Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

It's going to be a tough draw at either site. The CCHA attendance the last few years at the Joe was subpar and that featured either MI, MSU or both. Not to mention, an Ohio team usually snuck in to the equation.

If out-of-state teams end up at each respective Tourney, the WCHA better put on their marketing pants because they are going to need all the host-city fan support they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      And don't forget, the WCHA tourneys in StcPaul will compete with the NCHC tourney at the Target Center at the same time
      Anyone who has seen a hockey game at Target Center wouldn't go back willingly, to see a team they have no rooting interest for. Terrible venue.

edit: I guess shirtless got to it before me.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Yeah, I don't think anyone that has seen a hockey game at Target Center would voluntarily choose to attend a game there that didn't involve their team.
        What's interesting is that Target Center doesn't own hockey boards, glass, or even a Zamboni(at least that I've seen backstage). The last time they had a game there, they bought brand new boards and sold them the next day to an arena in Iowa. They're also replacing all the jacks that raises the floor for hockey. The other issue they had was when they put in new seats 8-9 years ago, they didn't allow for the openings from the hockey locker rooms to the benches. Renovations are supposed to start next summer to Target Center too.

Comment

Bruce McLeod has hinted that he will retire at the end of next season, so perhaps that's why he's staying in his office at DU.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Bruce McLeod has hinted that he will retire at the end of next season, so perhaps that's why he's staying in his office at DU.
            He's just trying to get tenure at DU so he qualifies for pension!
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I bet they use a tarp to close off the upper bowl in order to make it look full for television.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I'm curious. What makes hockey at the Target Center much worse than anywhere else? I've never been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  He's just trying to get tenure at DU so he qualifies for pension!
                  He has probably already knocked out the wall between his and Gwoz's offices, and doubled the size of his lair.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    I'm curious. What makes hockey at the Target Center much worse than anywhere else? I've never been there.
                    Terrible sightlines. Something like half of the seats are obstructed views.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Terrible sightlines. Something like half of the seats are obstructed views.
                      Now...how would it compare to the Barclay's Center?

Comment

Regarding games at GR.
                        I think you need to draw at least half the crowd from the local population. In order to do that maybe you offer a package deal to Griffins season ticket holders which gives them the games at half price and you let kids in for 2 dollars. Also you have offers in the supermarkets for kids nights etc. No matter what, I think you have to target the Griffins season ticket holders in some way to get half a chance at a good crowd. I think you give it away rather than play to an empty rink.

If you have any of the eastern half of the league in, there will be some fans, but you can't expect a lot even for Ferris.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Regarding games at GR.
                          I think you need to draw at least half the crowd from the local population. In order to do that maybe you offer a package deal to Griffins season ticket holders which gives them the games at half price and you let kids in for 2 dollars. Also you have offers in the supermarkets for kids nights etc. No matter what, I think you have to target the Griffins season ticket holders in some way to get half a chance at a good crowd. I think you give it away rather than play to an empty rink.

If you have any of the eastern half of the league in, there will be some fans, but you can't expect a lot even for Ferris.
                          Sadly, giving away tickets is not the way to go. It is better to play in a 6 to 8 thousand seat arena in Michigan before tickets should be given away.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            Sadly, giving away tickets is not the way to go. It is better to play in a 6 to 8 thousand seat arena in Michigan before tickets should be given away.
                            Flint 2018! There is an NAHL team that plays in the suitably dumpy Perani Arena.

*****http://arenadigest.com/images/stories/mlhockey/perani1.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              I don't mean giving it away literally. I mean giving it away figuratively. I also mean cutting the price to get butts in the seats. What this league needs is exposure. Having an empty arena or one that appears empty is not a good idea.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                My concern is where Ferris or even a Michigan team isn't involved. I'm not sure Bemidji v Fairbanks or Mankato v Bowling Green will be a big draw.
                                Pretty good odds that at least one Michigan team will make the Final Whatever each season with four to pick from - MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU and BGSU is closer to Grand Rapids than any of the UP teams so they should travel at least as well.

Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X