Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quinnipiac Bobcats '12-'13 Post Season - The view from the top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats '12-'13 Post Season - The view from the top...

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
    Congrats on Hartzell being a Hobey finalist. I've gotta say, I'm surprised the ECAC got 3 finalists, at most I thought it'd be Hartzell and Carey...bit surprised by Flanagan.
    Actually.....if you have been following the debate, Kyle Flanagan is the "endorsed" candidate from SLU, not Carey. They say over the years that having two players from one team detracts votes, one from the other and they both wind up suffering in the ballot. This year North Dakota is facing the same problem/issue with Knight and Kristo.
    As for Hartzell....it is rare for a goalie to win the award. But I think Hartzell's best chance comes from splintered voting so he could sneak in. My guess is Gaudreau will win it as he is tops in the nation in points scored per game.

As to Hartzell winning ECAC player of the year I have very ambivalent feelings about that. I have the same feelings when it comes to the NHL awards. When there is a whole separate category for "Goalie of the Year", I don't favor having that same player win "player" of the year.
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      You mean other than that Johnny Gaudreau guy, right?
      And why do you think Gaudreau a clear favorite? He doesn't lead the nation in scoring. He was in a bit of a slump after the WJCs, and just broke out of it recently in the HEA playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by UND92UMNLaw99 View Post
        And why do you think Gaudreau a clear favorite? He doesn't lead the nation in scoring.
        Not to hijack the QPac thread but...

Gaudreau does indeed lead the nation in scoring at 1.48 PPG. He had a head start on the field with his postseason performances last season for BC (shouldn't count but it matters and helps). He also answered the bell for Team USA in the WJC and helped them win gold and was one of their leading scorers in the tournament. He's the clear favorite and the only guy coming out of Hockey East in the Top 10. Hartzell won't take many votes from him IMO but he will take some. Hartzell might even have to split any ECAC type vote with the SLU kids - and given the status of the ECAC (no offense) there is probably not going to be a huge contingent willing to vote for an ECAC player anyway. He's got a big enough name nationally to get some Western votes and the Western guys are all reasonable candidates to split the other Western votes (especially the 2 North Dakota players, though they do have character issues looming). It's still his award to lose right now. One or two more good games in the next 2 weekends and he can lock it up I think.

Just my opinion.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          As to Hartzell winning ECAC player of the year I have very ambivalent feelings about that. I have the same feelings when it comes to the NHL awards. When there is a whole separate category for "Goalie of the Year", I don't favor having that same player win "player" of the year.
          For what it's worth, all three "of the year" awards went to goaltenders. I don't know if there really was a standout forward in the league this year, because even with Greg Carey, Kyle Flanagan essentially matched him point for point. In fact, given the team dependent nature of the sport, it would make sense to see player of the year awards go to goaltenders, since that can truly be an individual effort, as much as the defence is able to help through blocking shots and closing lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Not to hijack the QPac thread but...

Gaudreau does indeed lead the nation in scoring at 1.48 PPG. He had a head start on the field with his postseason performances last season for BC (shouldn't count but it matters and helps). He also answered the bell for Team USA in the WJC and helped them win gold and was one of their leading scorers in the tournament. He's the clear favorite and the only guy coming out of Hockey East in the Top 10. Hartzell won't take many votes from him IMO but he will take some. Hartzell might even have to split any ECAC type vote with the SLU kids - and given the status of the ECAC (no offense) there is probably not going to be a huge contingent willing to vote for an ECAC player anyway. He's got a big enough name nationally to get some Western votes and the Western guys are all reasonable candidates to split the other Western votes (especially the 2 North Dakota players, though they do have character issues looming). It's still his award to lose right now. One or two more good games in the next 2 weekends and he can lock it up I think.

Just my opinion.
            I don't think that the WJCs should have any bearing on the Hobey voting. The Hobey Baker award is for performance in College Hockey.

Nor should his performance LAST YEAR in the playoffs have any bearing on THIS YEAR's award.

His PPG does lead the nation, but not by a whole lot. Erik Haula has 1.4 points per game, and isn't even a finalist, even though he is the best player on the top ranked team in the country.

Sadly, you may be right that he is likely to win the award because he is the only finalist from Hockey East, but I really don't think that he deserves it more than Hartzell.

Comment

Greeting from Atlantic City! Tropicana Hotel crawling with Yale and Brown fans. One other Q fan 4 doors down from me... wonder if there's more? Heading to the rink shortly. Can't wait! Let's go Bobcats!
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
              Northeast Regional:
              West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                Greeting from Atlantic City! Tropicana Hotel crawling with Yale and Brown fans. One other Q fan 4 doors down from me... wonder if there's more? Heading to the rink shortly. Can't wait! Let's go Bobcats!
                The existence of more than a few dozen Brown fans interests me considering QU fans nearly out-numbed Brown fans at Meehan in February.

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
                  The existence of more than a few dozen Brown fans
                  To be fair, I haven't seen that many yet. Maybe around 6 so far. But I think the Brown and Yale teams are here in the hotel because there's signs in the lobby. Whatever... I'm sure there will be plenty of blue and gold at the rink. Heading over in a few to do my best to inspire the crowd! Yes, I do have the flag (minus the stick) and hope to be waving it often!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
                    The existence of more than a few dozen Brown fans interests me considering QU fans nearly out-numbed Brown fans at Meehan in February.
                    Name me a school that DOESN'T outnumber Brown fans at Meehan...

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Name me a school that DOESN'T outnumber Brown fans at Meehan...
                      Name me a school that DOESN'T beat RPI at their own arena in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                        Princeton.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Princeton.
                          *thunderous applause*

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            Ouch. That had to hurt! I saw it!
                            Last edited by ZYanksRule; 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Q..... What the hell happened????? What happened to being good???
                              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Go you Green and White
                              Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight with all your might!
                              Rah! Rah! Rah!
                              We are here to cheer you
                              We are out to win your fame,
                              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                                Q..... What the hell happened????? What happened to being good???
                                Looks like it was smoke and mirrors. They'll be an easy out for a 4 seed next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X