Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Discuss.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Cornell & Colgate (2/22, 2/23)

Not much to discuss-we need to win 2 games in very hostile rinks where we hav enot had great success. We will fin dout if this team with 8 straight League wins can get int there, win and get out. Just do it!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Not much to discuss-we need to win 2 games in very hostile rinks where we hav enot had great success. We will fin dout if this team with 8 straight League wins can get int there, win and get out. Just do it!
      Yeah, not much success there last year.

I don't even know who the opponent is. Let's just play our game.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Pay attention to the details and skate our game. We'll play whoever's next on the schedule. (I'm not going all existential on you, just saying that when you make it a habit to be prepared, you're ready...)

Any word on O'Grady or Tinordi's health? A poster on yesterday's thread suggested there may be some updated news on Tinordi's injury.
        Last edited by fr joe; 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM.
        Here we come!

Comment

Yeah, not much success there last year.

FD: You absolutely cannot be so short sighted-have you looked back over the history of playing in Starr and Lynah? Jen and i sat through a couple years where we were not even close to a win. Very tough places to play-much like SLU and CCT where it seems the officiating is sometimes determined by the sound of the crowd. All you have to do is think back a few years to a playoff game done by Murphy and Kotyra to see what can happen. We are on a powerhouse roll right ow and should be able to deal with this-but strange things happen in this league. it will be interesting to see who we draw as officials for th eweekend and how the calls go. This past weekend we had 8 total popwer plays against us ( i think) and most all of them were deserved-although the call on Curadi tonight was just miserable. If they let us play next weekend we can do just fine.

Comment

This is certainly not going to be an easy weekend, but considering the way we are playing and the way our opponents have been playing, we should at least go in with a confident attitude.
            I am sure that SA is going to rip into the guys this week, reminding them of how we played against Yale and how lucky we were to come away with a win. I don't want this team to get to high.
            They can take no one for granted, but it doesn't mean that they can't play with confidence.
            We need to continue the "process" and we will be fine.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              This is certainly not going to be an easy weekend, but considering the way we are playing and the way our opponents have been playing, we should at least go in with a confident attitude.
              I am sure that SA is going to rip into the guys this week, reminding them of how we played against Yale and how lucky we were to come away with a win. I don't want this team to get to high.
              They can take no one for granted, but it doesn't mean that they can't play with confidence.
              We need to continue the "process" and we will be fine.
              EHF: Maybe this is semantics, but "lucky" to beat Yale? We manhandled the first 10 minutes, they took the next 30, and then we stomped them in the last 20. Why the suggestion that we got outplayed? Maybe a case of getting spoiled over having 60 minute efforts in most of the other games in this win streak!

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                EHF: Maybe this is semantics, but "lucky" to beat Yale? We manhandled the first 10 minutes, they took the next 30, and then we stomped them in the last 20. Why the suggestion that we got outplayed? Maybe a case of getting spoiled over having 60 minute efforts in most of the other games in this win streak!
                I don't know what game you watched but I was at the game tonight. They beat us in face offs, shots, and if they keep count of puck control I would assume that too. Granted we earned this win tonight but there is no way we stomped them in the 3rd. Yes we scored 3 goals, 1 an empty net, but I don't even think the guys would say we stomped them in the 3rd. Although Bailens goal was nice I was more impressed with Zalweski's goal as it was a well earn goal for both him a Bubela who both fought hard in the corner to win the puck battle that created it.

Comment

FD: You absolutely cannot be so short sighted-have you looked back over the history of playing in Starr and Lynah? Jen and i sat through a couple years where we were not even close to a win. Very tough places to play-much like SLU and CCT where it seems the officiating is sometimes determined by the sound of the crowd. All you have to do is think back a few years to a playoff game done by Murphy and Kotyra to see what can happen. We are on a powerhouse roll right ow and should be able to deal with this-but strange things happen in this league. it will be interesting to see who we draw as officials for th eweekend and how the calls go. This past weekend we had 8 total popwer plays against us ( i think) and most all of them were deserved-although the call on Curadi tonight was just miserable. If they let us play next weekend we can do just fine.
                  From the tone of what I read, it seems like you're already writing us off. The games must still be played. We did OK against Kotyra last night. After what happened at HFH, the Cornell players will think twice about coming near one of the RPI checkers, especially someone like Curadi or Greg B. Does this mean that events outside the team's game play could disrupt the flow of the game? It's possible. Heck, even in last year's game at Lynah, we took 6 penalties, and they took 1. At RPI this year, power plays were 5-3 in their favour with one being a major. I don't recall us losing either of those games, though. The point is that the boys need to focus on their game that they play.

Comment

The second period was one of the sloppiest I've watched all year. The point is that we need to be consistent and play 65 minutes each night.

