Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    Great job by Coach Whitehead tonight to have the team ready to play and awesome win by the Bears. Things are trending in the right direction......sign Coach Whitehead to an extension, Abbott!
    I wouldn't extend his contract just yet, but this coaching staff has done a good job of developing this team throughout the season. This team is unrecognizeable from October.

Comment

With a Vermont loss tomorrow and a Maine win, Maine would be in 7th. Big task sweeping UNH at home.

Comment

While I don't hope and wish losses on Maine, I refuse to spend a dime on anything Maine athletics. I'm happy to say that I have accomplished this now for the past 3 years. I won't even buy a Maine hat. In fact I was a Maine Season ticket holder for many years and gave them up after too many disappointments. Now I wasn't your average Maine season ticket holder. I live in NH about 8 minutes from the UNH campus. Yes this is correct, less than 10 minutes away from the Whit. I drove up to Maine; 3+hour drive weekend after weekend usually spending Friday night in a Bangor hotel if there was a weekend series. That is how much I loved Maine hockey.

The past two seasons I have been a Merrimack season ticket holder. I have to admit the love I had for Maine hockey is shifting towards Merrimack. I love Mark Dennehy and the passion he brings to the game. He is always non-stop coaching, arguing for his players and brings so much emotion to that bench. Good example: at the end of tonight's game with UMass, Dennehy grabbed the public address arena microphone and addressed the crowd. Don't see too many coaches doing that. Lots of excitement on the Merrimack campus.

Maine has talented players. I believe Maine players are more talented than Merrimack's, they just don't have the leadership. I often wonder what type of team Maine would be with their current players and Dennehy behind the bench. The Maine brand still means something, but the brand is fading. A change should be made before it's too late.

Tonight I was cheering for Maine and scoreboard watching, however I was watching while wearing a Merrimack shirt and hat.

Anyone else think Maine should of called a time out after UNH scored their 3rd goal with 22 secs remaining to try to calm them down?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          In Hockey East play since the end of December, Martin Ouellette is 3-0-4/1.23/.955 on Friday but 1-5-1/3.65/.881 on Saturday. The recipe for the Black Bears is to spring the upset Friday, hope UMA loses and the 8-seed is secured so they can rest Marty and start Morris or Sullivan on Saturday.
          Ouellette is now 4-0-4 / 1.44 / .949 on Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Ouellette is now 4-0-4 / 1.44 / .949 on Fridays.
            strangely, I was THERE CHEERING for the goal scorers and for the Black Bears as they came off the ice between periods.

I did not see you there supporting the team, johnny, how iS that?

Comment

Congratulations on making the playoffs. Good luck in the quarter finals.
              #NewMass

Comment

While The Warden and I absolutely loved watching Maine win that wild game, I disagree with some of you that it signified any change whatsoever in TW's approach.

Seemed to me that he called-off the dogs when Maine got the early lead, and went into his usual shell. If Marty hadn't been a brick wall through 55+ minutes, we'd all likely be singing a different tune right now.

(Glad I'll get to see 'em again next week, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                  strangely, I was THERE CHEERING for the goal scorers and for the Black Bears as they came off the ice between periods.

I did not see you there supporting the team, johnny, how iS that?
                  Because my mother had the flu, brainiac, and I didn't want to leave her alone when she was sick.

Comment

Now that Maine has clinched any chance we see Morris in net tonight to give Marty a breather before next weekend when I'm sure he will be in there every game?

Comment

Originally posted by staind86 View Post
                      Now that Maine has clinched any chance we see Morris in net tonight to give Marty a breather before next weekend when I'm sure he will be in there every game?
                      The thinking was to clinch the spot last night and rest Marty tonight. He has lousy Saturday numbers anyway because he expends so much energy Friday night. The Saturday starter is a tossup between Morris and Sullivan. Some thought Maine could throw him a start and see if there is anything salvageable for next season or give it to Morris and let him get his feet wet in Durham with something still to play for on both sides. I am hoping for Morris.

Comment

Why would Marty need rest for a game played next weekend? Why would Timmay change anything he's been doing all season by playing someone other than Marty on Saturday? The stats have shown for quite awhile that Martys numbers are significantly different on Saturday and Tim hasn't played Sully or Matty. If he changes now I'll laugh.

Congrats to the team for going into UNH and winning a game. I thought Maine would lose them both and back into the playoffs but they showed me. I thought the 1st period was the best period of hockey I've seen them play all season. Shore has really come into his own as has S.Swavely. Marty continues to be the man on Fridays
                        Last edited by walrus; 03-09-2013, 06:21 AM.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Great team effort. Very pleased for Kyle Beattie. After having suffered 3 concussions he plays a vital role in the team's success. Scoring two goals last night and the second time he has done that at the Whittemore Center according to Larry in the Bangor Daily News article.
                          Last edited by Runsub5; 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Props to the Maine players last night. They came ready to play from the outset which has been a rarity. Never did I think they would win one at the Whitt, although I must admit they tried hard to gack it up in the end. My guess right now, PC sweeps UML, UHN rebounds for a win and Maine gets PC in the quarters. A tall order to say the least, but doable.
                            sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by staind86 View Post
                              I would rest Marty,good chance Maine will play Lowell on Thursday night

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Why would Marty need rest for a game played next weekend? Why would Timmay change anything he's been doing all season by playing someone other than Marty on Saturday? The stats have shown for quite awhile that Martys numbers are significantly different on Saturday and Tim hasn't played Sully or Matty. If he changes now I'll laugh.

Congrats to the team for going into UNH and winning a game. I thought Maine would lose them both and back into the playoffs but they showed me. I thought the 1st period was the best period of hockey I've seen them play all season. Shore has really come into his own as has S.Swavely. Marty continues to be the man on Fridays
                                Right don't mess with what is working,play Ouellette and ride him the rest of the season...next season they can deal with the Morris/Sullivan playing time. Its Playoff hockey now.

Comment

Working...
                                X