Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching changes 2013

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
    Kelly Did the U-19 final game out at the USA Hockey Nationals this past season. She did a great job if not one for one blown call calling off a goal. (LOL Kelly knows I'm kidding we talked about the play this summer) She was also out at Lake Placid for the National camp selections. I would say she is on the fast track to DI and beyond. A bit of fresh air in the officiating ranks for sure. Best of luck to her.
    Hope she doesn't have to break up any rough stuff in a D1 game - is she even 5 feet tall?

Comment

LOL no she didn't....She is 5'1". My daughter is 5' 0" and she calls her midgy.
      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I agree with the sentiment, but in all honesty, as college grads you would hope that most would gravitate toward what most would consider a true career. And barring a chosen path that would lead to elective office, most any other career would be more lucrative while being less subject to constant criticism from folks on message boards.
        I would surmise that for most that do the reffing, they do it for:
        A - The love of the game
        B - As a sideline/hobby on top of having a career.

Clearly those that played the game at a high level are in a better position to ref the game at a high level, both in terms of understanding the game and in terms of the ability to keep up with the play.

While the number of female Refs in the D1 game is still relatively small, would expect that to increase over the next ten years, with the depth of the game continuously increasing.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          I would surmise that for most that do the reffing, they do it for:
          A - The love of the game
          B - As a sideline/hobby on top of having a career.

Clearly those that played the game at a high level are in a better position to ref the game at a high level, both in terms of understanding the game and in terms of the ability to keep up with the play.

While the number of female Refs in the D1 game is still relatively small, would expect that to increase over the next ten years, with the depth of the game continuously increasing.
          The girls NDC's I was at in the last 5 years had exclusively female referees for games as I recall (it is a development opportunity for the refs as well), so clearly this is a priority for USA Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            The girls NDC's I was at in the last 5 years had exclusively female referees for games as I recall (it is a development opportunity for the refs as well), so clearly this is a priority for USA Hockey.
            As well it should be. There is a similar plan in place in Hockey Canada, (Has been for years), to encourage more to get into the reffing aspect of the game and to develop refs for the highest levels. The U18 Nationals and CWG are key development/assessment elements in that program.

Comment

• Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
              Ann Ninnemann, I think, graduated, was an assistant coach under Idalski for one year, and then took over as head coach, all at Point. Ironically, Sarah Erickson spent last year as an assistant coach under Coach Ninnemann at Point. Coaches need to start somewhere. I wish Sarah Erickson the best at Moorhead.
              Ninnemann took a perennial 20 win team under Idalski and turned it into a perennial non-contender. After 2 good seasons with Idalski's players, her team have gotten progressively worse. And to top it off, in last years NCHA semi-final, down 5-0 to River Falls with 10 minutes to go, she pulls her goalie. That is not strategy, that's embarrassing your team! Time for a change at Point.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                Ninnemann took a perennial 20 win team under Idalski and turned it into a perennial non-contender. After 2 good seasons with Idalski's players, her team have gotten progressively worse. And to top it off, in last years NCHA semi-final, down 5-0 to River Falls with 10 minutes to go, she pulls her goalie. That is not strategy, that's embarrassing your team! Time for a change at Point.
                HockeyEast 33 came up with one example of a D3 women’s hockey program that was coached by a former player with one year of assistant coaching experience. I simply pointed out another one. I didn’t expect someone to slam the coach and program I mentioned.

Maybe this is the appropriate time to make the argument that players coming out of college who want to coach should be obtaining a coaching minor or at last taking some coaching classes. There is so much more to coaching than just being able to play the game (training, drills, strategies, recruiting, rule compliance, administrative issues, budgets, academics, dealing with different personalities, etc. etc.). I would venture a guess that most of the former players taking coaching positions (either high school or college) have not had this necessary training.

Comment

Anyone have insight on UNE, Trinity or Neumann? Seems awfully close to the start of the academic year to not have someone in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    The lovely Mrs. Williams is pursuing a career in health and wellness in the Plattsburgh area.

Merrimack has hired a first assistant and will be making the announcement soon.
                    From the RPI thread it seems that Brent Hill is the assistant at Merrimack - surprising change for him.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      From the RPI thread it seems that Brent Hill is the assistant at Merrimack - surprising change for him.
                      Very surprising! I had assumed that Merrimack would be going D1 Independent in a year or so and then join Hockey East, but their website says that they will have a club team for the next 3 years and then join Hockey East in 2016-2017! How easy will it be to recruit good players to play club hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                        Very surprising! I had assumed that Merrimack would be going D1 Independent in a year or so and then join Hockey East, but their website says that they will have a club team for the next 3 years and then join Hockey East in 2016-2017! How easy will it be to recruit good players to play club hockey?
                        That isn't what Hux heard per another thread:
                        Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Spoke with Coach Hamlen at the Beantown Women's Classic and she said that Merrimack will not be having a club team, but will move directly into D1. A decision will be made within the next few weeks whether they will begin play for the 2014-15 season, or the season after. She has also hired a first assistant, and that person will be announced shortly.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Proof will be in the pudding when they make the announcement, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Merrimack wouldn't be hiring an assistant now (and laying out for the combined expense of two coaches) were they not leaning towards starting play in 2014.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hux View Post
                            Proof will be in the pudding when they make the announcement, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Merrimack wouldn't be hiring an assistant now (and laying out for the combined expense of two coaches) were they not leaning towards starting play in 2014.
                            Merrimack will be making a decision within a week. Coach really wants to go D1 in 2015 with 2 full years of recruiting. Brent Hill was hired as first assistant. Another assistant will be hired.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                              Merrimack will be making a decision within a week. Coach really wants to go D1 in 2015 with 2 full years of recruiting. Brent Hill was hired as first assistant. Another assistant will be hired.
                              Funny, but I got the impression from my conversation with Coach Hamlen that she was interested in sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                                Anyone have insight on UNE, Trinity or Neumann? Seems awfully close to the start of the academic year to not have someone in place.
                                According to a UNE player, there's been no word.
                                It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Working...
                                X