Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching changes 2013

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Here's the link to the press release from Concordia: http://concordiamn.prestosports.com/...20130725nulff9
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
      Here's the link to the press release from Concordia: http://concordiamn.prestosports.com/...20130725nulff9
      Hmmmm....... Well, I'm all for getting more women into the coaching ranks of women's hockey and also giving young coaches a chance. That being said, this one seems like a reach even by that standard/goal. We all know that being a good player often does not translate into being a good coach (one theory is that the game comes too easily/naturally to outstanding players so they don't learn enough about the game to be effective coaches/teachers) - think Gretzky. Often, the marginal players make WAY better coaches because they had to learn the game inside and out to even make the cut - think Belichek (OK - it's a football reference - still applicable).

Trying to think of another D3 women's hockey program that was coached by a ~23 year old former player with one year of assistant coaching experience and can only come up with one - Nichols hired a kid off the men's team for next season who graduated this past Spring. That one has train-wreck written all over it for more reasons than I can count, but it's Nichols - they have never been serious about the sport there and this was a cost saving hire. Would have thought that Concordia, where the sport is actually valued, would have found a more experienced candidate. As always, time and results will tell us how it works out - hope your daughter finds it to be a good experience Icehawk.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Hmmmm....... Well, I'm all for getting more women into the coaching ranks of women's hockey and also giving young coaches a chance. That being said, this one seems like a reach even by that standard/goal. We all know that being a good player often does not translate into being a good coach (one theory is that the game comes too easily/naturally to outstanding players so they don't learn enough about the game to be effective coaches/teachers) - think Gretzky. Often, the marginal players make WAY better coaches because they had to learn the game inside and out to even make the cut - think Belichek (OK - it's a football reference - still applicable).

Trying to think of another D3 women's hockey program that was coached by a ~23 year old former player with one year of assistant coaching experience and can only come up with one - Nichols hired a kid off the men's team for next season who graduated this past Spring. That one has train-wreck written all over it for more reasons than I can count, but it's Nichols - they have never been serious about the sport there and this was a cost saving hire. Would have thought that Concordia, where the sport is actually valued, would have found a more experienced candidate. As always, time and results will tell us how it works out - hope your daughter finds it to be a good experience Icehawk.
        I would of liked to have seen a more experienced coach for obvious reasons but like you said time will tell how she does. Gretzky came to mind right away when I heard this. Great player but coaching is a different animal. I have coached for 30 years the last 4 as a head coach for our girls high school team. Its not something that clicks right off the bat. It takes some time but hopefully she let's her assistant show her the ropes and continue going forward with the program.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
          We all know that being a good player often does not translate into being a good coach (one theory is that the game comes too easily/naturally to outstanding players so they don't learn enough about the game to be effective coaches/teachers) - think Gretzky.
          Gretzky, as one of the greatest players ever, isn't a very good parallel. Herb Brooks, as someone cut from an Olympic team, would be closer. There are women's hockey coaches that had more success as players and have had success as coaches, e.g. Katie King and Mark Johnson. The advantage that good players have is that they get to experience the game at more levels.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

RPI - http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/5583012/1,false

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

Ann Ninnemann, I think, graduated, was an assistant coach under Idalski for one year, and then took over as head coach, all at Point. Ironically, Sarah Erickson spent last year as an assistant coach under Coach Ninnemann at Point. Coaches need to start somewhere. I wish Sarah Erickson the best at Moorhead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DedicatedFan View Post
                Ann Ninnemann, I think, graduated, was an assistant coach under Idalski for one year, and then took over as head coach, all at Point. Ironically, Sarah Erickson spent last year as an assistant coach under Coach Ninnemann at Point. Coaches need to start somewhere. I wish Sarah Erickson the best at Moorhead.
                My daughter had Coach Ninnemann at a camp - thought she was awesome.

Comment

Idalski also played for Stevens Point before returning to coach the women's team. Players can coach

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
                  WCHA Playoff Champions:
                  NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
                  NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    Interesting. Any idea on where Nicole is going? Or are they adding a 2nd Asst Coach?
                    The lovely Mrs. Williams is pursuing a career in health and wellness in the Plattsburgh area.

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Would certainly think she has the HC chops, but wouldn't be surprised to see her as #1 assistant to her old coach Erin Hamlen at Merrimack.
                    Merrimack has hired a first assistant and will be making the announcement soon.

Comment

The NESCAC currently has three coaches who are former NESCAC players. Bowdoin's Marissa O'Neil was the conference Coach of the Year for the '12-'13 season and led the Polar Bears back to an NCAA appearance. Meghan Gillis guides Williams and Emily McNamara is behind the bench at Hamilton.
                      I think it is great that colleges are giving these women the opportunity to have careers in a sport they love! Now, if we could just get more of these recent grads on the ice as officials...

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                        I think it is great that colleges are giving these women the opportunity to have careers in a sport they love! Now, if we could just get more of these recent grads on the ice as officials...
                        Agreed, twice.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

.......Now, if we could just get more of these recent grads on the ice as officials...
                          Funny you should mention that. Kelly Cooke, late of Princeton, apparently donned the stripes a while back and will be working the college game in the near future.

Comment

I agree with the sentiment, but in all honesty, as college grads you would hope that most would gravitate toward what most would consider a true career. And barring a chosen path that would lead to elective office, most any other career would be more lucrative while being less subject to constant criticism from folks on message boards.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              Funny you should mention that. Kelly Cooke, late of Princeton, apparently donned the stripes a while back and will be working the college game in the near future.
                              Kelly Did the U-19 final game out at the USA Hockey Nationals this past season. She did a great job if not one for one blown call calling off a goal. (LOL Kelly knows I'm kidding we talked about the play this summer) She was also out at Lake Placid for the National camp selections. I would say she is on the fast track to DI and beyond. A bit of fresh air in the officiating ranks for sure. Best of luck to her.
                              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                                Kelly Did the U-19 final game out at the USA Hockey Nationals this past season. She did a great job if not one for one blown call calling off a goal. (LOL Kelly knows I'm kidding we talked about the play this summer) She was also out at Lake Placid for the National camp selections. I would say she is on the fast track to DI and beyond. A bit of fresh air in the officiating ranks for sure. Best of luck to her.
                                Definitely a kick and the correct call. With that said, lots of refs wouldn't have made that call in a National Championship game.

Comment

Working...
                                X