X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching changes 2013

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
    Stevenson and St Cloud?
    I think I saw pics on twitter of them being married about a month (congrats).

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity11 View Post
      Trinity Women will soon have a GREAT new head coach who has an unmatched playing pedigree and knowledge of the game. Her contacts nationally and internationally should provide the opportunity to bring some interesting players to Hartford.

Bantams will be highly competitive immediately and I predict will win the NESCAC within 3 years. Women's LAX won a national championship...why not Women's I Hockey too!

Top Notch and impressive hire by the AD.

Go Lady Bantams!!!!
      Unmatched?

Mandigo
      Houle
      Bolding
      Jackson
      Morgan
      Cranston
      MacMullan

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
        Unmatched?

Mandigo
        Houle
        Bolding
        Jackson
        Morgan
        Cranston
        MacMullan
        Carroll.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

The announcement of Jenny Potter as the new head coach is up on the Trinity web site: http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports...e_Hockey_11314

And... the previous poster may have been stating the case strongly, but yes, none of the coaches you mentioned (or any other NESCAC coach, to my knowledge) has four Olympic medals in Women's Ice Hockey, so I think it's OK to say that her playing pedigree is unmatched.
          Last edited by prepdad; 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prepdad View Post
            The announcement of Jenny Potter as the new head coach is up on the Trinity web site: http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports...e_Hockey_11314

And... the previous poster may have been stating the case strongly, but yes, none of the coaches you mentioned (or any other NESCAC coach, to my knowledge) has four Olympic medals in Women's Ice Hockey, so I think it's OK to say that her playing pedigree is unmatched.
            While none of those coaches, and I would include Coach Plumer, do not have Olympic medals, they have had consistent COACHING success, and that is something only time will tell with Jenny Potter. As we are all aware, being a terrific player, does not make one a great coach, as you need to have great communication skills, great leadership qualities, great recruiting techniques, with a younger generation and ability to draw the best out of every player. Also, you have to have the ability to recruit good assistants, and achieve the respect of your players, school and alumni, manage a budget, deal with parents, and make sure kids stay focused on their education (especially at the DIII level) as well. There are many moving parts to being a consistently strong coach, above your hockey background/pedigree, and you have to be very good at all of them. Many of the great athletes who have tried coaching, many times struggle. In fact, some of your better coaches were the average players on their teams (during their playing career) who did not have the god given talent, and had to give everything they had to stay with a team. Sometimes they are better prepared.

Simply put, not all great and successful players make great coaches. Time will tell with Jenny Potter, and it would be great if she did, keeping the NESCAC, as the cream of the crop of DIII hockey. Oh boy, I am sure that last comment will set off a tirade of comments.

In any event, good luck and best wishes to Coach Potter and Bantams this year and the coming years!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
              While none of those coaches, and I would include Coach Plumer, do not have Olympic medals, they have had consistent COACHING success, and that is something only time will tell with Jenny Potter. As we are all aware, being a terrific player, does not make one a great coach, as you need to have great communication skills, great leadership qualities, great recruiting techniques, with a younger generation and ability to draw the best out of every player. Also, you have to have the ability to recruit good assistants, and achieve the respect of your players, school and alumni, manage a budget, deal with parents, and make sure kids stay focused on their education (especially at the DIII level) as well. There are many moving parts to being a consistently strong coach, above your hockey background/pedigree, and you have to be very good at all of them. Many of the great athletes who have tried coaching, many times struggle. In fact, some of your better coaches were the average players on their teams (during their playing career) who did not have the god given talent, and had to give everything they had to stay with a team. Sometimes they are better prepared.

Simply put, not all great and successful players make great coaches. Time will tell with Jenny Potter, and it would be great if she did, keeping the NESCAC, as the cream of the crop of DIII hockey. Oh boy, I am sure that last comment will set off a tirade of comments.

