Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    "New" logo:
    http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1213/201303/mar23wcm.php

"Powerful" revisions: Move hockey player to the left, make him red, add tail to "W". Done.
    To think they paid money to someone to come up with this.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA 3, Revenge of the Sieve (2013-14)

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      Grand Rapids is more likely to draw a bigger crew from the LSSU delegation than if it were just about anywhere else (even the Soo believe it or not). The Soo is only a town of 10,000 or so and most LSSU students come from downstate Michigan and return there after graduation, and Grand Rapids is about as attractive and centrally located locale as you will find in the state of Michigan, it is a very vibrant "cool" city . Alumni make up the majority of the attendance at these types of events as it is....especially when you consider that LSSU struggles to fill half of their home arena with students and townsfolk it is silly to count on those two demographics for any sizeable attendance numbers regardless of where the tournament is
      Grand Rapids will be a successful location if the Michigan schools are there. There are plenty of alumni from Ferris, LSSU, Tech, and Northern in the lower peninsula and Grand Rapids area. If the WCHA wants to make a footprint in Michigan, having the tournament in Grand Rapids makes a lot of sense. Van Andel is a nice arena with good sight lines, and Grand Rapids is a nice town to make a trip to with a vibrant downtown and plenty of good restaurants and bars close to the arena. Tech fans have been willing to go to the GLI for years with little result, Tech fans showed up at Michigan Stadium for the fundraiser game with GVSU, they'll show up in Grand Rapids to see Tech play for a spot in the NCAA tournament.

Not to mention I'd have to think Bemidji fans would want to return to the site of one of the biggest weekends in program history.
      Beat em' Beat em' MTU!!!
      Northern Sucks

Comment

• Originally posted by TECHFAN View Post
        Grand Rapids will be a successful location if the Michigan schools are there. There are plenty of alumni from Ferris, LSSU, Tech, and Northern in the lower peninsula and Grand Rapids area. If the WCHA wants to make a footprint in Michigan, having the tournament in Grand Rapids makes a lot of sense. Van Andel is a nice arena with good sight lines, and Grand Rapids is a nice town to make a trip to with a vibrant downtown and plenty of good restaurants and bars close to the arena. Tech fans have been willing to go to the GLI for years with little result, Tech fans showed up at Michigan Stadium for the fundraiser game with GVSU, they'll show up in Grand Rapids to see Tech play for a spot in the NCAA tournament.

Not to mention I'd have to think Bemidji fans would want to return to the site of one of the biggest weekends in program history.
        I'd hope tech would have a spot clinched before then!
        Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          To think they paid money to someone to come up with this.
          Agreed...

So let's see we started with stripes...

Then we decided to go with less stripes and trendy 1990s teal...

Then we decided that less teal would be a major upgrade...

Then we got tougher... and got a bigger "W"... for "What the hell happened to the league?"

Then we decided we should skate first, and then have a tougher logo... and don't forget our new curvy "W".

And yes, someone got paid to handle all of these major design changes. Change for the sake of change my friends...
          Ryan J

PS - Off the record, I think the change was more to show that they are listening to their fans. Notice how the skaters legs look like a lower case "n". That's right... the league logo is now a subtle nWCHA.
          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Who says anyone got paid other than some schmuck in the WCHA's offices? Nothing about any of those design changes speaks to professional design. They are all clearly just ideas tossed around by a bunch of non-design professionals. Any one of dozens of people working at various WCHA institutions likely submitted all those changes. Nobody anywhere said they paid for that.

Quit the griping about the WCHA spending money that none of you have any idea that they spent or not. If it concerns you so much send an email to Bruce. He'll tell you the answer ...

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              Who says anyone got paid other than some schmuck in the WCHA's offices? Nothing about any of those design changes speaks to professional design. They are all clearly just ideas tossed around by a bunch of non-design professionals. Any one of dozens of people working at various WCHA institutions likely submitted all those changes. Nobody anywhere said they paid for that.

Quit the griping about the WCHA spending money that none of you have any idea that they spent or not. If it concerns you so much send an email to Bruce. He'll tell you the answer ...
              Do you just spend all of your time on here trying to pick fights?
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post

the press release suggests that cash exchanged hands. unless Adrenalin, Inc. does whatever they do out of the goodness of their hearts.

"The WCHA, which will sport a highly-competitive, new-look 10-team men's league next season, has continued to build on a successful decade-long relationship with Adrenalin, Inc., one of the country's top design, marketing and brand expansion teams."
                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Who says anyone got paid other than some schmuck in the WCHA's offices?
                  Actually the WCHA says so in their press announcement. The new logo was "designed" by Adrenalin, Inc. who is based in Denver, CO.
                  "We sincerely appreciate and commend the efforts of Dan Price and the top-notch team at Adrenalin, Inc."
                  http://www.goadrenalin.com/

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Actually the WCHA says so in their press announcement. The new logo was "designed" by Adrenalin, Inc. who is based in Denver, CO.
                    "We sincerely appreciate and commend the efforts of Dan Price and the top-notch team at Adrenalin, Inc."

Ryan J
                    Of course, with the way that design firms work, they probably prepared a number (I'd guess a half-dozen past a 30-minute sketch that never saw more than three pairs of eyes) of treatments for the league to review. Given the long history of Adrenalin with the WCHA, and given how the logo has evolved over the years, I think that it's safe to say that the logo we're seeing is far to the conservative end of the spectrum of offerings. I'd love to see what the other choices were.

The Old WCHA is dead. Long Live the New WCHA!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by TECHFAN View Post
                      Tech fans showed up at Michigan Stadium for the fundraiser game with GVSU
                      Heck, I was there in 2004, and I wasn't even a confirmed MTU fan yet.

However I'm a bit biased; having the WCHA tourney in Grand Rapids every March means an annual trip to Founders Brewery taproom.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                        Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        Of course, with the way that design firms work, they probably prepared a number (I'd guess a half-dozen past a 30-minute sketch that never saw more than three pairs of eyes) of treatments for the league to review. Given the long history of Adrenalin with the WCHA, and given how the logo has evolved over the years, I think that it's safe to say that the logo we're seeing is far to the conservative end of the spectrum of offerings. I'd love to see what the other choices were.

GFM
                        Who cares about the logo? Honestly, the quality of the hockey should/would matter more, but we're arguing about branding for a league that will get minimal TV time, even regionally.

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        Do you just spend all of your time on here trying to pick fights?
                        Is that even a question?

Comment

GFM

Ummm, we've got a few weeks before it becomes your conference.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Who cares about the logo? Honestly, the quality of the hockey should/would matter more, but we're arguing about branding for a league that will get minimal TV time, even regionally.
                            It's something to talk about. After all, only Mankato from the new 10 makes the tournament this year. And if they unveiled it, it's gonna get talked about.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Ummm, we've got a few weeks before it becomes your conference.
                            I missed the part where I said that it was ours right now. Am I not allowed to wish a conference that we will be joining well? C'mon.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              PS - Off the record, I think the change was more to show that they are listening to their fans. Notice how the skaters legs look like a lower case "n". That's right... the league logo is now a subtle nWCHA.
                              Sonofa*****, if that was done on purpose, that's hilarious. And awesome.

I'm not sure if Bruce McLeod owes me a beer for me helping subtly push the "New WCHA," or if I owe Bruce a beer for doing that logo. Eh, let's say Bruce owes me a beer.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I missed the part where I said that it was ours right now. Am I not allowed to wish a conference that we will be joining well? C'mon.

GFM

You said that "The Old WCHA is Dead."

I must have missed how that was wishing us well.

Comment

Working...
                                X