Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine - BU = Pretty Sad

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I was at the "1" game, sucked but I too think it propelled Maine to win it all. The next night was one of the most thorough beat downs I've ever witnessed. The best part was the crowd, Maine fans were some ****ed and there were a couple of BU fans standing near me, I'm pretty sure they were family of one of the players. Younger brother and sister and another friend. They thought they were going to win on Saturday also. They had a big sign taunting the Maine crowd near them. Once Maine got a big lead, Maine fans started taunting them until someone ran up and took the kids sign, cops had to come break it up. I think the next year when BU came to Alfond the runway was covered with a blue tarp, didn't want stuff to get thrown at the BU players. Good stuff, I still love to hate BU but with Maine sucking so much the last few years, I really can't too excited any more. In fact I'm not even going tonight, Maine sucks, they aren't even entertaining, other than Joey, Jake and Marty. I might go tomorrow, depending on what the ol' lady wants to do.
    Jeez Wally. You're not a true fan.

Comment

I was at the "1" game, sucked but I too think it propelled Maine to win it all. The next night was one of the most thorough beat downs I've ever witnessed. The best part was the crowd, Maine fans were some ****ed and there were a couple of BU fans standing near me, I'm pretty sure they were family of one of the players. Younger brother and sister and another friend. They thought they were going to win on Saturday also. They had a big sign taunting the Maine crowd near them. Once Maine got a big lead, Maine fans started taunting them until someone ran up and took the kids sign, cops had to come break it up.
      Again, I have a slightly different recollection. The crowd the next night sucked - in particular the crowd in the upper bowl. I went so far as to provide them with the words to the Stein Song and encouraged them to sing along. Lot of good that did. We were up 2-0 and BU scored. It was dead silent, with the exception of a handful of BU fans down in the corner. I was in my box at the top of the stands filming the game, turned to my friend and said, "Why am I even hearing them? What is this, Walter Brown Arena?" My voice carried and everyone in the upper bowl on that side heard me. Dozens of heads turned and I wondered if I could rappel down the back wall using the video cable. Fortunately just then the Naked Five came by to rally the fans and then the Ferraro twins teamed up for a goal and we never looked back. The 1991-92 renovation was the worst thing that happened to Maine hockey, from a fan perspective. You watch AlFond Memories and Shawn talks about how raucous the fans were, how the noise was deafening after a timeout or a TV break...we never got that back, even when we were going through a 42-1-2 season.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        Me too then. Its been at least 15 years since I have missed a game at Maine, single, double or even Sunday afternoon.
        Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
          Originally posted by BU2K View Post
          Me too then. Its been at least 15 years since I have missed a game at Maine, single, double or even Sunday afternoon.
          You may miss a few games; that doesn't diminish your status as a fan. When you start hoping for your program to get embarrassed on national TV or to finish 8th so they can get "schooled" by Boston College, then you generally aren't a true fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            The 1991-92 renovation was the worst thing that happened to Maine hockey, from a fan perspective. .
            I agree, I swear some of my hearing loss is a result of home games at Alfond pre the renovation. God it was loud in there.

Priceless
            Was it 92 93 that you were walking to scorers box pregame and slipped and hit your head? Didn't you get carted off after the fall? I think it was you?
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

That Frozen Four was the only one that featured the top four teams of the decade: Maine, BU, Lake State and Michigan. Those four teams were so far above everyone else in the rankings.
              Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Me thinks you is mistaken.... I don't read "boston college" anywhere there...
              As I am sure you are aware, Boston College sucked in those years
              Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Again, mistaken!!!! bc best ever!
              I was just watching the 95 NCAA Championship game highlights (What can I say, Some people learn a new language, others read fine literature, . . . ) and the announcer goes, "Hockey East is going to have to improve as a league. Right now it's only BU and Maine. They need the other teams, Northeastern, Boston College, to be relevant on the national stage" or something like that.
              Bugs Bunny - 96
              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                I was just watching the 95 NCAA Championship game highlights (What can I say, Some people learn a new language, others read fine literature, . . . ) and the announcer goes, "Hockey East is going to have to improve as a league. Right now it's only BU and Maine. They need the other teams, Northeastern, Boston College, to be relevant on the national stage" or something like that.
                BC finished in the lower half of the standings from 1992 to 1996, if memory serves. Once the Emma-Heinze-McGinnis group left, there was very little talent left. BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU) but had good talent leftover and coming in (some guy named Kariya showed up after one gap year). BC had guys named Callahan, Hymovitz, and Sparrow.

Am I right that Maine lost guys? I recall reading somewhere how thrilled was that Jean-Yves Roy did not make the Canadian Olympic team, so maybe he was back.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Starman is a CBSS guy, not an NBCS guy, right? I don't think I can take three hours of "Jam" and Escobedo man-love.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I agree, I swear some of my hearing loss is a result of home games at Alfond pre the renovation. God it was loud in there.

Priceless
                    Was it 92 93 that you were walking to scorers box pregame and slipped and hit your head? Didn't you get carted off after the fall? I think it was you?
                    That wasn't me. I was located on the other side of the arena. "My box" is the blue structure at the top of sec BB.

A friend of mine was staying in Corbett Hall, across from the arena, back in 1989 when Maine was playing the epic double OT game against Providence. He knew Maine had won because he could hear the crowd explode - even though his window was closed. That will never happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      BC finished in the lower half of the standings from 1992 to 1996, if memory serves. Once the Emma-Heinze-McGinnis group left, there was very little talent left. BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU) but had good talent leftover and coming in (some guy named Kariya showed up after one gap year). BC had guys named Callahan, Hymovitz, and Sparrow.

Am I right that Maine lost guys? I recall reading somewhere how thrilled was that Jean-Yves Roy did not make the Canadian Olympic team, so maybe he was back.
                      JY did not make the Olympic team that year, as he was cut in mid-September. He was still their leading scorer when we played them October 19. As I recall, the only player we lost was Keith Carney in 1991-92. The next year we lost Scott Pellerin, Martin Robitaille and Brian Downey, plus Roy went pro with the Rangers...but we managed to replace them....

Comment

Roy and Keith Carney left after the 92 season, both could have played in 92-93

Comment

BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU)...
                          BU also sent adrian aucoin to the CAD olympic team
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yeah, when Robittaile (sp) scored that game winner backhand against Providence and BBG boback gaudreau ______ line, the roof came off the building. It was an epic win.
                            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                              Yeah, when Robittaile (sp) scored that game winner against Providence and BBG boback gaudreau ______ line, the roof came off the building. It was an epic win.
                              I was at that game also, no wonder todays teams just don't cut it

Comment

I was at that game also, no wonder todays teams just don't cut it
                                Yeah, that was an NCAA quarterfinal game iirc and Providence was on fire coming into that game and were favored to win it. Oh yeah, Bennett was the other member of that line. Good times.
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X