In any event, good luck and best wishes to Coach Potter and Bantams this year and the coming years!!
              Agreed, 100%. I don't think the previous poster was saying that she was a better or more experienced coach, obviously, only time will tell. The good thing, for this year, is that Dom Lozzi returns as assistant coach, who's been doing (my personal opinion only) a fantastic job in a less than stable environment. There's one thing I think we can all agree about -- Jenny's high profile means that a lot of people will be following the Trinity program closely this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
                Oh boy, I am sure that last comment will set off a tirade of comments.
                Tirade depends on the interpretation of "cream of the crop". If you meant the league with the best teams then you will get some tirades from ECAC West fans. If you meant the league with the best combination of success on the ice blended with the best adherence to the DIII ideal of Scholarship over scholarship"s", then I think anyone will be hard pressed to dispute that NESCAC is the cream of the crop.

Comment

The good thing, for this year, is that Dom Lozzi returns as assistant coach,

Will her husband, Rob be hired next? Watch out if he gets involved. Although its college so the language factor shouldn't be as big of deal compared to high school.

Comment

JP's hiring is great for Trinity and for women's hockey in general. Bants have a really good goalie and some returning vets so watch out. Naysayers are Naysayers...she's been an Olympian since age 17, has played F and D, Has been a star and a depth player (some believe she's still one of the best American women's players around and should be on the '14 O. Team...we'll have to see what happens in Russia to see if this is accurate), has played for many good coaches and some bad ones, has had success teaching/coaching youth players both at home and abroad, has an understanding of the game, is accountable, and is a solid citizen, family person and moral role model. If these things are translated and/or transferred to her players then irrespective of wins and losses, the Trinity players will truly benefit from their playing experience. I am confident that they will.

Comment

There is no magic to coaching. It's hard work. So, imo, it doesn't matter whether you ever played the game. Remember that in many sports (football, basketball, gymnastics, hockey, baseball) the greatest coaches
                      never played the sport. I played Jr. hockey for an All-American from BU (back in the day). Worst coach I ever had. I wish JP well. But the jury will be out for many years.

That leaves UNE and Neumann. Has anyone heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                        Worst coach I ever had.
                        Good versus bad coaches can be very subjective. Many of the most successful coaches were less than popular with their players, especially at the time. Some people respond to certain styles better than others.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                          The good thing, for this year, is that Dom Lozzi returns as assistant coach,

Will her husband, Rob be hired next? Watch out if he gets involved. Although its college so the language factor shouldn't be as big of deal compared to high school.
                          That's odd....from what I hear Rob Potter has an exemplary command of the English language....and even has the capability of teaching his players a few new words.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                            There is no magic to coaching. It's hard work. So, imo, it doesn't matter whether you ever played the game. Remember that in many sports (football, basketball, gymnastics, hockey, baseball) the greatest coaches
                            never played the sport. I played Jr. hockey for an All-American from BU (back in the day). Worst coach I ever had. I wish JP well. But the jury will be out for many years.

That leaves UNE and Neumann. Has anyone heard anything?
                            At least UNE has posted the position and started the process. I have not even seen a posting by Neumann. Are they just doing something internal?

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                              At least UNE has posted the position and started the process. I have not even seen a posting by Neumann. Are they just doing something internal?
                              Yes, they hired internally.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                Good versus bad coaches can be very subjective. Many of the most successful coaches were less than popular with their players, especially at the time. Some people respond to certain styles better than others.
                                Subjective? One drill, a 3 on 2 with one specific drop pass, done for two hours straight, no breaks. Did that for three straight weeks (3x per week). Didn't talk to anyone. Blew a whistle. We finished 4-44 for the year. For another 2 weeks we skated in circles for two hours, no breaks. Just two examples. I think that qualifies for worst coach ever. It's in the past now, but the example of great players not being great coaches was very evident.

I'm sure JP is nothing like that and I wish her the very best. I hope she has a terrific career as a coach. I was just pointing out the fact that there is no "correct" resume for coaching success.

Comment

Working...
                                X