No announcement yet.

RPI 2013 Part V: Who Wants Screech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013 Part V: Who Wants Screech?

On the bracketology thread from 10,000 Monte Carlo simulations, Patman has predicted we have an 8.37% chance of making it. He has assumed that every game outcome is equally likely.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I would like to thank this team for an exciting season. Whether they get to play any more or not.
      Last night they played their hearts out, but dug a hole to deep to get out of.
      Two bad mistakes. Kasdorf lets in his only bad goal of the season to start the scoring. Then Curadi gets his pass picked off behind the net that leads to the second goal. And a perfectly executed three on two puts us three behind.
      Give Brown some credit, we threw everything at them and they were able to hang on.
      No excuses, we played our game and came up short.
      Still a great team effort and something to look forward to for next year.
      I just hate to see Bailen go out without a chance to play in what is probably his last game as an Engineer.
      Thanks for a great 2013.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Refs clearly show their ivy league bias once again
        Keep up this line of thinking long enough and you're looking more and more like someone who applied to some ivy league schools and is resentful for not being accepted.

I'm only typing like this because I'm ready to throw the computer across the room
        Perhaps throwing your computer across the room would do you some good. I hear physical activity is good for stress relief.

And no, a 2.5 hour drive did NOT help...
        Would a cookie help?

Comment

Odd season-can point to a lot of things that caused us to be in the position we find ourselves. Union games of course (late call by Kotyra a killer), BU, Minnesota state third periods, giving up that 5 on 3 short hander to QU late. But the overall picture I have to take away is just how good this team is forming up. Do we deserve to be an NCAA tournament team this year? Who knows?-Turn around any of the things i mentioned above and we are in-but maybe we do not deserve to be a top 16 team just yet. Sometimes you have to go through something like this to mature a bit. I am older than many of you guys-I saw the absolute most fearsome hockey team I thought i would ever see in 1983-84. They rolled over everyone. They made it look easy. But they ran into an NDak team that just played 2 games doing what they had to do while their goaltender just played like no one i had ever seen. If you think we had opportunites last night against Brown-quadruple that-and you had us agains NDak in 1984. Jon Casey just flat out stole the series and beat us. But as heartbroken as i was (and i am sure every team member was) the thought had crossed my mind that maybe we were just that much short of being the best around. The following year-we made it all come true. But, it took a lot of things to do it including some big time luck. If you can, watch the NCAA semifinal and see if you really think we should have won. Did we get the benefit of an extra penalty call in OT? Were we fortunate to score the goal to tie in regulation? And then of course, see if George was really onside againt Providence for the final goal in the final.

I suppose i am saying that maybe this year we are getting real close-let's use that for next year. We keep virtually our entire offense (we lose our top scoring defenseman and the next 8 scorers are all underclassmen). We keep our goaltending and the rest of our defense. Hopefully, we keep our coach (that one is for you Aspy). This is a very good team with the potential to be a lot better. We have an incoming class that should add more depth and speed. We get back Matt tinordi and Schroeder (and i think those losses were significant). I think we have a lot to look forward to and should be challenging as a top team now for some time to come. Go Red!! And thanks for an exciting season.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Volbeat16 View Post
            I'm still surprised Brown's Captain was allowed to play today. He injured our best D-Men and top playmaker and get's to play the following night? Ridiculous. I had to witness what happened and it was blatant kneeing as he wasn't making a turn or anything. Luckily Bails is walking, but there is probably no way that if we do make the tournament that he will be able to play. And that man, Robertson, was on ice for all three of Brown's goals and got an assist on the first goal. Disgraceful. Oh well, Borelli brought his A-game tonight and didn't let anything easy through as RPI brought their A-game as well. Unfortunately, Kasdorf didn't and it cost us in the end. While the second goal was arguable, the other two should not have happened. No rebound control tonight and he couldn't glove the puck properly either. Probably due to nerves, but he was not playing like we are used to seeing him play. Whether we will see more of the Engineers this year or not, it has been a great run. Let's Go Red!
            Given some of the people that have previously been the Brown's Captain, would you expect anything else.

