Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Where was Vermonts 95-96 final four team? you know the Thomas/StLouis team.
    The other three final four teams from that year made the list.
    Would have been nice to get some other teams in this instead of some schools having double digit teams in.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I never would expect them to be in the top 100, or even 200, but do you know where 2002-2003 Minnesota State be?
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Kind of surprised DU only scored 3 goals considering they averaged 5.88 goals per game in 77/78. Also surprised at all the posts they hit. That team had some real good snipers on it. Lots of fun FS23!! Looking forward to that 77/78 DU/BU matchup after you complete this tourney.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          Kind of surprised DU only scored 3 goals considering they averaged 5.88 goals per game in 77/78. Also surprised at all the posts they hit. That team had some real good snipers on it. Lots of fun FS23!! Looking forward to that 77/78 DU/BU matchup after you complete this tourney.
          On the other hand, they were facing Alfie Michaud who sported a 28-6-3 record with a 2.32 and 3 shutouts; and a sub 1.5GAA in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
            The game reviews are excellent BTW. The only thing that's a little hard to believe are the number of posts that the players hit during each game.

So, what is the next game and when will it be played?
            The sim doesn't technically say that the shot hit the post...I add that for effect.

That being said, I didn't think 3 posts between the two sides was all that unrealistic.

The next game will be 2001-2002 New Hampshire (#62) vs. 1994-1995 Michigan (#67). Puck drop has not be determined (not today). Perhaps tomorrow. If tomorrow, it would be later in the day. If not tomorrow, then it will likely be Friday around noon.

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
            Where was Vermonts 95-96 final four team? you know the Thomas/StLouis team.
            The other three final four teams from that year made the list.
            Would have been nice to get some other teams in this instead of some schools having double digit teams in.
            I thought about that. I could always do a "best of" Tournament, featuring the top team from each of the 59 schools. Perhaps following this tournament.

The '95-96 Vermont squad finished #195 with 101.4492 points. Just ahead of them at #194 was the '57-58 National Champions Denver, and Just below them at #196 was the '90-91 Clarkson squad.

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            I never would expect them to be in the top 100, or even 200, but do you know where 2002-2003 Minnesota State be?
            The '02-03 Mavs finished at #355 with 64.4907 points. Just ahead of them at #354 was the '94-95 Clarkson squad. Just below them at #356 was the '75-76 National Champions Minnesota.

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            I'm glad you enjoyed it. As Priceless mentioned, the '98-99 squad had a tremendous goalie, capable of keeping any team in check. Just about any matchup in this tournament is a tossup. The Maine squad had a 51.35% chance of victory, and they barely squeaked it out. IMO, any game decided by more than a goal in these early matchups (not counting ENG) is an outlier of sorts. Even the '77-78 DU/BU matchup (#69 DU vs. #11 BU) is relatively even. BU would only be a roughly 60/40 favorite. As promised, I'll make sure and run that matchup for you after the tournament...just remind me at that time.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FS23

Great simulation tournament! If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to link this thread to my website (we do simulated tournaments for hockey, football, basketball, baseball). Not trying to steal any thunder...eventually we'll do a College Hockey Greats with only 8 teams. Still need to locate stats for 1960-61 Denver. This won't be as grand a scale as your tournament.

I had a question: I found an old all-time rankings of yours (sometime last year) to round out the field of 8. I had the 1977-78 BU squad with a 30-2 record in the field. I noticed you had the 2008-09 BU team ranked above them. Is that a strength of schedule thing that placed the latter team ahead of the former? 1978 Terriers were loaded with talent...just curious...may have to have a "play-in" to see who gets in.

Thanks again and let my know about the link...keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                The '87-'88 SLU squad ranked #153 All-Time. They totaled 118.6044 points, about 20 points behind the #100 squad ('02-'03 UNH). To put it into perspective, the #152 team is the '88-'89 LSSU squad, and the #154 team is the '09-'10 BC squad.

'90-'91 NMU is #5. I had to use "No. Michigan" for NMU. I did not rank the '81-'82 NMU squad. They were 15-21-0, and missed the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps it was a different squad that you were thinking of?
                Wasn't the 1981-82 North Dakota team a strong club? Maybe it was them instead of NMU....very cool tournament...love the creativity and detail

Comment

I could always do a "best of" Tournament, featuring the top team from each of the 59 schools. Perhaps following this tournament.
                  Would some of those schools have a play-in tournament to determine which team represents them in the inter-school tournament?

