Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Shore, Lomberg, Hutton, S. Swavely, and Merchant are good Freshmen. By all accounts Morgan, Gleinke, Byron and Renouf are all highly regarded coming in. So better talent is on the way and has already arrived. What a coach gets out of them? It remains to be seen if a coach can get the most out of them and who that coach might be. Oh and Pecararo, Roberto, Salerno and Cloonan by all accounts appear to be good recruits as well.
    Cloonan has 6 goals in 33 EJHL games while BC recruit Chris Calnan has 27 goals in 2 fewer games. If Cloonan is "good" then what does that make Calnan? Your idea of what's a good player isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Re: Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

I don't have any doubts that things would be better with a new coach- at the very least, a new coach wouldn't have trouble maintaining the status quo. That isn't good enough, but it would be pretty impossible to do worse.

My issue, and why I don't root for losses, is that I think that the success of the team has zero bearing on the decision on whether to retain Whitehead. No one in the administration cares, no one in the athletic department is capable of taking any sort of decisive leadership role, and as long as the team keeps itself out of the police blotter, it can just plod along well under .500.

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
        Maybe not "much" better, but better nonetheless.
        Not this again. What did Maine do with Brian Flynn (firist NHL goal last night), Spencer Abbott, Gustav Nyquist, and a bunch of other AHL regs O'Neill, Dimmen, House......

Talent was the issue maybe in 08 and youth of that talent in 09 and maybe this yr. Otherwise its not. Its getting the most out of them and getting them to be consistent.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
          I don't see Maine stealing a point - assuming UNH is up for the series the way they have been for the past 15 years or so.

If UNH tries to give one away, though, all bets are off. It's up to the Wildcats. How much does Umile hate Maine? (I kid. Sort of).

If Maine does get 8th, I don't really care who they face.

Scratch that. I hope it's BC. No guts no glory. This team's going nowhere this season. The most I can hope for is some postseason experience for the newcomers. And since the postseason will be over after one round . . . might as well get as much as you can in that round. I have to think BC will be looking forward to seeing Maine for another 2 @ Conte. It'll either be a gigantic confidence boost if Maine steals a win, or a good measuring stick to show the frosh what they should aspire to achieve by March 2014 or 15.
          Yup, all around.

This Maine team isn't going to win their first series, even if they get to play one, but it would be helpful if they got a little playoff experience.

I'll take BC, just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Yup, all around.

This Maine team isn't going to win their first series, even if they get to play one, but it would be helpful if they got a little playoff experience.

I'll take BC, just for fun.
            Second or third that. I hope Maine backs into the 8th spot and then gets a BC team bent on redemption for the recent embarrasment. Just to bring Timmay back to reality

Having said that, I dont see it happening.
            Last edited by all bear; 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM.
            sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              Not this again. What did Maine do with Brian Flynn (firist NHL goal last night), Spencer Abbott, Gustav Nyquist, and a bunch of other AHL regs O'Neill, Dimmen, House......

Talent was the issue maybe in 08 and youth of that talent in 09 and maybe this yr. Otherwise its not. Its getting the most out of them and getting them to be consistent.
              The issue was goaltending for a few years. I think what we've seen this year in hockey east is the new normal. I see Maine in the mix next year but it will probably be so tight again they could wind up anywhere between one and six.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                Second or third that. I hope Maine backs into the 8th spot and then gets a BC team bent on redemption for the recent embarrasment. Just to bring Timmay back to reality

Having said that, I dont see it happening.
                Good to see you so supportive of the team. I don't know how I could ever have questioned your fanhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  There are people on this thread so obsessed with removing the coach that they can't stand to see a group of young men enjoy success. Absolutely absurd.
                  This is willfully ignorant. Nobody here wants to see this group of young men fail. Nobody. Look at our uscho join dates. We've all been here since the beginning of the USCHO forum (I'm on my 2nd username), or very close to it.

What we all have in common is the belief that Maine hockey is bigger than the individuals wearing the sweaters. It was bigger than Jimmy Montgomery, Scott Pellerin, and Paul Kariya. It's no insult to Martin Ouellette, Joey Diamond, and Devin Shore to say that it's bigger than them, too.

As for a change at the top, I'll just speak for myself. No, there's no guarantee things will be better. Other things equal, stability in a program is preferable to turnover. And there's no guarantee of improvement. We might hope for Walsh and end up getting a Cedorchuk.

The fact that change could be for the worse is only meaningful to the extent that present circumstances are acceptable. To go with a college example, it's like getting a 57 on a final exam, failing a course, and the prof giving you a chance to re-take it. Do you refuse the offer, worried that you might get a 46 the second time? Obviously not. Failure is failure. If you have an iota of ambition, pride, or self-confidence, you take the offer and don't look back.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Good to see you so supportive of the team. I don't know how I could ever have questioned your fanhood.
                    Supportive of team, non supportive of Whitehead. What is it that is so phkn hard for you to understand, Geezus.
                    Last edited by all bear; 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM.
                    sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      This is willfully ignorant. Nobody here wants to see this group of young men fail. Nobody. Look at our uscho join dates. We've all been here since the beginning of the USCHO forum (I'm on my 2nd username), or very close to it.

What we all have in common is the belief that Maine hockey is bigger than the individuals wearing the sweaters. It was bigger than Jimmy Montgomery, Scott Pellerin, and Paul Kariya. It's no insult to Martin Ouellette, Joey Diamond, and Devin Shore to say that it's bigger than them, too.

As for a change at the top, I'll just speak for myself. No, there's no guarantee things will be better. Other things equal, stability in a program is preferable to turnover. And there's no guarantee of improvement. We might hope for Walsh and end up getting a Cedorchuk.

The fact that change could be for the worse is only meaningful to the extent that present circumstances are acceptable. To go with a college example, it's like getting a 57 on a final exam, failing a course, and the prof giving you a chance to re-take it. Do you refuse the offer, worried that you might get a 46 the second time? Obviously not. Failure is failure. If you have an iota of ambition, pride, or self-confidence, you take the offer and don't look back.
                      Maine hasn't won a game in the NCAA's since 2007 and the Alfond is only about half full for games now, how much worse can things be with a new coach?

I've never doubted that the other fans on here care about the team, even when we disagree on what is the best way forward. The infighting is as bad as the losing in my opinion.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        Supportive of team, non supportive of Whitehead. What is it that is so phkn hard for you to understand, Geezus.
                        You want the players to fail. That's like saying you're a Patriots fan but you hope Brady throws four picks to make Bill Belichick look bad.

Comment

“Playoff experience?” This team has been playing under that type of pressure all season just attempting to stay in the top eight. There isn’t any more pressure in the playoffs than there will be this weekend in Durham on national TV.

Comment

You want the players to fail. That's like saying you're a Patriots fan but you hope Brady throws four picks to make Bill Belichick look bad.
                            Tim Whitehead is a glioma (a form of brain cancer randomly chosen to make a point...).
                            If the glioma is allowed to live in the UMaine hockey program, then the whole program dies.
                            We want the whole program to live and to thrive.
                            Some believe that we must remove the glioma. HOWEVER... there are some surgeons who do not believe that the glioma is causing any problems whatsoever, so they will not remove the glioma.

The ONLY way they will agree to remove the glioma is if they see with their own eyes ample evidence that the glioma is causing damage.

so... in order to save the program, the damage must be obvious.
                            we want to save the program. we want Maine hockey to thrive once again.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                              Tim Whitehead is a glioma (a form of brain cancer randomly chosen to make a point...).
                              I see what you did here.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You want the players to fail.
                                Oh really
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X