Northern part of the U. S. ) I know I'm old fashioned, and think regional names should reflect the actual regions, and conferences with number in their names should have that number of teams.
                              Last edited by NUProf; 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X