Comment

From the tone of what I read, it seems like you're already writing us off. The games must still be played. We did OK against Kotyra last night. After what happened at HFH, the Cornell players will think twice about coming near one of the RPI checkers, especially someone like Curadi or Greg B. Does this mean that events outside the team's game play could disrupt the flow of the game? It's possible. Heck, even in last year's game at Lynah, we took 6 penalties, and they took 1. At RPI this year, power plays were 5-3 in their favour with one being a major. I don't recall us losing either of those games, though. The point is that the boys need to focus on their game that they play.
                      Dude-Just pointing out that our history at those 2 rinks, even when we have had great and near great teams is that we have a tough time. Sure we have now won 8 straight ECAC league games-and I think that is supe special. But how many have been away from HFH? Road games in the ECAC can be an entirely different thing. We did OK with Kotyra last night-I do not know why-from past history I had expected him to find a way to wave off our first goal. We played smart and gave him little to call-but the penalty on Luke late n the game was total bull. This is a very even and tough league. Cornell and Colgate have not had the best of the last couple months but they are no easier to play that anyone else especially in their rinks. I have written off nothing-but i ma taking nothing for granted either. Right now i would worry about every opponent the same way-we have to make sure we play our best game and we did that against brown but we did not do it for long periods of time againt Yale. We need to keep winning if we have any hope for moving up in the PWR at all-we do not have the luxury of playing any more high ranking teams. Any faltering on this next road trip and a lot of what we have worked for will be set back a little. I want us to go into these 2 rinks, play our style, win, have no injuries, and get on the bus on come home-no more and no less.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                        I don't know what game you watched but I was at the game tonight. They beat us in face offs, shots, and if they keep count of puck control I would assume that too. Granted we earned this win tonight but there is no way we stomped them in the 3rd. Yes we scored 3 goals, 1 an empty net, but I don't even think the guys would say we stomped them in the 3rd. Although Bailens goal was nice I was more impressed with Zalweski's goal as it was a well earn goal for both him a Bubela who both fought hard in the corner to win the puck battle that created it.
                        I pretyy much saw what you did-we had Yale on the ropes early-but either we let them back in the game or they just stepped everything up a notch. My take was that Bailen's goal was the game-and it was set up by an exceptional pass right on the tape diagonally across the ice. Laliberte kept control of the puck, waited for the opportunity, and found the perfect man in the perfect spot. In some other games that kind of move could be lost in shuffle as there are often many good plays. But this was a hard nosed close checking game and at 1-1 it made all the difference in the world. Make no mistake about it-we beat a very good team last night and yale will almmost certainly be playing late in the season.

Comment

I pretyy much saw what you did-we had Yale on the ropes early-but either we let them back in the game or they just stepped everything up a notch. My take was that Bailen's goal was the game-and it was set up by an exceptional pass right on the tape diagonally across the ice. Laliberte kept control of the puck, waited for the opportunity, and found the perfect man in the perfect spot. In some other games that kind of move could be lost in shuffle as there are often many good plays. But this was a hard nosed close checking game and at 1-1 it made all the difference in the world. Make no mistake about it-we beat a very good team last night and yale will almmost certainly be playing late in the season.
                          Yes I think that goal took some of the wind out of their sails especially since they were dominating us. Just like it use to do to us earlier in the season. We would play a good 5 or so minutes looking totally in control and then whoops one defensive mistake and the other team would score. I think one of the differences now for us has been Kazzy in net. I really hope he stays at least through his junior year if not all 4.

Comment

You are right, lucky was a poor choice of words, but we didn't play our best offensively and gave a lot of time and space to Yale. But we played great defense and kept them outside. We should give credit to the defensive side of the ice and of course the goaltender. A good win by any standards.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              You are right, lucky was a poor choice of words, but we didn't play our best offensively and gave a lot of time and space to Yale. But we played great defense and kept them outside. We should give credit to the defensive side of the ice and of course the goaltender. A good win by any standards.
                              We played very well defensively-albeit with a couple lapses. There was one little innocuous play that I saw that made me laugh. Mid game there was a smallish Yale forward who was fighting along the left boards for the puck and Luke came into the fray and with one forearm and some shoulder action just flipped him off the puck and down like he was swatting a fly. It was not a crucial play, it did not involve any sort of penalty worthy action, it was just a little diversion in the play. But I am sure some noticed it(especially the forward who got the brush off).

And for those who follow the Kotyra factor-he really was tolerable yesterday and for once I have to admit he did not greatly affect the outcome. Although he does always seem to be involved in some way in the games we play when we are put down 2 men for any extended amount of time. This time it appeared from TV viewing that we deserved to have both penalties.

Comment

Working...
                              X