As to RPI's end of the playoff series, perhaps its time for the Coach to look at a different approach for home playoff series. It seems almost like he is unable to keep them as focused on the game during a home series, maybe they should treat it like an away playoff. Take the team over to Latham or up the Clifton Park and stay in a hotel, rent time at local rink not in Troy for practice skates Fri/Sat/Sun and have them focused just on hockey like they would be if they were on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by pensfan08 View Post
              Given some of the people that have previously been the Brown's Captain, would you expect anything else.

As to RPI's end of the playoff series, perhaps its time for the Coach to look at a different approach for home playoff series. It seems almost like he is unable to keep them as focused on the game during a home series, maybe they should treat it like an away playoff. Take the team over to Latham or up the Clifton Park and stay in a hotel, rent time at local rink not in Troy for practice skates Fri/Sat/Sun and have them focused just on hockey like they would be if they were on the road.
              That would have been a good strategy for last year. We didn't have any issues with playing at home in 2013 until this past weekend.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we're just plain cursed when it comes to the ECAC. I'm just glad that Coach doesn't have the team play for ECAC championships, but rather national championships.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI92 View Post
                Looks like the cheering instructions for the weekend are:
                - All favorites, except
                - OSU over Notre Dame. An OSU win drops Nt below RPI in most scenarios, making up for the chance they might win the tourney
                - Mk over Wisconsin. If Wisconsin gets two wins, we're probably toast. So nip it in the bud.
                - I found a couple scenarios where Colorado College winning is better than losing. I'm tempted to pick CC and let a WCHA powerhouse knock them out.
                - Brown over Union for 3rd place

The weird one is Mercyhurst over UConn. It pushes UConn over the cliff and vaults Robert Morris(!) way up. It's definitely weird and probably bad, so stick with UConn. Anyone else see anything notable?
                This is close to being right. Definitely looking for a pair of Union losses in AC, or at least a loss to Yale and a tie in the consolation game. And we're rooting for higher seeds almost across the board, which is not a bad spot to be in.

The OSU-ND game is a little bit dicey. Could go either way on that, Notre Dame would drop anyway as long as Miami beats Michigan (and eliminates the Wolverines as a TUC). Under the best conditions, RPI can get away with having an upset tournament winner (13th being a possibility means they could make the tournament even with as many as 3 upsets out of 5), but Miami/Notre Dame would pretty much guarantee that wouldn't happen.

Colorado College beating North Dakota means you're losing a bit of insurance in a league where there are a number of options that wouldn't be considered upset winners.

Also, I'd take Mercyhurst over UConn, only because I have yet to find a scenario where Robert Morris makes the tournament at RPI's expense, and Mercyhurst was an opponent this year (their wins provide more of an RPI boost).

FWIW, the "non-upset" tournament champions are as follows:
                AHA: Niagara
                CCHA: Miami or Notre Dame
                ECAC: Quinnipiac or Yale
                HEA: UMass-Lowell or Boston College
                WCHA: St. Cloud State, Minnesota, North Dakota, or Minnesota State.

Basically, rooting for these teams wherever possible, plus a few other things elsewhere (with the noted possible exception of Notre Dame). Yale, Lowell, and BC are especially important, given the teams they are playing next. Minnesota State winning would be very nice, too.

As an aside, Brown winning the ECAC tournament would wreck the entire bracket pretty good, owing to the fact that they are hosting the Providence regional.
                Last edited by realet; 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM.
                Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  That would have been a good strategy for last year. We didn't have any issues with playing at home in 2013 until this past weekend.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we're just plain cursed when it comes to the ECAC. I'm just glad that Coach doesn't have the team play for ECAC championships, but rather national championships.
                  I'm just talking about the playoffs, from the outside looking in it seems like the extra pressure is too much for the team if the coach is unable to keep locked away from outside distractions.
                  Maybe the team needs to find a way to get back to playing 2-3 tournaments during a season to get used to lose and you're out situations and not be bothered by the pressure.

Comment

Bad day for the hospitality industry, as far more reservations are cancelled than are made.....

let's hope it's a learning progression as this year's underclassmen use this year's first-hand experience of playoff pressure to play like more seasoned veterans next year.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Of course, with the intent to injure on Robertson to Bailen, the refs were going to call 2, but only changed it to 5 out of fear of their own personal safety.

