Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Thanks. I figured I'll bring in some of the "hit bands" from around the time of the home team to sing the national anthem.

that's a great idea! have a Pep Band tournament too. I'd expect the school whose Pep Band was recognized by Sports Illustrated to do really well in that!
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Perhaps, I missed an explanation, but can someone explain how an upset can occur in this tournament?
      Pretty easily actually. For example, based on their ranking and point value, Michigan State was only a 51.72% favorite to win the game. That means that in 100 games played, They will likely win 52, while Minnesota will win 48. The simulator plays the game out based largely on the formula, but also on certain characteristics of teams (ex. how often they take penalties, how good each team's powerplay/penalty kill is, etc.). Basically, I input the data that the simulator requires, and it then spits back to me a box score of sorts. I then relay that box score back in the form of updates.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        I think an upset just happened, a #71 beat a #58.
        Yeah, he asked how, not if.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Pretty easily actually. For example, based on their ranking and point value, Michigan State was only a 51.72% favorite to win the game. That means that in 100 games played, They will likely win 52, while Minnesota will win 48. The simulator plays the game out based largely on the formula, but also on certain characteristics of teams (ex. how often they take penalties, how good each team's powerplay/penalty kill is, etc.). Basically, I input the data that the simulator requires, and it then spits back to me a box score of sorts. I then relay that box score back in the form of updates.
          I don't know if anyone (else) is of an age to remember the old Strat-O-Matic simulator (cards with odds on them and a set of dice). Every now and then someone might roll a low probability score several times in a row....like playing backgammon when you're way ahead and then the other player gets doubles three times out the next four rolls.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I don't know if anyone (else) is of an age to remember the old Strat-O-Matic simulator (cards with odds on them and a set of dice). Every now and then someone might roll a low probability score several times in a row....like playing backgammon when you're way ahead and then the other player gets doubles three times out the next four rolls.
            I still play stratomatic baseball on through their website...used to be on sportingnews.com but they moved last year. 2012 baseball cards should be out soon!
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              Yeah, he asked how, not if.
              Thanks, I read it wrong.

Comment

The next game that will be done will be between the 2004-2005 BC Eagles (#63) and the 2006-2007 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (#66) at Madison Square Garden. No word yet on puck drop (Sometime between Saturday and Monday). The winner will move on to play the 1969-1970 Cornell Big Red (#2).
                North Dakota

Comment

The next game that will be done will be between the 2004-2005 BC Eagles (#63) and the 2006-2007 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (#66) at Madison Square Garden. No word yet on puck drop (Sometime between Saturday and Monday). The winner will move on to play the 1969-1970 Cornell Big Red (#2).
                  That's a long time to keep the guys in the locker rooms.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Thank You. I admire your ingenuity and dedication.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Sounds like BU in Cincinnati .... PIZZA!!
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well, that BC team hasn't played in nearly 8 years, and the Irish squad hasn't played in nearly 6 years. I think they can manage.
                        North Dakota

Comment

As for the '80-'81 squad, they finished #242 (89.3969 Points). #241 was '55-'56 SLU, and #243 was '07-'08 BC.
                          Where did the 09-10 RIT squad end up?

Powers &8^]

Comment

I would love to see a match-up between the 77/78 DU and BU squads as the NCAA prevented that from ever happening.

Its a great day for Islander fans as Ricky has been waived. Will be sent to Bridgeport once he clears waivers.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              Where did the 09-10 RIT squad end up?

Powers &8^]
                              #282. They finished with 79.7507 points. Right ahead of them at #281 was the '63-'64 Providence Friars, and at #283 was the '08-'09 Miami Redhawks.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                I would love to see a match-up between the 77/78 DU and BU squads as the NCAA prevented that from ever happening.

Its a great day for Islander fans as Ricky has been waived. Will be sent to Bridgeport once he clears waivers.
                                That would require these two teams to meet in the Title game, so that's a hefty proposition. Maybe after the tournament is done, I'll square those two off and tell you how it went.

As for Ricky...it's about time. That contract was poisonous.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X