Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only hope

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Need an infusion of talent/size/new blood.

For that reason, I say put Spiro (first one off the bench), Straight, Linell, Sit, McMullen all in the stands until someone gets hurt or shows that there needs to be a change made (in other words, playing just like the last 4 guys I mentioned). Maybe Mcglynn pushes off a year and gives one of these guys a break. I just can't put a fairly good sized kid that proved to be capable of not getting pushed around on the bench (Silk). He even had some good games on the 2nd line in the middle of the season... ok now bluehorseshoe can complain that Linell is a million miles better than Silk.

Defense will also be interesting. I can't come up with any scenario in which Sullivan gets in unless we see two injured guys but who knows how good these incoming guys are.

I think this team not only needs to hit the refresh button but also the coaching staff. Hope they know what they are doing next season! Because short of putting Gaudreau in at goaltender the lineup decisions didn't work out too well.

ps - I'd also add Mike Brennan as a player for BC that was not afraid to scramble someone's brains if they got too close to the crease for his liking. Which reminds me, can they please insist these guys play physical and let them hit somebody.
    I agree with you about Silk. He did more with top forwards than Straight or Linell did. Probably deserving of a spot in the line-up. Sitting Straight might set a fire under him. You're also right about Mike Brennan-- not allowing nonsense to take place, while he's on the ice.

Can't wait to see a line of Gaudreau, Fitzgerald and Cangelosi. As someone mentioned a few weeks back, those two freshmen have the potential to be a Ben Eaves-Tony Voce duo.

Comment

• Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
      Gaudreau-Fitzgerald-Cangelosi
      Hayes-Arnold-Gilmour
      Richardson-Straight-Calnan
      Smith-Brown-Linell/Silk

As far as Spiro, Linell/Silk, McGlynn, Sit and McMullen-- practice hard and you may get your chance. I don't see McGlynn coming this fall. He has not been playing much lately; has not produced in the USHL; and is very young.

Maybe Ian McCoshen can be the enforcer BC needs. Brooks Orpik, Andrew Alberts, Nick Petrecki and (to an extent) Philip Samuelsson all did it from Day 1.
      I don't see the BC staff sitting five players in the stands. Something will need to give - players getting pushed off or others transferring. I think Silk will play a bigger roll now that he is healthy and has a year under his belt. Straight seems to be falling off. Maybe a fresh start next season will bring him back to form. Brown will play up the roster 2 or 3rd line. The kid has earned it and can contribute. I just hope York and staff can manage the expectations of the incoming class. High end guys have been recruited and high end guys want to play.

Correct on McGlynn. No point in rushing a 95 when you have things jammed up. He can play and is tough. I visited the Fall Classic and the NHL Prospect game and he was fantastic. Sioux City seems to be turing things around and this should help. A mid-west NHL scout told me McGlynn was injured and missed several weeks. This could explain why he has not been rostered.

Comment

With Brown getting the "C", I can't see him sitting, nor can I see Silk, Arnold, Gaudreau, Hayes, Straight or Linell in the stands. That leaves 5 spots for the rest of the returning players and recruits. Have to figure Cangelosi, Fitzgerald and Calnan will be suiting up. Now we are down to 2 spots. A year ago, I would have penciled in Richardson, but he didn't really light the BCHL on fire this year, so not so sure. Gilmour has the potential to be a poor man's Jimi Hayes, but am just not sure how long it will take him to adjust. McGlyn clearly needs more time and Gadreau isnt going to be a regular next year if ever. Spiro is a gamer but just doesn't have a ceiling anywhere near the incoming recruits. Personally, I would start all 5 of the big name freshmen as at least they have the potential to be very good players.

Comment

I'm certainly excited about the incoming class, but I find it hard to believe that guys who were in the lineup for two years will simply disappear or be banished to the stands. I'm not an expert, so maybe I'm wrong. But Sit played in 77 games over two years. They obviously see some value in him. He's not gonna go from playing that many games to riding the pine all next year. Not saying that I see why he's in the lineup every night, but they have their reasons. Same thing with Straight. I know a lot of people have gotten on him, but he put up five more points in 10 fewer games. He's gonna play IMO.

As talented as the incoming group is, chances are that it's one of them who become the odd man out at least at the beginning of the year. I just don't see them starting with a lineup that has five freshmen forwards in it. I think it's more likely to be three than it is five. This is gonna be a very interesting offseason IMO.

