Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Womens Big Ten???

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
    On what grounds? I doubt that the Big 10 conference is even subject to Title IX regulation. Title IX is education law and universities are subject to it because they are educational institutions that receive direct federal funding. The Big 10 itself is not. Even if it were I have a hard time seeing a case that could be made.

The confusion about what Title IX actually says and does drives me crazy sometimes.
    About opportunities not being equal.....remember the lawsuit filed that moved the MN Girls HS Hockey Tourney to the Xcel Center....lawsuits often have little to do with what makes sense, but rather perceived inequities.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      A little time is a dangerous thing when you're speculating, so here is a potential new league alignment if Big Ten forms a conference with MSU and UM. Sucks for CHA, Sacred Heart, and Holy Cross but if the CHA wants to maintain an autobid they have really no choice unless other schools declare Division 1. At least Holy Cross and Sacred Heart are natural travel partners if they want to schedule that way:

ECAC – Stays the same – same lineup in mens and womens and everyone is pretty happy

Hockey East
      • Providence
      • Connecticut
      • Boston College
      • Boston University
      • New Hampshire
      • Maine
      • Vermont
      • Northeastern
      • Merrimack (remember they have already declared they are joining)
      • Maybe another school (U Mass Amherst or U Mass Lowell?)

Big Ten
      • Ohio State
      • Minnesota
      • Wisconsin
      • Penn State
      • Michigan
      • Michigan State

Western Conference
      • Minnesota State
      • Minnesota – Duluth
      • Bemidji State
      • St Cloud State
      • North Dakota
      • Lindenwood

College Hockey America
      • RIT
      • Mercyhurst
      • Robert Morris
      • Syracuse
      • Holy Cross (at some point they have to join a Division 1 conference if they are serious and they aren't getting into Hockey East anytime soon with the rink they have)
      • Sacred Heart (same deal as Holy Cross - they aren't getting into Hockey East for different reasons - especially with Bobby Valentine as AD after what he did to the Red Sox!!)
      • Others ….

And there is still room for the Fighting Ill...Ambiguities if they want to join the Big Ten.... Comment away.
      Time is coming for realignment. I agree with the above, however, I think the Ivies will part company with the ECAC seeking their own autobid as the NCAA field expands to 12 teams. Have heard that things are afoot in the CHA/Atlantic and we can expect some big changes in the next five years. (Was told the same several years ago, but the Great Recession put the kibosh on schools adding or moving up.)

IVY LEAGUE
      Brown
      Cornell
      Dartmouth
      Harvard
      Princeton
      Yale
      (C'mon Penn, stop wasting a great barn and move into the 21st century)

ECAC
      Clarkson
      Colgate
      RPI
      St. Lawrence
      Quinnipiac
      Union

ATLANTIC
      Bentley
      Mercyhurst
      RIT
      Holy Cross
      Syracuse
      Robert Morris
      (St. Anselm could be in this mix as well)

Comment

College Hockey America
        • RIT
        • Mercyhurst
        • Robert Morris
        • Syracuse
        • Holy Cross (at some point they have to join a Division 1 conference if they are serious and they aren't getting into Hockey East anytime soon with the rink they have)
        • Sacred Heart (same deal as Holy Cross - they aren't getting into Hockey East for different reasons - especially with Bobby Valentine as AD after what he did to the Red Sox!!)
        • Others ….
        If Holy Cross and Sacred Heart had any interest in joining a D-I conference, they would have done so years ago. They don't.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
          And RIT and Syracuse could join the ECAC which is more their geographic footprint anyway.
          That's nice of you to say, but the ECAC is already at twelve teams.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            That's nice of you to say, but the ECAC is already at twelve teams.

Powers &8^]
            Is there a rule against a league having more than 12 teams?

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              If Holy Cross and Sacred Heart had any interest in joining a D-I conference, they would have done so years ago. They don't.

Powers &8^]
              Blissful ignorance. They both applied to the ECAC when they were filling out the league after Vermont left, but the ECAC picked Quinnipiac instead. Holy Cross also has applied to Hockey East but their rink is not in compliance with the league requirements regarding seating capacity. They both want in to a league, they just can't get in to the ones that make geographic sense....and rinks are an issue for both. But in the scenario I posted, the 4 programs remaining in the CHA will be desperate to keep their autobid and overlook the deficiencies of Holy Cross and Sacred Heart to get back to 6 teams.
              Last edited by HockeyEast33; 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Is there a rule against a league having more than 12 teams?
                No, but why would they - 14 teams and only one autobid? Also, all the ECAC teams have both a men's and women's team and Syracuse has no men's team. The ECAC won't take a one gender program anymore and they aren't going to take on an odd number of teams by adding just 1 program (RIT). Agree with Lt on this one - don't see it.

Comment

I don'tnow why I'm even wasting time responding to a bottom feeder who only wants to dish trash..................so I won't

Comment

- PSU added women's hockey with men's hockey because they had to to maintain Title IX compliance and (I believe) because the donor who financed the rink required it - it had little to do with politics.
                    Actually they were considering several other womens sports instead of hockey which would have maintained TITLE IX. Lots of schools have men's hockey and not womens and are still NCAA compliant. It was not a condition of the donation.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                      As the CCHA transitions to the Big Ten, isn't about time it's teams establish women's teams? I was disappointed that in light of his daughter being a prospective student/athelete, that Tom Anaatos didin't lead an effort to develop women's teams. The mid-west colleges & universities are years behind the rest of D1 women's hockey. how many even have club teams?
                      See my posts in the college hockey expansion thread about Michigan. They will have a program by the end of the decade.
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        See my posts in the college hockey expansion thread about Michigan. They will have a program by the end of the decade.
                        Five more years of Red?
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Actually they were considering several other womens sports instead of hockey which would have maintained TITLE IX. Lots of schools have men's hockey and not womens and are still NCAA compliant. It was not a condition of the donation.
                          Yes and many of those schools are in "hockey hot beds" too. Denver, Michigan, Notre Dame, BOSTON.........
                          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Working...
                          X