PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ New Hampshire

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

e.cat
03-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice to see Maine fans(what's left of them!), including Dufus, post about something else other than firing Whitehead!!!

rufus
03-06-2013, 12:37 PM
TIMMAY needs to go, now!!!

WildShawn
03-06-2013, 12:38 PM
timmay needs to go negotiate an extension, now!!!

fyp!

WildShawn
03-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Nice to see Maine fans(what's left of them!), including Dufus, post about something else other than firing Whitehead!!!

What's left of them? Despite their fall into irrelevance, they've had a TON more activity on here than UNH fans (I think they're closing in on four threads and we're barely through one for this season despite it being a decent season for us....)

rufus
03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
yeah, but it's more fun to bich and moan.

TIMMAY

e.cat
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
What's left of them? Despite their fall into irrelevance, they've had a TON more activity on here than UNH fans (I think they're closing in on four threads and we're barely through one for this season despite it being a decent season for us....)

Amazing how a handful of disgruntled fans, posting a gazillion times apiece(look at Dufus, he's got over 15,000 posts!) can string out a thread;):eek::confused:

Chuck Murray
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe you should raise a banner.

Funny you should say that. Does it bother anyone else in UNH-land that the 1979 ECAC Tourney title is lumped in on UNH's "Hockey East Tourneys" banner?

Also dared to go back to the 1998-1999 UMaine team page on hockeydb.com during lunch today. A few fun facts (not agenda-ridden BTW):

* Marcus Gustafsson left school early after THE GOAL and potted 4 goals in 3 games in the AHL. He never played another game at that level, played one more season (1999-2000) in the ECHL (New Orleans), and retired from organized hockey that year at age 25. He will turn 40 years old next year.

* Among several assistant coaches on that team was one Nate Leaman, current PC head coach and former Union College head coach. Seems like he learned a few lessons from Walshy and Standbrook during his one-year tenure in Orono.

* Last UMaine forward from that team active in the NHL? Ben Guite (2010 w/Nashville). Last defenseman? Doug Janik (2012 w/Detroit).

* On the UNH side ... Jason Krog was active in the NHL until 2009 (Vancouver), Ty Conklin played for Detroit last season, and Darren Haydar is well on his way to becoming an AHL Hall of Famer (does such a thing even exist?), and has scored one (1) NHL goal in a very brief 22 game career at that level.

* Alfie Michaud played two NHL games with Vancouver the next season, never to return to that level. He spent the next couple of seasons as a backup in the AHL/IHL before dropping to the low minors, and has played most of his career since then in low-level European leagues.

* That win would be Walshy's final victory on the Frozen Four stage, as his last two teams would lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. If someone told me that would be the case after their triumph in Anaheim, I would have assumed it was because he moved on to the NHL. Life takes some weird turns. :(

Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players.

Likewise, seems like Umile and Company did OK with their crew as well. Not like either team had a Paul Kariya or Rod Longway on board.

Let's hope that a year from now, both programs can again truly be "relevant" again, like they were a decade or so ago, Fame can be fleeting, eh?

Drew S.
03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Funny you should say that. Does it bother anyone else in UNH-land that the 1979 ECAC Tourney title is lumped in on UNH's "Hockey East Tourneys" banner?

Also dared to go back to the 1998-1999 UMaine team page on hockeydb.com during lunch today. A few fun facts (not agenda-ridden BTW):

* Marcus Gustafsson left school early after THE GOAL and potted 4 goals in 3 games in the AHL. He never played another game at that level, played one more season (1999-2000) in the ECHL (New Orleans), and retired from organized hockey that year at age 25. He will turn 40 years old next year.

* Among several assistant coaches on that team was one Nate Leaman, current PC head coach and former Union College head coach. Seems like he learned a few lessons from Walshy and Standbrook during his one-year tenure in Orono.

* Last UMaine forward from that team active in the NHL? Ben Guite (2010 w/Nashville). Last defenseman? Doug Janik (2012 w/Detroit).

* On the UNH side ... Jason Krog was active in the NHL until 2009 (Vancouver), Ty Conklin played for Detroit last season, and Darren Haydar is well on his way to becoming an AHL Hall of Famer (does such a thing even exist?), and has scored one (1) NHL goal in a very brief 22 game career at that level.

* Alfie Michaud played two NHL games with Vancouver the next season, never to return to that level. He spent the next couple of seasons as a backup in the AHL/IHL before dropping to the low minors, and has played most of his career since then in low-level European leagues.

* That win would be Walshy's final victory on the Frozen Four stage, as his last two teams would lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. If someone told me that would be the case after their triumph in Anaheim, I would have assumed it was because he moved on to the NHL. Life takes some weird turns. :(

Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players.

Likewise, seems like Umile and Company did OK with their crew as well. Not like either team had a Paul Kariya or Rod Longway on board.

Let's hope that a year from now, both programs can again truly be "relevant" again, like they were a decade or so ago, Fame can be fleeting, eh?

In 2000 Maine made it to the frozen four. In 2001 they beat UMN the. Lost to BC the first weekend.

It would be nice for both teams to be relevant again but there is so much parity nowadays I'm not sure it will ever be like it was.

Nick Papagiorgio
03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Good post Chuck.

