Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Pretty good odds that at least one Michigan team will make the Final Whatever each season with four to pick from - MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU and BGSU is closer to Grand Rapids than any of the UP teams so they should travel at least as well.

Ryan J
    I do think both Tech and Northern would be among the stronger draws in Grand Rapids. Both have drawn well playing in Detroit. And both have pretty solid alumni bases in that part of the state.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I think ticket prices and advertising will be hugely important for the WCHA tournament. The NCAA's advertising was nearly non-existent and ticket prices were to high for people to bring their families/kids.

The NCAA's had a bunch of single guys, not any families. It also didn't help that they started games in the middle of the afternoon, it was not set up to draw the maximum number of fans. If the WCHA is going to draw better lower ticket prices and better games times would be a start. Also, hopefully they can partner with VanAndel and offer the $1 dogs and $1 beers promotion (this is what the arena does every Friday night, during the playoffs they bumped it up to $2). I'm assuming beer will be sold at the event, or is this wrong?

I listen to a lot of radio, and quite a bit to the local GR ESPN affiliate. I heard maybe a half-dozen radio commercials total for the NCAA's the entire two weeks before the event. Most people I talked to had no clue it was even happening. Partnering with the Griffins in this respect will be hugely important. They need to advertise downtown, at the breweries, on radio, do morning spots on the local news stations, email season ticket holders, etc. The NCAA's didn't put any work at all into getting their product visible, the WCHA has to better.

Getting some Michigan schools in it during the GR years would obviously be big. Considering the size of the crowd I was impressed by the number of CCHA jerseys I saw during the NCAAs. They were mostly from the smaller state schools (UM and MSU sent virtually NOBODY - due to their march madness games occurring at the same time I suppose). I would think Ferris, NMU, and Tech would all draw pretty well in GR, they have decent alumni bases here.

The WCHA is not going to sell out VanAndel, it holds almost 11,000, it's not going to happen. The Griffins only sold out ONE of their playoff games (and that was a potential clincher being up 3-0 on a Friday night). During hockey season however they draw much better (about 7500 I believe). With a lot of hard work and and good prices I think the WCHA should be hoping for 5-7k.
      Ferris State University - 2012 Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by Jwilly48 View Post
        I think ticket prices and advertising will be hugely important for the WCHA tournament. The NCAA's advertising was nearly non-existent and ticket prices were to high for people to bring their families/kids.

The NCAA's had a bunch of single guys, not any families. It also didn't help that they started games in the middle of the afternoon, it was not set up to draw the maximum number of fans. If the WCHA is going to draw better lower ticket prices and better games times would be a start. Also, hopefully they can partner with VanAndel and offer the $1 dogs and $1 beers promotion (this is what the arena does every Friday night, during the playoffs they bumped it up to $2). I'm assuming beer will be sold at the event, or is this wrong?

I listen to a lot of radio, and quite a bit to the local GR ESPN affiliate. I heard maybe a half-dozen radio commercials total for the NCAA's the entire two weeks before the event. Most people I talked to had no clue it was even happening. Partnering with the Griffins in this respect will be hugely important. They need to advertise downtown, at the breweries, on radio, do morning spots on the local news stations, email season ticket holders, etc. The NCAA's didn't put any work at all into getting their product visible, the WCHA has to better.
        Getting some Michigan schools in it during the GR years would obviously be big. Considering the size of the crowd I was impressed by the number of CCHA jerseys I saw during the NCAAs. They were mostly from the smaller state schools (UM and MSU sent virtually NOBODY - due to their march madness games occurring at the same time I suppose). I would think Ferris, NMU, and Tech would all draw pretty well in GR, they have decent alumni bases here.

The WCHA is not going to sell out VanAndel, it holds almost 11,000, it's not going to happen. The Griffins only sold out ONE of their playoff games (and that was a potential clincher being up 3-0 on a Friday night). During hockey season however they draw much better (about 7500 I believe). With a lot of hard work and and good prices I think the WCHA should be hoping for 5-7k.
        I don't think you can put the blame on the NCAA for what I bolded in regards to the NCAA Regioinals. The way I understand it, whoever is hosting the event is in charge of all the things you mentioned. Granted the NCAA has some rules that you have to live by, but the event host/committee has to set the ticket prices, get the advertising out there, etc. The NCAA is going to get the money they were promised in the bid and it is up to the committee to try and maximize profits.

