No announcement yet.

USA Hockey grows by 326k players in last 25 years and adds 10 more D1 programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Hockey grows by 326k players in last 25 years and adds 10 more D1 programs

College Hockey growth is not really keeping up with player participation growth:

Adult Players: 31,000
    Youth Players: 154,000
    Female Players: 2,500
    Total Players: 185,000

Adult Players: 155,756
    Youth Players: 355,422
    Female Players: 66,692
    Total Players: 511,175

Number of NCAA Programs
    1987-88
    Men’s Division I: 49
    Men’s Division II: 16
    Men’s Division III: 63
    Total Men’s Programs: 128
    Women’s Division I: 0
    Women’s Division III: 0
    Total Women’s Programs: 0

2012-2013
    Men’s Division I: 59
    Men’s Division II: 6
    Men’s Division III: 72
    Total Men’s Programs: 137
    Women’s Division I: 34
    Women’s Division III: 49
    Total Women’s Programs: 83

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...ears_FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by Hockey Monk; 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM.

Re: USA Hockey grows by 326k players in last 25 years and adds 10 more D1 programs

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post
    College Hockey growth is not really keeping up with player participation growth:

Adult Players: 31,000
    Youth Players: 154,000
    Female Players: 2,500
    Total Players: 185,000

Adult Players: 155,756
    Youth Players: 355,422
    Female Players: 66,692
    Total Players: 511,175

Number of NCAA Programs
    1987-88
    Men’s Division I: 49
    Men’s Division II: 6
    Men’s Division III: 63
    Total Men’s Programs: 128
    Women’s Division I: 0
    Women’s Division III: 0
    Total Women’s Programs: 0

2012-2013
    Men’s Division I: 59
    Men’s Division II:16
    Men’s Division III: 72
    Total Men’s Programs: 137
    Women’s Division I: 34
    Women’s Division III: 49
    Total Women’s Programs: 83

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...ears_FINAL.pdf
    Comparing with the link, you have the number of D-II programs reversed.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re: USA Hockey grows by 326k players in last 25 years and adds 10 more D1 programs

What you fail to realize in this less than useful analysis is that there are 34 more and 49 more Women's D1 and D3 teams respectively. Women are also counted in USA Hockey registrations. So by adding EIGHTY THREE hockey programs do you think College Hockey growth has kept up?

Ok then.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        What you fail to realize in this less than useful analysis is that there are 34 more and 49 more Women's D1 and D3 teams respectively. Women are also counted in USA Hockey registrations. So by adding EIGHTY THREE hockey programs do you think College Hockey growth has kept up?
        Good point, but that's a little misleading too. RIT, for instance, has played varsity women's hockey since 1975; that's not invalidated just because the NCAA didn't sanction the competition.

Powers &8^]

Comment

No, it hasn't. There is about one women's NC$$ program for every 800 female players. If there were a new men's program for every additional 800 youth players (and I'll assume that all women players are youth for the sake of argument), there would be 171 new men's NC$$ programs. 288,430 male youth players 2012, 151,500 male youth players 1988. 136,930 additional male youth players divided by 800. So, no, the growth in youth players has clearly not kept up with player participation growth. In 1988 there was one college program for every 1200 youth players. That number is now down to over 1600 kids per college program.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Ok then.
            Yes but I was focusing on D1 Men's program as that is what this board is about. The USA grows by 326k players in 25 years and only 10 D1 Hockey programs are added? That is sad. Several D1 schools in America would not only do well with hockey but could turn a profit unlike the majority of sports that are a drain on the school. USA hockey needs to educate these schools and if any school is considering going D1 in hockey USA Hockey should be all over it. Maybe even start a fund for people to donate for those schools that are borderline.

Comment

Yes but I was focusing on D1 Men's program as that is what this board is about. The USA grows by 326k players in 25 years and only 10 D1 Hockey programs are added? That is sad. Several D1 schools in America would not only do well with hockey but could turn a profit unlike the majority of sports that are a drain on the school. USA hockey needs to educate these schools and if any school is considering going D1 in hockey USA Hockey should be all over it. Maybe even start a fund for people to donate for those schools that are borderline.
              I don't know about USA Hockey, but College Hockey, Inc. is indeed "all over" schools that are considering adding D-I hockey. The problem is that it's an expensive proposition in most cases. They will need a rink, and scholarships, and fairly expensive gear. Colleges aren't exactly lining up to add any sport; hockey is hardly unique in that respect. And lacrosse is much cheaper if they are.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                I don't know about USA Hockey, but College Hockey, Inc. is indeed "all over" schools that are considering adding D-I hockey. The problem is that it's an expensive proposition in most cases. They will need a rink, and scholarships, and fairly expensive gear. Colleges aren't exactly lining up to add any sport; hockey is hardly unique in that respect. And lacrosse is much cheaper if they are.

Powers &8^]
                Hockey could actually turn a profit at some schools......LAX cant. In this day and age of the bottom line and branding ice hockey carries much more weight.

Comment

Hockey right now is having trouble making money at the collegiate level (see: bubble teams like UAH and BGSU, one of which is in a hockey-oriented area of the nation).

Follow the dollar, you will find your answer. Oh, and Title IX.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hockey could actually turn a profit at some schools......LAX cant.
                    Then why are more teams adding Lacrosse than adding Ice Hockey?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                    X