Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    A number of issues that need to be addressed fairly soon. I would guess by the end of the coaches meetings May 1-5.

to wit:
    1. Is the WCHA going to do a better job of promoting itself. Specifically social media coverage.
    2. given the chances of a Roku channel or some other streaming set up, which is going to cost money, will fans buy it.
    3. Which team is the favorite and which teams will contend and more importantly why?
    4. Will the league do well in it's non con games.
    5. Will the rules change much, IE will we be stuck with a shootout, and where will the refs come from.
    6. Who will coach in Anchorage and will they be better this year?
    7. Will there be any league personnel changes?
    8. Are any teams doing rink renovations.
    9. Which team has the top recruiting class?

among others.
    As far as I've heard, the WCHA has no interest in pooling their streaming packages to allow the creation of a roku channel or anything like it. To watch games, you'll continue to have to buy streaming from the home team. Frustrating for all of us. I'm not even sure every team in the nWCHA streams their home games?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      As far as I've heard, the WCHA has no interest in pooling their streaming packages to allow the creation of a roku channel or anything like it. To watch games, you'll continue to have to buy streaming from the home team. Frustrating for all of us. I'm not even sure every team in the nWCHA streams their home games?
      that's too bad. I think they missed the boat on that one. At least they could do like the NHL and stream games two days later for a reasonable amount. They really do need the exposure.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

that's too bad. I think they missed the boat on that one. At least they could do like the NHL and stream games two days later for a reasonable amount. They really do need the exposure.
        We all know it but the individual schools appear too stubborn to pool the rights and try and create a more fan friendly environment for watching games, showing a game of the night, etc. I know THG tried hard to push for a wcha.tv with roku/ps3 channel but made no really headway.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We all know it but the individual schools appear too stubborn to pool the rights and try and create a more fan friendly environment for watching games, showing a game of the night, etc. I know THG tried hard to push for a wcha.tv with roku/ps3 channel but made no really headway.
          UAH would go if I gave them a hard enough push and had them a place to land. They want something for all sports. Do y'all want to help me run this to ground for us as a hope that we'll spur the league on to doing it for everyone? It'd be just like our old ASID going up to Lipscomb U in Nashville and being the first non-BCS school to do ESPN3.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• As for #8, UAF is doing some renovations to the Carlson Center. Mainly a big locker room upgrade. There is a section about the project at alaskananooks.com.

A number of issues that need to be addressed fairly soon. I would guess by the end of the coaches meetings May 1-5.

to wit:
            1. Is the WCHA going to do a better job of promoting itself. Specifically social media coverage.
            2. given the chances of a Roku channel or some other streaming set up, which is going to cost money, will fans buy it.
            3. Which team is the favorite and which teams will contend and more importantly why?
            4. Will the league do well in it's non con games.
            5. Will the rules change much, IE will we be stuck with a shootout, and where will the refs come from.
            6. Who will coach in Anchorage and will they be better this year?
            7. Will there be any league personnel changes?
            8. Are any teams doing rink renovations.
            9. Which team has the top recruiting class?

among others.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              H. Huntsville is not. Everything that was done here was done two seasons ago. We desperately need a new locker room, and it would be nice if the VBC would work with us on renovating the visiting locker room, but we're having to raise that money ourselves.
              Is this the same locker room that the visiting team for the Havoc use? Maybe I am missing a message or two, but shouldn't this cost be covered by more than one entity?

Please give more details.

-John <- Although I live in Denver metro, I used to have season tickets to UAH because my work used to allow me many trips to Huntsville, and I supported the team through the "difficult" years. PS - I am the guy who wears UAH to the DU games, to the embarrassment to my wife and my 4 year old son. You sometimes see me on national TV as I sit immediately behind the visitors bench.

Comment

*****http://www.wolfkeeper.org/board/images/smilies/banghead.gif******

Un. *ing. Believable.

Very frustrating. Watching MLB.tv (on AppleTV though) is so worth the price, and makes it absolutely easy to watch multiple games a night. Would easily have plunked down $50 or $70 for a season worth of WCHA.tv.