I would guess the WCHA will be more involved in this event due to the fact that the schools share in any profits made if the contracts are like the previous ones for the WCHA Final Fives. There is an incentive there, where with the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA was getting the same amount of money no matter what.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I like the idea of streaming via the internet! Now I just hope the WCHA starts up a Roku channel like the USHL. It would be great!
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Apparently Mel Pearson is on the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee going forward.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              I'm curious. What makes hockey at the Target Center much worse than anywhere else? I've never been there.
              The lower level is fine. The upper level is like the kohl center and you have blind spots and the real upper seats are mile away from the ice.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                The lower level is fine. The upper level is like the kohl center and you have blind spots and the real upper seats are mile away from the ice.
                I prefer the upper level of the Kohl center. If you're in a good spot up there you can see everything.
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                  I don't think you can put the blame on the NCAA for what I bolded in regards to the NCAA Regioinals. The way I understand it, whoever is hosting the event is in charge of all the things you mentioned. Granted the NCAA has some rules that you have to live by, but the event host/committee has to set the ticket prices, get the advertising out there, etc. The NCAA is going to get the money they were promised in the bid and it is up to the committee to try and maximize profits.

I would guess the WCHA will be more involved in this event due to the fact that the schools share in any profits made if the contracts are like the previous ones for the WCHA Final Fives. There is an incentive there, where with the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA was getting the same amount of money no matter what.
                  I agree that you can't place all the blame on the NCAAs, they got paid either way. But my larger point was they decided to host an event here and called it good. They did little to make sure the event was a success; it is this approach that I would hope the WCHA is smart enough to avoid as they have more at stake.
                  Ferris State University - 2012 Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    I do think both Tech and Northern would be among the stronger draws in Grand Rapids. Both have drawn well playing in Detroit. And both have pretty solid alumni bases in that part of the state.
                    Tech fans do travel fairly well, and at GVSU football games there's usually a good turnout of MTU alumni that seems to be from the area. Northern Michigan usually isn't too far behind Tech. I would feel pretty confident about filling the Van Andel most years if the WCHA had managed to collect Western Michigan, if for nothing more than to give them another alumni body in the area to draw fans from. Somebody had to screw that up for everybody!
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

They're saying all games for free, high def, streaming package.

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...t-fit-for-WCHA
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post

*****http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif******

Great quotes for McLeod (I know):
                        “This is extremely important,” McLeod said. “It’s an indication as a group of how competitive we are. This group, we’re going to compete. We’re not rolling over in any shape or form. To do that, we need to have a media presence both regionally and nationally, and this is our opportunity.”
                        Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          *****http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif******

Great quotes for McLeod (I know):
                          “This is extremely important,” McLeod said. “It’s an indication as a group of how competitive we are. This group, we’re going to compete. We’re not rolling over in any shape or form. To do that, we need to have a media presence both regionally and nationally, and this is our opportunity.”
                          I'm speechless. This is amazing news. I'm more excited about this than anything tech hockey related besides tMel.
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post

But he and the league indeed appear to be on the cusp of latching onto something new, something that would be perfect for the WCHA as it heads into a new era full of so many questions.

No announcements or press releases came out of a meeting between presidents, athletic directors and other representatives of the WCHA’s member schools last week in Bemidji. However, a proposal for a league-wide media package was presented to the group, one that would put all of the teams’ games online for free every Friday and Saturday night.

The supposed high-definition, multi-platform (computer, tablet, handheld) broadcast deal, reportedly through a service of Fox Sports and the new network it will be unveiling later this summer, might be the perfect format for a conference seeking a new identity.
                            Don't want to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, but this doesn't seem to be a done deal at this point. I am all for it though and would even pay a fee if need be.
                            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                              Don't want to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, but this doesn't seem to be a done deal at this point. I am all for it though and would even pay a fee if need be.
                              Same here, I'd but if they are looking towards it for exposure purposes, free and ad supported is the way to go. Not everyone is a diehard fan like most of us here

Comment

Guess who might be back in the WCHA, if UAH can come up with some coin.

Comment

Working...
                                X