Maine teams, whether they had tons of talent or not, always were greater than the sum of their parts during the Walsh tenure. Just tough tough teams to play against. Throw in a euro here and there, grab some older players here and there and get a great goalie and BAM. Nasty Maine Black Bears team.

You're seeing a somewhat similar setup of what happened over at Merrimack (Da Costa, Cannata, overagers galore) and currently UML (Frolin, Hellebuyck, overagers). Both very very tough teams to play (Merrimack not so much lately).

rufus
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
That's cause they had a coach who instilled that nasty attitude in them.

TIMMAY's instilled his attitude into his teams during his tenure also. But his attitude isn't nasty, it's more like "oh well.................."

unhpuckfan2001
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
1) Greg - to your point, the UNH Student Athletic Fee is just shy of $1,000 after another increase. If a student attends every home athletic event, it ends up costing something like $650 (don't have the exact amount).

2) M.A.I.N.E maaaaaaaaine sucks. That is all. :D

IrishWildcat
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Well it's Maine week, and it's not exactly what it used to be, either between these two teams, or in my own life, personally. However, I figured now was as good a time as ever to post our favorite baninated song. Though the racism in this one may be a bit more than theoretical.

******** width="420" height="315">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jh0TOeo4noI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jh0TOeo4noI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

KnowItAll
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Well it's Maine week, and it's not exactly what it used to be, either between these two teams, or in my own life, personally. However, I figured now was as good a time as ever to post our favorite baninated song. Though the racism in this one may be a bit more than theoretical.

what exactly IS the ban with Black Betty?
I thought the NCAA said that that song was not allowed to be played at any NCAA sporting events.

They played it out in Kansas City at this year's Ice Breaker and I have heard it at many college hockey games since the UNH ban.

just not at UNH

Chuck Murray
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I thought the NCAA said that that song was not allowed to be played at any NCAA sporting events.

They played it out in Kansas City at this year's Ice Breaker and I have heard it at many college hockey games since the UNH ban.

just not at UNH

I'm 99.9% sure I heard it played at Merrimack back in January, and again at Merrimack during the UMass-Lowell game Sunday on TV.

unh1982
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
you did , i heard it also .

Dropkicknh
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM

just not at UNH

I actually looked into this earlier in the year when wondering about it myself. AD Marty Scarano made the decision to get rid of it because it is "theoretically racist" after a complaint. I was in school there at the time and as I remember it, it was a complaint from an assistant coach on the US Women's hockey team who heard it during an exhibition game there.

According to this article, Hockey East had no place to say anything, it was solely a UNH decision, and a bad one in the opinion of many.

http://www.tnhonline.com/2.3536/this-betty-won-t-play-anymore-1.393524#.UTfJ4FeGmSo

Darius
03-06-2013, 05:15 PM
... trying to quiet and dull down the cheering public for the knitters that want some quiet during the game...I know a knitter. She isn't quiet.

Darius
03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
... the UNH Student Athletic Fee is just shy of $1,000 after another increase. My daughter's bill for the current semester includes "Mandatory Fees = $1,287.50" as well as several smaller, mostly course related fees. Interestingly last spring the mandatory fees were $1,510.00

dwollstadt
03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Seems like Walshy and Standbrook did a pretty decent job with a relatively unremarkable collection of players. Not only that, but because of the sanctions that the NCAA imposed on UMaine, they were working with either 14 or 16 scholarships, instead of the usual 18.

Greg Ambrose
03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Now just because the State screws the University does not mean athletics should skin the fans. Latest bit i heard is the Friends of Hockey are no longer going to sell merchandise. I don't know if it because the Friends doesn’t want to - didn't get that much detail yet. But the University is getting an outside firm to sell the merchandise. So instead of the profits from a volunteer group going 20% to athletics (there current cut) and the rest to the hockey team booster club, somebody will take a profit cut and then pass the rest (likely) to the Athletic Department. I just can’t see how this is going to be in the interest of the hockey team and department in general, further clueless behavior.

It's been two years since I left the Friends board but I was there when the "negotiations" took place regarding the Friends booth at the Whit. This is back in the spring of 1995, before the Whit opened. The Friends had a small concession area at Snively, they had a little larger one the year we played in Manchester, and we were promised a prominent place inside the arena when the Whit opened. As I recall, there was some push back from Hayden Sports because, at the time, they pretty much were the exclusive vendor for UNH athletic wear. I vividly recall a meeting when we on the board were told that 20% of our gross revenue, that's off the top, would have to be given to the outside management company (forget their name) running the Whit. The edict sounded ludicrous to me since the Friends were non-profit, with their sole mission to support mens hockey at UNH. We were told that we were to be treated like any other concession, profit or non-profit and we had to pony up.

Over the years, the outside management team gave up their contract, the University took over but the Friends still had to pay the 20%. Like I said, I have not been on the board for two years but, as far as i know, the fee remains. From people I talked to this past weekend, it sounds as though the Friends could no longer justify keeping the booth open because of this fee. Obviously the waning enthusiasm for the team has something to do with it. But I have to think that without this 20% fee off the top, the Friends could still make a go of it and provide support to the hockey team.

JB I agree with most everything you said in your two posts. I don't think the average fan, or even those who post here, realize how difficult it is for UNH, and other others (UVM, Maine) to remain competitive in a hockey landscape that is increasingly going to be dominated by the likes of those who have King Football (BC, the Big Ten, Notre Dame) to back them up.