You have some schools who might have multiple contenders for that one slot...do you take Cornell with Dryden or Cornell's perfect season team the year after Dryden graduated? the latter might "only" have a 56% - 44% chance of winning that game (or some similar number), no?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Would some of those schools have a play-in tournament to determine which team represents them in the inter-school tournament?

You have some schools who might have multiple contenders for that one slot...do you take Cornell with Dryden or Cornell's perfect season team the year after Dryden graduated? the latter might "only" have a 56% - 44% chance of winning that game (or some similar number), no?
                    Or better yet, since there are currently 59 Div I teams, how about adding 5 teams who no longer play Division I hockey (Wayne State, Illinois Chicago, Pennsylvania, etc.) and making it a field of 64?

Comment

Or better yet, since there are currently 59 Div I teams, how about adding 5 teams who no longer play Division I hockey (Wayne State, Illinois Chicago, Pennsylvania, etc.) and making it a field of 64?
                      Certainly could add the best seasons of Wayne State, Findlay, Illinois Chicago, Fairfield and Iona.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyC67 View Post
                        FS23

Great simulation tournament! If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to link this thread to my website (we do simulated tournaments for hockey, football, basketball, baseball). Not trying to steal any thunder...eventually we'll do a College Hockey Greats with only 8 teams. Still need to locate stats for 1960-61 Denver. This won't be as grand a scale as your tournament.

I had a question: I found an old all-time rankings of yours (sometime last year) to round out the field of 8. I had the 1977-78 BU squad with a 30-2 record in the field. I noticed you had the 2008-09 BU team ranked above them. Is that a strength of schedule thing that placed the latter team ahead of the former? 1978 Terriers were loaded with talent...just curious...may have to have a "play-in" to see who gets in.

Thanks again and let my know about the link...keep up the good work
                        I have no problem with linking to this thread. I can't imagine USCHO would either, but I don't speak for them.

As for your question, the '08-09 BU and '77-78 BU squads were very close in the rankings, and the biggest reason why the '08-09 squad ranked slightly higher was due to the fact that they won their Conference Tournament, while the '77-78 squad did not (Finished 3rd). The two teams SOS numbers were very similar, and didn't really have a huge effect on their differing point totals. Had the '77-78 squad won their conference tournament, they would have likely been in the top 5.

Originally posted by JimmyC67 View Post
                        Wasn't the 1981-82 North Dakota team a strong club? Maybe it was them instead of NMU....very cool tournament...love the creativity and detail
                        '81-82 UND was a very good squad (#65 on my list), but they tend to get overshadowed by the '79-80 team (#23) somewhat, and definitely by the '86-87 team (#4).
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

We could have a play-in to decide. Perhaps take the top 2 teams from each school, and square them off in a best of 3 series.

This is possible, but it would require me to get a bunch of data that I don't really have. I would need detailed media guides from each of the schools to begin to compile the data. I could probably do Wayne State, Iona, and Findlay, but I don't have the requisite info from schools like UIC, Penn, Kent, etc.

Most likely, I would just give the top 5 schools byes. Although, if I can get the information, I would be willing to at least attempt to include those schools...Wayne State being the easiest because they actually had a team make the NCAA Tournament, and they are already ranked in my formula (#536).
                          North Dakota

Comment

Game today (2001-2002 UNH vs. 1994-1995 Michigan) will likely have a puck drop of 2:00pm Eastern.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Game today (2001-2002 UNH vs. 1994-1995 Michigan) will likely have a puck drop of 2:00pm Eastern.
                              Come on Billy Muckalt!
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Come on Billy Muckalt!
                                The 1994-1995 Michigan Roster was loaded...didn't realize that prior to doing this formula/ranking. You had Brendan Morrison, John Madden, Mike Knuble, Marty Turco, Bill Mcukalt, and Blake Sloan...plus another handful of guys that all had at least a couple dozen games in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if this squad put up close to 4500-5000 NHL games combined...pretty darn impressive.

And they'll be the slight underdog in the game.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X