Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Thank you. Very much.

The person to whom that is intended knows what that is for.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
      Good news, I just wish it was Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
      Another post from the north end of a south bound Pony.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        So I was at Game Five of the Calder Cup finals between the Grand Rapids Griffins and the Syracuse Crunch and...

... Van Andel Arena definitely has potential to be one Hell of a venue for the WCHA Championship. 10k capacity and it gets LOUD in there with how on top of the ice the fans are. I really think any impressions given from the NCAA regionals will not be the same. With some good marketing and tie-ins by the Griffins, it's going to be a fun place to play for the league title.

I really can't wait for the 2015 Championship. I just hope the Wildcats can be there to compete. Lots of activity around the area too after the game; we waited around a bit to catch up with some people we knew, and lots of people were walking around the arena going to various bars and restaurants.
        The tourneys at Van Andel are '14 & '16

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          I have to say I'm pretty skeptical that more than a couple thousand fans will go to games there, nice environment or not. I'd be shocked if it had even 5000.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
            Whoops. for some reason I was thinking the WCHA was in St. Paul this upcoming year and the B1G was in Detroit.

Manure: Average attendance for the early game at JLA was pathetic, but in a 10k venue, that small crowd can be much louder. And, Grand Rapids doesn't have the stigma to tourists that Detroit does. I really think 7500 is an achievable number for attendance. And, that happens to be the average attendance for Griffins games.

There will need to be work between the WCHA and Griffins. Promote it is a chance to see future AHL stars before they play for/against the Griffins. Play up the Griffins "NHL'ers start here" campaign.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Whoops. for some reason I was thinking the WCHA was in St. Paul this upcoming year and the B1G was in Detroit.

Manure: Average attendance for the early game at JLA was pathetic, but in a 10k venue, that small crowd can be much louder. And, Grand Rapids doesn't have the stigma to tourists that Detroit does. I really think 7500 is an achievable number for attendance. And, that happens to be the average attendance for Griffins games.

There will need to be work between the WCHA and Griffins. Promote it is a chance to see future AHL stars before they play for/against the Griffins. Play up the Griffins "NHL'ers start here" campaign.
              I have 2 words to summarize the promotion of this: Tailgating Olympics. Several events, Gold-Silver-Bronze in each. Play for drink tickets at local, sponsoring bars, to be used after the game, in conjunction with a game ticket.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

My concern is where Ferris or even a Michigan team isn't involved. I'm not sure Bemidji v Fairbanks or Mankato v Bowling Green will be a big draw.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  My concern is where Ferris or even a Michigan team isn't involved. I'm not sure Bemidji v Fairbanks or Mankato v Bowling Green will be a big draw.
                  Agreed. My wife has already informed me to save my money for the St. Paul years. But on a more serious note, remember that the winner (and maybe others) will go to a regional the following week. Do you want to travel to both? We all want to recreate the Final 5 atmosphere and attendance, but the Final 5 had several advantages, not the least of which was that that 5 schools in the old WCHA were from Minnesota, and 2 others were from "suburbs" of Minnesota. And with the Gophers and Badgers, you had 2 huge state schools with a lot of alumni in the MSP area. How many Ferris or Kato, or even NMU or LSSU alumni are in the Grand Rapids area? For that matter, how many LSSU alumni exist anywhere? Kato went from being 7th or 8th in enrollment in the old WCHA to 2nd or 3rd in the nWCHA. Even in St. Paul, we can't expect to draw like the old Final 5 did, but in GR it likely will be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    ...There will need to be work between the WCHA and Griffins. Promote it is a chance to see future AHL stars before they play for/against the Griffins. Play up the Griffins "NHL'ers start here" campaign.
                    I wasn't able to make it to any of the recent Griffins games in GR (health issues), but two of the games were on TV. When the TV cameras would pan the crowd, I couldn't believe how many little kids (elementary age) were at the games. I asked a friend who went to games 4 and 5 about this and he said it was some kind of package ticket deal for families or some such thing. Plus they had $2 hot dogs and $2 beers (something like that) for much of the game.

There is somewhat of a hockey culture here in GR; but, I think davyd is right, if there aren't any Michigan teams in the WCHA finals you're not going to get much of a turnout. The WCHA is definitely going to have to team up with the Griffins and offer all kinds of ticket incentives, promotions, bargains, rebates, layaways, deals, giveaways, aid, and assistance (you get the picture) to draw a crowd for college hockey games here in Grand Rapids.
                    Last edited by aygwm2; 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM.
                    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      Agreed. My wife has already informed me to save my money for the St. Paul years. But on a more serious note, remember that the winner (and maybe others) will go to a regional the following week. Do you want to travel to both? We all want to recreate the Final 5 atmosphere and attendance, but the Final 5 had several advantages, not the least of which was that that 5 schools in the old WCHA were from Minnesota, and 2 others were from "suburbs" of Minnesota. And with the Gophers and Badgers, you had 2 huge state schools with a lot of alumni in the MSP area. How many Ferris or Kato, or even NMU or LSSU alumni are in the Grand Rapids area? For that matter, how many LSSU alumni exist anywhere? Kato went from being 7th or 8th in enrollment in the old WCHA to 2nd or 3rd in the nWCHA. Even in St. Paul, we can't expect to draw like the old Final 5 did, but in GR it likely will be even worse.
                      I am just as concerned for a Ferris-Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior-Michigan Tech matchup in St Paul.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I am just as concerned for a Ferris-Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior-Michigan Tech matchup in St Paul.
                        I'm even concerned with a Kato- Bemidji matchup in St. Paul. It would draw well if it were the final, but I don't think even that would sell out. The schools in our conference just aren't that big. I don't think tradition, or TV contract, or even quality of hockey are the big disadvantages the nWCHA faces. I think it's fewer students, fewer alumni, and more distance between schools.

Comment

The conference tournament will be a very interesting situation. How will things go? Will enough non-WCHA gopher fans decide to go to see hockey in person? Depends on prices in St. Paul. In GR, you're going to need to BG and Michigan Schools front and center in the tournament or get a large amount of Griffins fans to check it out.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            The conference tournament will be a very interesting situation. How will things go? Will enough non-WCHA gopher fans decide to go to see hockey in person? Depends on prices in St. Paul. In GR, you're going to need to BG and Michigan Schools front and center in the tournament or get a large amount of Griffins fans to check it out.
                            And don't forget, the WCHA tourneys in StcPaul will compete with the NCHC tourney at the Target Center at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              GR has a great area around the arena, and you're not going to have the NCAA No Fun Police there either as part of a championship.
                              The Bob right across the street and I liked the Spanish Tapis place there too. When I was there I stayed too far away from the arena(it was for work for the NCAAs in 2004). The other thing I remember was the it was hot inside the arena... That and everyday while doing a live shot, I had a different drunk to deal with...

Comment

And don't forget, the WCHA tourneys in StcPaul will compete with the NCHC tourney at the Target Center at the same time
                                Yeah, I don't think anyone that has seen a hockey game at Target Center would voluntarily choose to attend a game there that didn't involve their team.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X