PDA

View Full Version : Maine - BU = Pretty Sad

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

mookie1995
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Little known fact: If you go to the Conte Forum and mention the name "Steve Cedorchuk" security kicks you out.

Are you sure?!?

I thought they kept his "national coach of the year" trophy right next to the 1941 football national title trophy

KnowItAll
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
The key phrase there is "true fan."

January 31, 1992. That was my first game filming for Maine. That game was incredible.

BS.. it is not that true fans love the current players less, it is that we love the program more.

Bomber
02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
That Frozen Four was the only one that featured the top four teams of the decade: Maine, BU, Lake State and Michigan. Those four teams were so far above everyone else in the rankings.

I have a slightly different recollection of that game :p but it was one for the ages. BU got at least one fluky goal (the fourth one was a pass that deflected off Matt Martin's skate) during the comeback. Pomichter wasn't even supposed to play that game. He and Martin Mercier were suspended by Hockey East for their fight at WBA in November, but both Jack and Shawn appealed to Hockey East and got the suspension lifted. I remember before the game in the locker room Shawn pointed out that fact and shared his belief that Mercier was much more valuable to us than Pomichter...ooops.

I do think that loss helped propel us to the championship that year. If you had heard the speech Jim Montgomery gave in the locker room after that loss you'd think we were a .500 team fighting for a playoff position. The bus ride over to the Garden for the Hockey East Final the team was pretty loose. Shawn got on the microphone, just said, "All eyes up front" and played the video compilation of BU's 7 goals that night. Not another word was spoken from the bus all the way to the locker rooms. I miss those days.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

mookie1995
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

He didn't publically share Monty's quotes though... "Nobody steals our puddin'!!"

walrus
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
I was at the "1" game, sucked but I too think it propelled Maine to win it all. The next night was one of the most thorough beat downs I've ever witnessed. The best part was the crowd, Maine fans were some ****ed and there were a couple of BU fans standing near me, I'm pretty sure they were family of one of the players. Younger brother and sister and another friend. They thought they were going to win on Saturday also. They had a big sign taunting the Maine crowd near them. Once Maine got a big lead, Maine fans started taunting them until someone ran up and took the kids sign, cops had to come break it up. I think the next year when BU came to Alfond the runway was covered with a blue tarp, didn't want stuff to get thrown at the BU players. Good stuff, I still love to hate BU but with Maine sucking so much the last few years, I really can't too excited any more. In fact I'm not even going tonight, Maine sucks, they aren't even entertaining, other than Joey, Jake and Marty. I might go tomorrow, depending on what the ol' lady wants to do.

ck1969
02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I was at the "1" game, sucked but I too think it propelled Maine to win it all. The next night was one of the most thorough beat downs I've ever witnessed. The best part was the crowd, Maine fans were some ****ed and there were a couple of BU fans standing near me, I'm pretty sure they were family of one of the players. Younger brother and sister and another friend. They thought they were going to win on Saturday also. They had a big sign taunting the Maine crowd near them. Once Maine got a big lead, Maine fans started taunting them until someone ran up and took the kids sign, cops had to come break it up. I think the next year when BU came to Alfond the runway was covered with a blue tarp, didn't want stuff to get thrown at the BU players. Good stuff, I still love to hate BU but with Maine sucking so much the last few years, I really can't too excited any more. In fact I'm not even going tonight, Maine sucks, they aren't even entertaining, other than Joey, Jake and Marty. I might go tomorrow, depending on what the ol' lady wants to do.

Jeez Wally. You're not a true fan. ;)

Priceless
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I was at the "1" game, sucked but I too think it propelled Maine to win it all. The next night was one of the most thorough beat downs I've ever witnessed. The best part was the crowd, Maine fans were some ****ed and there were a couple of BU fans standing near me, I'm pretty sure they were family of one of the players. Younger brother and sister and another friend. They thought they were going to win on Saturday also. They had a big sign taunting the Maine crowd near them. Once Maine got a big lead, Maine fans started taunting them until someone ran up and took the kids sign, cops had to come break it up.

Again, I have a slightly different recollection. The crowd the next night sucked - in particular the crowd in the upper bowl. I went so far as to provide them with the words to the Stein Song and encouraged them to sing along. Lot of good that did. We were up 2-0 and BU scored. It was dead silent, with the exception of a handful of BU fans down in the corner. I was in my box at the top of the stands filming the game, turned to my friend and said, "Why am I even hearing them? What is this, Walter Brown Arena?" My voice carried and everyone in the upper bowl on that side heard me. Dozens of heads turned and I wondered if I could rappel down the back wall using the video cable. Fortunately just then the Naked Five came by to rally the fans and then the Ferraro twins teamed up for a goal and we never looked back. The 1991-92 renovation was the worst thing that happened to Maine hockey, from a fan perspective. You watch AlFond Memories and Shawn talks about how raucous the fans were, how the noise was deafening after a timeout or a TV break...we never got that back, even when we were going through a 42-1-2 season.

