Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
    What about ESPNU?
    All joking aside, if the ESPN family was not interested in the old WCHA, which had marquee programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota and could deliver major metropolitan areas like the Twin Cities and Denver, it's not likely that they will be jumping on the new WCHA for on air or cable coverage. I also think chances are quite slim that they will even be interested for an online feed.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      All joking aside, if the ESPN family was not interested in the old WCHA, which had marquee programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota and could deliver major metropolitan areas like the Twin Cities and Denver, it's not likely that they will be jumping on the new WCHA for on air or cable coverage. I also think chances are quite slim that they will even be interested for an online feed.
      I guess it would all matter whether the college sports channels, looking for unscripted winter content at the Division I level, decides to take on the smallest western league. I'm ignorant: does NCHC have a deal?

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Why would anyone be intrested. In a bush league like the WCHA.

The league offers nothing to any sports fan in the universe.

The WCHA is lucky to be on radio in Soo, Michigan.

Heck you can't even find a fan sitting in a seat in Marqueete because

Everybody is drinking at the local bowling alley.

Who cares about league that doesnt have Minnesota and North Dakotas.

For a media guy you don't have any confidence in the WCHA.

I hope they don't invite you to the media day. The WCHA needs more

Bashers like you.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I guess it would all matter whether the college sports channels, looking for unscripted winter content at the Division I level, decides to take on the smallest western league. I'm ignorant: does NCHC have a deal?

GFM
          NCHC will be on CBSSN.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            NCHC will be on CBSSN.
            What channel is that on? I cant find it on my tv.

Comment

Why would anyone be intrested. In a bush league like the WCHA.

The league offers nothing to any sports fan in the universe.

The WCHA is lucky to be on radio in Soo, Michigan.

Heck you can't even find a fan sitting in a seat in Marqueete because

Everybody is drinking at the local bowling alley.

Who cares about league that doesnt have Minnesota and North Dakotas.

For a media guy you don't have any confidence in the WCHA.

I hope they don't invite you to the media day. The WCHA needs more

Bashers like you.
              now that you've ranted, please define why ESPN U, which didn't take the old WCHA, would want the new WCHA. What nationally marketable traits does the new configuration have that the old one didn't.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

now that you've ranted, please define why ESPN U, which didn't take the old WCHA, would want the new WCHA. What nationally marketable traits does the new configuration have that the old one didn't.
                It has a National look to it. You know from Alaska to Alabama.

If you can sell the Jamacian Bob Sled team to sports people. You can sell college hockey from Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  NCHC will be on CBSSN.
                  Thank you, sir.

Dave: the only reason is that ESPNU has been casting its net far and wide. The first hoops conference to get coverage outside of the BCS ones was the Atlantic Sun (which coincidentally has two UAH guys in SID departments). I think that ESPN may see it as a property. I don't think that they will, though. If breadth and depth are your goal, you do it. Also, those comments about investments make sense, because an ESPNU setup isn't cheap.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

It has a National look to it. You know from Alaska to Alabama.

If you can sell the Jamacian Bob Sled team to sports people. You can sell college hockey from Alabama.
                    Yeah, that will sell national advertisers who wouldn't bother with a league that had Minneapolis/ St Paul, Denver, Omaha and Madison. Fairbanks, Huntsville and the Soo will easily deliver the ratings and demographics those accounts desire. The Minneapolis/ St Paul market, which wasn't enough to attract enough national advertising support to get the old WCHA on their network delivers more viewers than all six of the new WCHA markets COMBINED. Now would you be willing to bet $1,000 on ESPNU signing up the WCHA to a game of the week contract? To drop one if those weekend college BBall games to send a truck and crew to Bemidji for that game of the week blockbuster between Bemidji and Lake Superior State? I'm sure Saatchi & Saatchi and Translation will jump all over that.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Because the old configuration was a bunch of "me-me-me" types who wanted their own separate deals (DU/UNO on NBCSN, Minn on FSN-North, Wisconsin on WPTV, UND on FSSN (only available on 8' dish)...). The new group are much more ... revenue sharing minded...
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Oh, has anyone heard from the WCHA pow-wow in Bemidji? The Twitter seems silent tonight.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Because the old configuration was a bunch of "me-me-me" types who wanted their own separate deals (DU/UNO on NBCSN, Minn on FSN-North, Wisconsin on WPTV, UND on FSSN (only available on 8' dish)...). The new group are much more ... revenue sharing minded...
                          No network wanted the whole league. Nobody was pushing for the rights to Omaha at Tech or UAA at Mankato. The Fox Sports affiliates in Minnesoata and Wisconsin can make far more money with the Gophers or Badgers vs anybody than they can off Tech at Duluth.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I can't see ESPN doing it, unless the video/audio feeds were uniform across all 10 schools so they could use the ESPN3 WatchESPN platform to simulcast the video feeds.

A proprietary system like WCHA.tv makes the most sense if they're looking at making the feeds uniform. Otherwise, just push everyone to offer a B2 feed and call it a day. Schools like Michigan Tech (and I believe UAA?) showed that they can (likely) do it successfully without paying much of a middle man (B2 Network).

I wonder if Fox Sports 1/2 is part of this. Would make some sense with the WCHA's ties to FSN-North, and former CCHA coverage on FSN-Detroit. A weekly game on Friday nights would offer some filler material for the new Fox Sports 2 (or even Fox Sports 1) during the winter to compete against NBCSN and CBSSN. And with Fox Sports' ambitious plans of simulcasting some NHL and MLB games on FoxSports1, it could be a good compliment.

My money is on FSN-North being the spearhead behind this TV and Streaming package.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Yeah, that will sell national advertisers who wouldn't bother with a league that had Minneapolis/ St Paul, Denver, Omaha and Madison. Fairbanks, Huntsville and the Soo will easily deliver the ratings and demographics those accounts desire. The Minneapolis/ St Paul market, which wasn't enough to attract enough national advertising support to get the old WCHA on their network delivers more viewers than all six of the new WCHA markets COMBINED. Now would you be willing to bet $1,000 on ESPNU signing up the WCHA to a game of the week contract? To drop one if those weekend college BBall games to send a truck and crew to Bemidji for that game of the week blockbuster between Bemidji and Lake Superior State? I'm sure Saatchi & Saatchi and Translation will jump all over that.
                              One person who can help the WCHA his name happens to quite popular around the world and knows good coffee when he sees it his name is a proud NMU grad Howard Schultz owner of Starbucks.

Davyd read chapter 5 in Howard Schultz book, Pour your Heart into it. The chapter 5 is called "Naysayers Never Built A Great Enterprise."

I found a sponsor

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
                              --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Kavanagh, 1846
                              Last edited by Pink Pony; 06-09-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                                What channel is that on? I cant find it on my tv.
                                Guess you are SOL then.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X