Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI 2013 Part V: Who Wants Screech?

Long time RPI fans will get this one.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Re: RPI 2013 Part V: Who Wants Screech?

It gets my vote. Now let's play long enough to get to part VI
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Previous Thread: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Not-A-Finished-Product-Yet
      Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        Long time RPI fans will get this one.
        Saved by the Bell?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I checked the WaP (realet) picks. We agreed on almost all. I'd like to study the ones where we didn't.

The first is Dartmouth-Harvard. I picked Dartmouth because of the damage they can cause to other teams that are near-contenders. If Dartmouth wins two, they move up the ranks and sit right behind RPI. But they take a matchup from Union, Wisconsin, and Providence in order to get there, thus setting those back. On the contrary, if Dartmouth loses two, then BU, Alaska, and Robert Morris gain one matchup each, by taking them from Dartmouth. I would say that Dartmouth's gains are the lesser evil as compared to those other six inching up. All things equal, I'd rather see lower teams move ahead of higher teams in the 17-30 range, nullifying each others' gains on RPI.

Further, two Dartmouth losses actually deducts 0.0005 from Brown's RPI. We want Brown to get all the help they can - every bit counts.

I know you were looking farther out at a Union matchup (where Union could score some TUC wins against Da) and even into NCAA travel. Even with those, I'm still thinking we root for Dartmouth. What do you think?
          Last edited by RPI92; 03-06-2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Next is BC vs UVM. WaP picked UVM for an upset. I picked BC to help ensure that Providence does not win the HEA, which is admittedly a minor benefit. However, if UVM sweeps BC then both Niagara and Notre Dame flip their matchups with BC. The BC flip puts each of them a little more ahead of us. I'm sure I'm missing some nuance to this, but on its face it looks like we want BC.
            Last edited by RPI92; 03-06-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

The last was WaP rooting for Michigan Tech upsetting Colorado College. Two losses would drop CC as a TUC. As a result, Alaska and Dartmouth would each gain one matchup point against RPI, and Wisconsin would gain two. The biggest loser would be St. Cloud, dropping two and possibly coming into reach if RPI keeps climbing. Tough call, and depends on how St Cloud fares against Wisconsin, and how far RPI goes. I think I'll root for a total Badger beatdown, meaning CC and St Cloud wins.

Comment

RPI92,
                You've succeeeded in giving me a headache. Seriously, after a few minutes of looking at things, I decided to wait to see if realet responds. The probably answer is that there there are some scenarios that help us in some ways and hurt us in others, and it depends upon what is the most important. Is it, for example, more important to defend our current position or increase our chances of moving up?
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-06-2013, 04:01 AM. Reason: typos
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  RPI92,
                  You've succeeeded in giving me a headache.
                  Sorry, as an RPI grad, no amount of pedantic analysis can satisfy me. I was never more proud of my alma mater as in 2011 when we computed the precise odds of making the tournament with at least 2 weeks still to go.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Is it, for example, more important to defend our current position or increase our chances of moving up?
                  Now that is a great question. In a situation like this, I prefer to select a rank to optimize for. Based on some poor showings outside the conference I suggest mentally calibrating to try to pick up at most three more places and lose no more than one.

If RPI places first, second, third in the tournament (1 loss), I would like to have a shot to pass any or all of: Yale, Notre Dame, Western Mich, or Niagara if they falter.

If RPI places fourth (two losses) or splits and wins or loses the first series then I want to hold 15-16th if that's at all possible. It might not be, but that won't change my thinking this weekend.

What nets out is that I wind up rooting against every team in the range between say #11-#26 this weekend, and #11-#18 most acutely. I'm indifferent to #1-10 and #27+ so I look at any scenario only in terms of how it would harm teams in the target range.

Comment

Ed Weaver looks at +/- http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
                      Sorry, as an RPI grad, no amount of pedantic analysis can satisfy me. I was never more proud of my alma mater as in 2011 when we computed the precise odds of making the tournament with at least 2 weeks still to go.
                      I understand completely. Please note the smiley.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Rather than get into a lengthy and minute discussion, I'm just going to say... John 19:22.
                        Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Aspydad
                          I don't know... maybe how glad they are to see the end of the Paul Stewart era? Just speculation.

He is back just like Jordan wearing the 45 although Jordan was retired for more than a year the first time around. Nice try though buddy but I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away.
                          Last edited by Stay@homeDad; 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                            Aspydad
                            I don't know... maybe how glad they are to see the end of the Paul Stewart era? Just speculation.

He is back just like Jordan wearing the 45 although Jordan was retired for more than a year the first time around. Nice try though buddy but I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away.
                            Or perhaps Coach was asking about Kyle Flanagan. Given there wasn't too much animosity (at least that could be seen), I'm not sure if it would even be anything bad.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                              Rather than get into a lengthy and minute discussion, I'm just going to say... John 19:22.
                              Who he is he playing this weekend? And if he wins does he become a TUC?
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                              X