Even MiLB.com offers a TV package... for $30 only!
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Mankato is putting in new ice-making equipment, new boards and glass. Depending on state funding there may also be new locker rooms and training facilities. http://mankatofreepress.com/local/x2...-making-system
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                    Is this the same locker room that the visiting team for the Havoc use? Maybe I am missing a message or two, but shouldn't this cost be covered by more than one entity?

Please give more details.

-John <- Although I live in Denver metro, I used to have season tickets to UAH because my work used to allow me many trips to Huntsville, and I supported the team through the "difficult" years. PS - I am the guy who wears UAH to the DU games, to the embarrassment to my wife and my 4 year old son. You sometimes see me on national TV as I sit immediately behind the visitors bench.
                    When you enter the skate lobby at UAH, there's a hallway to the immediate left that leads to the officials' locker room. Further forward (10 ft) in the lobby on that same side is the visiting team's locker room. Honestly, I don't know what they do when UAH and the Havoc play back-to-back, because I don't think that there are two locker rooms on that side. Maybe Douglas will chime in. The first time I had ever been in a locker room on that side was when I interviewed Mike Hastings when Mankato visited this year. That locker room (or rooms) exits further to the left; both the refs and the visiting team come through the corner opposite the Zam door.

On the right side, there's a long hallway that mirrors the walkway above it on the concourse. The Havoc have the side on the left (closer to the ice), and while I've never been in their room (but have peeked in), they have the bigger room. UAH is on the right, further away from the ice, in a terrible area that just isn't suited for a team over 24 players. It's always been terrible, and I expect that it's no better now than it was 20 years ago; I know it's very little better than it was a decade ago when I was in there all the time doing radio. They ripped out the plumbing and re-fit everything this year, but I was with Kurt when he did the walk through, and ... well, neither of us were impressed with the changes. He looked at me, and all I had to offer was, "It's better than it has been, Coach." He just shook his head and walked out, and I could see it being put on a mental checklist of Things I Want to Change Around Here. We really need to gut the place and move all the walls and plumbing. Ideally, you'd get better access into the training room and lay that out differently, too. The big problem is that we're in a wedge-shaped part of the building that doesn't have a ton of room to move.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

BG made major renovations a couple years ago (locker rooms, hockey lounge/coaches office, ice making, lighting, entrance way, reconfigured mult-purpose ice, pro shop). Recently they have been giving the arena a facelift with new paint and lots of graphic wraps all over the arena. They also added a BGSU history area with the NCAA trophy and a Hobey Baker and a couple alumni jerseys. They also added the retired number plaques/hall of fame on the walls in the hallway under the stands, new banners, championship team picture plaques when you walk in, and I'm sure they are replacing the CCHA mural with a WCHA one showing all the teams logos. Also I think that they are putting up a CCHA memorial area.

Locker Room Renovations Tour

Ice Arena Mural Project
                      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7798273&type=3

More Arena Photos
                      http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiu...a-s1070/images

Training Facility
                      *****http://www.athleticbusiness.com/galleries/images/large/008C-608-AB.jpg******

With all the upgrades recently BG is said to have some of the better facilities in the country.
                      Bring Back the Glory...

1984 NCAA National Champions
                      2 members of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Hockey Team

Comment

I like the putting green.

Comment

Originally posted by Husky Fan 88 View Post
                          It looks like it came off the set of "The Price Is Right"
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                            It looks like it came off the set of "The Price Is Right"
                            We don't need that. You can golf year-round here.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              We don't need that. You can golf year-round here.

GFM
                              Last year at this time, I was out golfing here.... This year, I still have a five foot snow drift in my back yard and they are talking another 4" to 8" of snow tomorrow and Thursday. None of the courses are close to opening up.

And my daughter would really like her "big girl" bike out of the shed SOON! But, that shed is behind the drift and it is on the north side of the house. It could be June before I see the inside of that shed.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by Husky Fan 88 View Post
                                That's actually in the Sebo Center attached to the football stadium and shared with all sports. I believe there is a smaller workout area attached to the hockey locker room itself, but it's not suited for use by the entire team at the same time. It's more for individual workouts and warming up before games/practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X