BU2K
02-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Me too then. Its been at least 15 years since I have missed a game at Maine, single, double or even Sunday afternoon.

Priceless
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Me too then. Its been at least 15 years since I have missed a game at Maine, single, double or even Sunday afternoon.

You may miss a few games; that doesn't diminish your status as a fan. When you start hoping for your program to get embarrassed on national TV or to finish 8th so they can get "schooled" by Boston College, then you generally aren't a true fan.

walrus
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
The 1991-92 renovation was the worst thing that happened to Maine hockey, from a fan perspective. .
I agree, I swear some of my hearing loss is a result of home games at Alfond pre the renovation. God it was loud in there.

Priceless
Was it 92 93 that you were walking to scorers box pregame and slipped and hit your head? Didn't you get carted off after the fall? I think it was you?

DaveStPaul
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
That Frozen Four was the only one that featured the top four teams of the decade: Maine, BU, Lake State and Michigan. Those four teams were so far above everyone else in the rankings.

Me thinks you is mistaken.... I don't read "boston college" anywhere there...

As I am sure you are aware, Boston College sucked in those years :p

Again, mistaken!!!! bc best ever!

I was just watching the 95 NCAA Championship game highlights (What can I say, Some people learn a new language, others read fine literature, . . . :o) and the announcer goes, "Hockey East is going to have to improve as a league. Right now it's only BU and Maine. They need the other teams, Northeastern, Boston College, to be relevant on the national stage" or something like that. :eek:

defkit
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I was just watching the 95 NCAA Championship game highlights (What can I say, Some people learn a new language, others read fine literature, . . . :o) and the announcer goes, "Hockey East is going to have to improve as a league. Right now it's only BU and Maine. They need the other teams, Northeastern, Boston College, to be relevant on the national stage" or something like that. :eek:

BC finished in the lower half of the standings from 1992 to 1996, if memory serves. Once the Emma-Heinze-McGinnis group left, there was very little talent left. BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU) but had good talent leftover and coming in (some guy named Kariya showed up after one gap year). BC had guys named Callahan, Hymovitz, and Sparrow.

Am I right that Maine lost guys? I recall reading somewhere how thrilled was that Jean-Yves Roy did not make the Canadian Olympic team, so maybe he was back.

defkit
02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Starman is a CBSS guy, not an NBCS guy, right? I don't think I can take three hours of "Jam" and Escobedo man-love. :D:D

Priceless
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I agree, I swear some of my hearing loss is a result of home games at Alfond pre the renovation. God it was loud in there.

Priceless
Was it 92 93 that you were walking to scorers box pregame and slipped and hit your head? Didn't you get carted off after the fall? I think it was you?
That wasn't me. I was located on the other side of the arena. "My box" is the blue structure at the top of sec BB.

A friend of mine was staying in Corbett Hall, across from the arena, back in 1989 when Maine was playing the epic double OT game against Providence. He knew Maine had won because he could hear the crowd explode - even though his window was closed. That will never happen again.

Priceless
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
BC finished in the lower half of the standings from 1992 to 1996, if memory serves. Once the Emma-Heinze-McGinnis group left, there was very little talent left. BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU) but had good talent leftover and coming in (some guy named Kariya showed up after one gap year). BC had guys named Callahan, Hymovitz, and Sparrow.

Am I right that Maine lost guys? I recall reading somewhere how thrilled was that Jean-Yves Roy did not make the Canadian Olympic team, so maybe he was back.

JY did not make the Olympic team that year, as he was cut in mid-September. He was still their leading scorer when we played them October 19. As I recall, the only player we lost was Keith Carney in 1991-92. The next year we lost Scott Pellerin, Martin Robitaille and Brian Downey, plus Roy went pro with the Rangers...but we managed to replace them.... :)

walrus
02-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Roy and Keith Carney left after the 92 season, both could have played in 92-93:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

mookie1995
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
BU and Maine both lost similar talent after that 1990-1991 season to graduation, NHL and Olympics (Amonte, McEachern, Tkachuk, Lachance, Tomlison for BU)...

BU also sent adrian aucoin to the CAD olympic team

all bear
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, when Robittaile (sp) scored that game winner backhand against Providence and BBG boback gaudreau ______ line, the roof came off the building. It was an epic win.

walrus
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah, when Robittaile (sp) scored that game winner against Providence and BBG boback gaudreau ______ line, the roof came off the building. It was an epic win.
I was at that game also, no wonder todays teams just don't cut it

all bear
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I was at that game also, no wonder todays teams just don't cut it

Yeah, that was an NCAA quarterfinal game iirc and Providence was on fire coming into that game and were favored to win it. Oh yeah, Bennett was the other member of that line. Good times.