Comment

I think the only reason they played Sit was because there was nobody else behind him that was any better. Gilmour put up good numbers in his first year in the USHL, has good size and is a 4th rd draft pick. Richardson has played on all those those National teams and at the end of the day, is still considered a high end recruit that all the big schools were interested in. In addition, both are a bit more seasoned in that they'll be 19 years old. Sit obviously has the two years of experience on his side, but he certainly doesn't have anywhere near the upside that those other two have.
            Last edited by carltonbarrett; 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

All true. And that's why it will be fascinating to see how this plays out. Kudos to anyone who can predict the 12 forwards for opening night.

Comment

If those guys who have been playing regular minutes the last couple of seasons do end up in the stands, the staff has to worry about how that affects team morale. A lot of these guys are now veterans, upperclassmen and to find themselves sitting after playing so regularly could have a negative impact. Now if there is a program that could withstand that, it would be Coach York's program.
                National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

If they play the five big name frosh, then you're really only sitting Spiro and Sit. York is going to put the players on the ice that give them the best chance to win so it will be up to the players themselves to see who skates and who sits.

Comment

there will be guys who sit, and then suddenly get to play when dooky hayes takes another dump. when the 90lbs johny shadow gets hit and hurt.

that's why you have depth.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Are your two Fitzgerald recruits brothers? I know the first guy is the MC guy that played with Collier. Not sure about the other one.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Don't know what bug you have up your *** about Linell, and really doesn't matter what you think. I only know what I see. That is the kid played every game for the past 2 years several on the top line, defense when the team needed him and when he was back there got more time than Sullivan, Jeke or Doherty. Played on both the pp and pk at different positions and times during the year and is the fastest kid on the team. Having said that really doesn't matter to me if he's in the stands or on the ice. Just would like to see the team win. He and Straight are on 4 year scholarships so I just don't see the two of them in the stands. As far as the incoming freshman let's see what they can do. What I do know is that Straight had more points than Richardson in the BCHL and no one seems to like him. I also know that if I look at the top 25 scorers in HE 1 comes out of the EJHL. Let's see how Calnan and Fitzgerald do at this level. Cangelosi had 18 goals in 50 games while Gilmour had 19 goals in 60 games. Not exactly jumping out of seat with those numbers. For comparison purposes JG had 36 goals in 60 games. I buy the fact that that Cangelosi and Fitzgerald are playmakers but whose putting the puck in the net?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                          I think the only reason they played Sit was because there was nobody else behind him that was any better. Gilmour put up good numbers in his first year in the USHL, has good size and is a 4th rd draft pick. Richardson has played on all those those National teams and at the end of the day, is still considered a high end recruit that all the big schools were interested in. In addition, both are a bit more seasoned in that they'll be 19 years old. Sit obviously has the two years of experience on his side, but he certainly doesn't have anywhere near the upside that those other two have.
                          Things don't get any better the following year unless we see some very early departures for Pro contracts. The pressure on the current players is big. The next two recruiting classes for F and D are very strong.

Not lines, just names. 15 Forwards

2013-14 - Assuming Hays Departs
                          Brown - Silk - Arnold
                          Gaudreau - Linell - Sit
                          Smith - Spiro - Straight
                          Silk
                          +
                          Calan - Cangelosi - Fitzgerald
                          Gilmour - Richardson

2014-15 - Assuming Arnold & Gaudreau depart
                          Silk- Linell- Sit
                          Smith - Sprio - Straight
                          Canlan - Cagelosi - Fitzgerald
                          Gilmour - Richardson
                          +
                          McGlynn - Gaudreau - Tuch
                          Sanford

Push to 2015

MacMaster - Dudek

Comment

Originally posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
                            Don't know ....
                            cangelosi has had 'nagging' injuries all year... ALL YEAR!!!! got it!! THAT'S why he only has 18 goals (which is a big, BIG number!! ok!!!! )
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The kid has 60 points. Thats a good season with or without injuries.

Comment

Wasn't Fitz just Named the MVP of some recent USA All Star prospects tournament? He's ranked pretty darn high by CSB (#46 I think) for a small kid and everything I've read about him says he's an exceptional talent that has been successful in every tournament he's participated in, including the big International ones. Cangelosi had 29 goals last year as a 17 year old and put up 60 points this year, so hardly a question mark. Calnan had the most GPG in the EJHL by a wide margin and is a third rd draft pick, I think he'll be fine. Richardson and Straight are totally different players, so no way to project their college potential by looking at their BCHL stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X