Not to mention, here's a rule that should have been enforced properly last night:
                      Originally posted by Rule 67.2 page 59
                      Net Dislodgement - A player, including the goalkeeper, shall not delay the
                      game by deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position. The
                      referee shall stop play when a goal post has been displaced.
                      Note: If the non-offending team has an offensive opportunity and its
                      defensive goal cage has been displaced, play shall be allowed to continue
                      until the scoring chance is complete.
                      PENALTY—Minor. With less than two minutes remaining in
                      regulation time or any time during overtime, penalty shot/optional
                      minor.
                      If this illegal act prevents an obvious and imminent goal at any
                      time during the game, a goal shall be awarded.
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Wow, all this hate. Put it this way. This disappointing feeling, although sucks, is actually sort of a good thing. It means RPI fans had something to cheer for all season, much different than in the lean years when the team had no expectations and ANY playoff win was icing on the cake. This team is going to be fun to watch in the upcoming years. In the end, they didn't get the job done, I;m sure that doesn't sit well with Seth, the players, the parents, and certainly the fans. No use getting the panties in a bunch, there is nothing that we, as fans and followers of the team, can do. Let the haters hate, it just goes to show that they have nothing better to do. Enjoy the season the was, rather than wallow in the season that could have been. I for one am happy that I get to watch, and broadcast, for this team (almost) every weekend. They had a great year, better than they had in years, and everyone is wallowing. Don't, you'll be much healthier for it.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                          Let the haters hate, it just goes to show that they have nothing better to do.
                          Especially considering that they only tend to show up when the team loses. They are not real fans.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                            **** off, troll.
                            Grussinko stick to what you know.
                            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              Especially considering that they only tend to show up when the team loses. They are not real fans.
                              I'm sure with some of them, they saw better times and yearn for those again; pretty common with human nature. Obviously some of us have a different perspective in that we did not experience those glory days, and I suppose that's the nice thing about this board. One thing I will say, though, is that there have been two posters on here that were chastised by the last two posts (and for the record, I am not one of the two people being referenced, although fully accept being chastised) that are real fans. One I see at every home game where I am in attendance and is never wrong with the information, as outlandish as we may think it, provided. The second is someone I not only recommended to this site, but is also one of the people responsible for helping me, as well as a few others, to enjoy RPI college hockey.

Do we have high expectations? Absolutely! If we didn't, RPI would not have the stalwart academic reputation that it continues to this day, and I'm sure every poster that comes here with some regularity is proud of.

Comment

• Yes we didn't have our full team 1 game this season

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                Odd season-can point to a lot of things that caused us to be in the position we find ourselves. Union games of course (late call by Kotyra a killer), BU, Minnesota state third periods, giving up that 5 on 3 short hander to QU late. But the overall picture I have to take away is just how good this team is forming up. Do we deserve to be an NCAA tournament team this year? Who knows?-Turn around any of the things i mentioned above and we are in-but maybe we do not deserve to be a top 16 team just yet. Sometimes you have to go through something like this to mature a bit. I am older than many of you guys-I saw the absolute most fearsome hockey team I thought i would ever see in 1983-84. They rolled over everyone. They made it look easy. But they ran into an NDak team that just played 2 games doing what they had to do while their goaltender just played like no one i had ever seen. If you think we had opportunites last night against Brown-quadruple that-and you had us agains NDak in 1984. Jon Casey just flat out stole the series and beat us. But as heartbroken as i was (and i am sure every team member was) the thought had crossed my mind that maybe we were just that much short of being the best around. The following year-we made it all come true. But, it took a lot of things to do it including some big time luck. If you can, watch the NCAA semifinal and see if you really think we should have won. Did we get the benefit of an extra penalty call in OT? Were we fortunate to score the goal to tie in regulation? And then of course, see if George was really onside againt Providence for the final goal in the final.

I suppose i am saying that maybe this year we are getting real close-let's use that for next year. We keep virtually our entire offense (we lose our top scoring defenseman and the next 8 scorers are all underclassmen). We keep our goaltending and the rest of our defense. Hopefully, we keep our coach (that one is for you Aspy). This is a very good team with the potential to be a lot better. We have an incoming class that should add more depth and speed. We get back Matt tinordi and Schroeder (and i think those losses were significant). I think we have a lot to look forward to and should be challenging as a top team now for some time to come. Go Red!! And thanks for an exciting season.
                                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Working...
                                X